Author Topic: Small scooters in the pits  (Read 11144 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: Small scooters in the pits
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
Reminds me of a song that goes something like this "signs signs everywhere signs, saying do this, don't do that, can you read the sign"!
Ed

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
I checked out the Michigan Secretary of State website today and found that our little pit bike, which is so dinky that it doesn't have a title, can easily be registered and given an "ORV" sticker.  I guess I'll invest the $26.25 to avoid having Utah's finniest finest stop and harrass me. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
I checked out the Michigan Secretary of State website today and found that our little pit bike, which is so dinky that it doesn't have a title, can easily be registered and given an "ORV" sticker.  I guess I'll invest the $26.25 to avoid having Utah's finniest finest stop and harrass me. :cheers:

Why not spend $3.75 more and get Utah's.  That way you don't have to worry if they recognize Michigan's.  I'm sure they would recognize a regular plate like what is on your car or truck but if that is an off road deal for Mich. then maybe not????

Sum

Offline gande

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:38 PM »
We have an electric scooter we use to go to the head. Home charge lasts all week. Never had a problem but it's not for joy riding......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
JD--Is your Scooter a Schwinn Electric? I have one and was considering bringing it with a couple of new Batteries.No Registration needed, but is it BNI compliant?

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 07:26:38 AM »
Mini bikes, go carts and any thing smaller then a moped is not allowed, some sneak in and are usually told to park them. There have been pit accidents in the past as the reason for the rule. Small no licensed kids are not allowed to ride anything on the salt. Another rule is no riding in the back of pick up trucks or on trailers. I believe these rules pre posted on the straight away news. To be sure contact the SCTA-BNI office and ask them.
this was my impression also. Certainly no go karts and no riding in back of pick up etc (in rule book) but the info page that came with entry confirmation says if you are riding a "motorized vehicle (mini-bike, atv, etc)" you must be a licensed driver. Certainly have seen mini-bikes in the past.  Bicycles are legal..... :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
Well, well -- it looks like I should get the Utah permit -- or just give a second thought to walking.  I admit that last year we barely used the little bike.  There was a young lad that enjoyed asking if he could borrow and ride it, but did we?  Nay, not but once or twice.  And if I had to support the state -- with all due respect I'd rather support my home state only - and not both Utah and Michigan, especially since it's for a sticker/registration that's pretty meaningless in the first place.

Anyone want to buy a little knock-off-type B & S bike?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline powdercoater

• New folks
  • Powder Coater to the Stars and Us Other Mortals
    • Andrews Powder Coating, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
landracing.com readers:
There have been some discussions here about small vehicles and their use at Bonneville.  Below is the official rules and stipulations as set forward by the BLM and SCTA.  In these you will find specific information about this subject. This will also be posted on the SCTA FB and official website.

BLM:
Bonneville Salt Flats
Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA)
Special Recreation Permit Stipulations
The permittee shall provide a copy of the stipulations to each spectator, participant, employee and
volunteer present for the permitted event.
1 No person shall discharge firearms, fireworks or other dangerous weapons.
2 No person shall camp or overnight. Bonneville SRMA is a day-use only area.
3 No person shall operate and/or land a fixed wing aircraft within the SRMA.
4 No person shall possess any glass containers outside of enclosed vehicles, camp trailers
or tents.
5 No person shall ignite a fire or any accelerant including, but not limited to potentially
hazardous materials, gasoline, oil, plastic, or magnesium.
6 No person shall operate a motor vehicle in excess of the posted speed limit within the
SRMA. Where there is no posted speed limit the speed limit is 45.
7 No person shall operate a motor vehicle in excess of 15 M.P.H within 50 feet of people,
animals, or vehicles.
8 No person shall operate or use any noise producing device, or motorized equipment
between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. in a manner that makes unreasonable noise that
disturbs other visitors.
9 No person shall bring an animal (unless it is a working animal) into the area unless the
animal is on a leash not longer than 6 feet and secured to a fixed object or under control
of a person, or is otherwise physically restricted at all times.
10 No person shall:
a.) Purchase, possess or consume any alcoholic beverages while under the age of21.
b.) Under the age of21 misrepresent their age for the purposes of purchasing alcoholic
beverages.
c.) Consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle, as a passenger in or
on a motor vehicle, whether the vehicle is moving, stopped, or parked within the
SRMA.
d.) Keep, carry, possess, transport, or allow another to keep, carry, possess or transport in
the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is within the SRMA,
any container which contains an alcoholic beverage that the seal has been broken, or
the contents of the container has been partially consumed.
11 No person shall, allow another person to, violate the State of Utah's Off Highway
Vehicle (OHV) statutes, to include, but not limited to:
a.) Operating an OHV without a current UT OHV registration, temporary UT OHV
registration or reciprocal state registration for out of state vehicles.
b.) Operate an OHV without wearing a safety helmet while under the age of 18.
c.) Operate an OHV under the age of 16, or without a valid driver's license from the
state that person currently resides, without direct supervision of an adult (of 18 years
of age or older). Direct supervision includes being within 300 feet of the person
operating the OHV and being able to maintain visual and audio contact with the
operator.

SCTA:
SPEEDWEEK 2014 INFORMATION
This information is provided to help make your Speed Week experience fun, successful and safe. All drivers, crew
members, and spectators are encouraged to review this information and ask questions of any race official if you
are in doubt.
NOTE: ALL TIMES ARE UTAH (Mountain) TIME - Change your watches when you arrive in town!
ARM BANDS- All participants (drivers and crew) must wear appropriate participant armbands in order to be
permitted on any part of the racecourse, staging area or return roads. The bands are obtained in the registration I
tech area. All drivers must have a special driver's armband and must submit a current medical information form
to receive the band.
COURSES I TIMING SLIPS - At the time of publication, we cannot be sure how many or where the courses
will be. We hope to have four courses available if Mother Nature cooperates in August. Course layout
information, return roads, starting lines, timing traps and timing slip stand information will be available as a
separate handout at the event. Have yours in hand at the driver's meeting and during the meet to find your way
around. Each course will be assigned a separate CB Channel Number to reach crews in case of emergency. The
Channel number will be posted at each course's starting line.
RECORDS - A "Record" requires that the race vehicle pass over the same relative or physical miles two times,
and the average speed of the two passes exceed the current record. NOTE: At this event, the first segment of a
record attempt will be a regular "Qualifying" run during the day. If the speed achieved exceeds the existing
record, the vehicle is then "Qualified" to make the second segment at 7 am the next morning (Utah time). The
second segment will be run over the same timed milels in the same direction, depending on course conditions. It
will be announced at driver I crew meeting.
GASOLINE- The event gasoline is E.R.C. and it must be used by all participants running in gas classes for all
segments of all record runs. Vehicles shall arrive at the fuel truck empty and all fuel tanks will be checked at
impound and at random points along return roads. Please cooperate with officials. Vehicles arriving in impound
with unsealed tanks will be disqualified.
IMPOUND - The impound area is in the pits adjacent to where the technical inspections are conducted. If any
vehicle has qualified to make the second segment of a record run the next morning by exceeding the existing
record, the vehicle and timing slip MUST be taken directly to the impound area within one hour of the
qualification run. Check in to impound, by presenting your timing slip to the impound officer, who will note your
arrival time and attach the slip to a "Record Certification Card." There is a time limit of up to four hours for
working on your race vehicle while in the impound area. However, the work done must comply with the current
rules. Your time limit begins when you check in. If the race vehicle successfully sets a new record as a result of a
second segment performance (morning run), it must be taken within one hour to the certification area (at the
technical inspection lanes) for engine measurement, body certification and record certification. Give the
certification officer your timing slip to note the arrival time and speeds.
PIT AREA - Only vehicles with an official "Crew" pass on the windshield are allowed in the pit area and on
course access roads. "Go Karts" and other such vehicles are prohibited in the pits. Anyone driving in the pit area
must be a licensed driver. Do not allow your children to ride around in the pits. Vending of any merchandise other
than your own entry T-shirt is by previously approved permit only. You may sign up to sell merchandise in the
"Vendor Area."
EMERGENCIES - If a driver remains on the course, or turns towards the depicted course "Emergency Area," it
will be assumed by race officials that there is a problem. Emergency personnel will render immediate assistance.
If a driver thinks the vehicle has left parts on the course (blown engine, tire failure etc.) he should turn into the
emergency area and immediately notify officials. This is the only way we know to stop vehicles and sweep the
course before another race vehicle is released.
BRIEFINGS- All drivers and crew members must attend an event briefing at 9 am on Saturday, adjacent to the
starting lines between Course 1 and 2. Rookie driver and crew orientation will immediately follow on the
designated course. Rookies and crew MUST bring a vehicle with a CB Radio for Rookie Orientation. Race
vehicles may proceed to staging lanes anytime on Saturday.
NEW DRIVERS - Any driver/rider who has not officially driven a race vehicle on the salt at a sanctioned SCTA
event is considered to be a Rookie Driver. Both the driver or rider and support crew must participate in the formal
orientation program before making their first run. Rookie Orientation is at 11 :30 am daily (except opening day
Saturday) in the Tech area. All push trucks are required to have a fire extinguisher and working CB Radio to
maintain communication with the control tower.
BLM STIPULATIONS - Included in this packet is a one-page summary of BLM Stipulations. Please take the
time to read them and become familiar with what you can and cannot do on the salt or surrounding areas.
SPEED- The speed limit on the return roads is 55 mph, and in congested areas, 25 mph. The speed limit in the
pit area is SLOW- 10 mph. Failure to comply will generate unwelcome attention from race officials towards your
entry.
STAGING - Race vehicles may be left in the staging lanes overnight to retain position in line, unless otherwise
instructed.
FLUIDS-A plastic tarp must be placed under each race vehicle in the pit stall to prevent leakage onto the salt. It
is each entrant's responsibility to see that all fluids other than clear water are placed in a suitable container and
taken from the salt. There are no provisions for dumping fluids. Anyone dumping oil into toilets will be barred
from racing and ejected from the event.
PARKING- Please obey the signs and Do Not Park in the technical inspection area or at the sales trailer. After
you have completed your inspection, take your race vehicle to your pit and return to complete the registration
process.
NOTE: For safety, it is required that a driver or rider be in/upon all race vehicles when the engine is running.
PITS CLOSE - The Pits Close at 8 pm each night. Please cooperate with officials and be gone by 8 pm. Please
be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Your SCTAIBNI Board has spent countless hours working and planning to improve the meet operation so that you
may have a more rewarding, effective and enjoyable SpeedWeek with the maximum amount of runs for all
competitors. Nobody likes waiting in long lines in the hot sun. You can help by: being aware of and following the
course rules, by keeping your support crews up to date on the return roads, by being ready at the starting line, by
clearing the course quickly and effectively, and by keeping your CB turned up and the CB channels clear for
critical communications. Please keep track of your microphone; we always lose valuable time switching between
CB channels to get around someone who has their mike accidentally keyed down.
HAVE A GREAT TIME and please do not hesitate to ask for help.

Scott Andrews
SCTA President/Chief Timer
Remember to Compare Quality Not Just Price.

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
Wow,

23 posts on this often discussed subject before someone finally took a look at the SCTA website and found the info that has been posted for over one year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
DW, I was the one who brought it up to Scott as I felt it should come from an offical. I don't think everyone reads the SCTA web site for issues like this, I am only concerned for everyones safety as you know.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
They should.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »
Please read the message from Scott.Post 24. Those who do not get the Bonneville tube there is a full page of information on the pit and other important news regarding mini bikes, go carts and pit safety as well as other critical information that all spectators and first timers need to know. It's for everyone's safety.Print a copy and take it with you. Pit and course maps will be available at the end of the road.. Go fast and be safe. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah