Author Topic: Dry sump question  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
Dry sump question
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »
First time with a dry sump. A rather expensive lesson trying to make wet sump work. I thought I bought a 4 stage pump but it is only 3 wanted to run 3 to the pan and 1 to the valve cover. What I am wondering is if I could split 1 line probably the one going to the front of the pan and run it to the breather also. help is appreciated.
Thank You, Rocket
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Dry sump question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »
another option might be to plumb the valve cover lines to the pan or to the fuel pump block off--

-no matter what you do--the stage you split is going to feed from the path of least resistance

I would just take a stage upstairs, if you feel like you have to-- but I have no personal knowledge, of going upstairs with a stage---

I run a four stage just like you with 3 on the pan and 1 pressure  I make sure it can drain back as well as I can get it to and just run 16 quarts at B'ville 
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
sounds like I didn't know how to count stages and I do have a 4 stage pump 3 scavenge and 1 supply. plumbing the valve cover to the fuel pump block off plate sounds good to me, any other input welcome.
Thank You, Rocket

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
    I am assuming that you intend to seal off the lifter valley and suction the upper end oil back to the pump.
    I would suggest that you pull a AN 12 from the valley and tie it into a AN 10 from the front area of the oil pan.  If the pan already has a AN 12, use a reducer.
    On the other hand you don't want to pull any more air than you have to into the Dry Sump Tank.  Make sure your tank has a anti-aeration screen in it.
    On my BBC, I mounted the magneto in front and built a 3/4" copper manifold which lays tight to the lifter valley and is "hung" from the bottom of the intake manifold
    and runs from front to back and then turns up thru the now vacant distributor hole terminating to the An 12 line.
    Don't forget to run inline screen filters on each suction line BEFORE the pump and a Big filter on the pressure side of the pump.
                                                                                                        Bob Drury

Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
Bob brings up a good point---what are you trying to accomplish?

HP or removing oil from up stairs?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:46:01 PM »
basically what we are trying to do is control blow by out the valve covers. our lifter valley is not plugged off. we do not want to put more air into the tank. maybe with a dry sump there isnt as much blow by. Would it still be a good idea to plumb the valve covers to the fuel pump block off plate.

Thanks a lot, Rocket

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
 you want to create a vacuum---and you should the whole eng should be sealed so that it can pull a vacuum---if you have a leak you are just going to move the blow by to the dry sump tank---my lips are sealed as to why I know this first hand---it does create NEW problems  :-D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:31:03 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
got it. valve cover breathers sealed and 3 scavenge lines to the pan. TY

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »
I started  to do the same thing (sealing engine). Then thought about what would happen if it holed a piston. I can visualize the pressure blowing out valve cover and pan gaskets and oil on the headers with it. Check valves on the vents should let a vacuum be pulled and still release excess pressure.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
one of the benefits of dry sump---there is very little oil other than in the sump tank---I have not burned a piston yet---but mount a vacuum gauge to the pan lifter galley area---if you start getting blow by you will know it before it blows--- if you have an idiot light on the PAN vacuum or happen to be watching the gauge rather than the track!!  :-P

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
Not meaning to argue with you, Sparky.
Aviad says BB Chev flows about 12 gallons per minute at high RPM. That's about 25 ounces per second that's being thrown around in the engine. To me that is enough oil to make a mess. :-(

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:54:50 PM »
good point!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
A vacuum gauge connected to the engine valley/sump is an essential item to properly develop a dry sump system to "evacuate" blow-by.   Don't be surprised if it takes WAY more pump stages or capacity than you think to create a vacuum.   You will need to reverse your crank seals (think about it . . .) OR run seals with a "dual-lip".    High levels of vacuum create strange sealing problems within engines.    Think carefully about using gaskets Vs. a sealant, ie: RTV.

Serious reduction of the internal "oil mass", MAY create weird wear issues within the engine.    Be sure to do a thorough evaluation of components & wear patterns during teardowns.   This is VERY important and should not be ignored.

BTW, some engines respond very well to this, others just don't seem to respond with any bhp pickup.

Check out a current WINSTON CUP engine, IF you can get close enough for a picture.   Dismiss publicity photos, NOBODY gives away ideas at that level.   CUP engines circa 2002 ran 5 stage pumps, 4 scavenge & 1 pressure.    And all sorts of oil flow reduction.    These engines had 0/1% hot leakdown and pulled at least 5" of crankcase vacuum.   Consider for a moment that in 1992 the same engines had 4/7 cfm of dynamic blow-by at WOT on the dyno in the power range . . . . . . .

Think seriously about blow-by reduction in the first place.    Blow-by is LOST combustion pressure, ie: horsepower.   Do what is necessary to get it sealed up.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
Does it matter where I put the oil tank, how far can the pump pull the supply oil? Thank You

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:27:26 PM »
also any suggestions on line size was going to use 12an supply with 12 an scavenge to the pump and 16 an from pump to tank. Thanks again