Author Topic: Parking at lands end  (Read 11262 times)

LittleLiner

Parking at lands end
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
Never been to Bonneville.  Would like to go to SW.  Can I park at Lands End and 'hitch hike' to the pits?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Parking at lands end
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
Parking at "The Bend In The Road" might be better. Stand alongside the road with your thumb out. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a ride within 5 minutes.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
There's far more room to park at the Bend inthe Road, but if you want to park at Land's End -- check with Lynda to see whee she thinks you ought to park.  I'm quite sure that it'll be okay with her (she's the security head there) but she might want you a ways back from the End itself.  As for getting a ride in -- you will have no problems whatever.  I'm sure of that. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »
Thanks Neil and Slim

Momma Bear doesn't want me to take her pristine Cruze onto the salt.  Now I need a place to crash for a few nights . . . .

Regards,  Art

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
I don't think she will allow it as it is narrow.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:45:08 PM »
Seems to be a lot of cars parked at lands end and extending back toward the bend, doing exactly what you suggest.

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:50:53 AM »
If we see you thumbing for a ride out there we'd pick you up no trouble.  Just a suggestion - if you're also going to be after a ride back off the salt take a bag to drop your shoes in so you don't salt up the inside of the car/RV.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
My experience is folks will just roll down the window and ask if you need a ride.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline beck

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »
Thanks Neil and Slim

Momma Bear doesn't want me to take her pristine Cruze onto the salt.  Now I need a place to crash for a few nights . . . .

Regards,  Art

If you don't mind camping staying at the Bend is an option. Showers are available at the truck stop (there may be a line). The wind can be high at night. Some have been forced to sleep in their vehicles instead of their small tents due to the wind. It does get cool at night, so bring a sleeping bag.
The folks staying next to you may turn out to be your transpostation on the salt.
I agree with the others - getting a ride will be easy. Show some respect and put your shoes in a bag like recomended above. Many will stop you and just tell you to hop in, since their vehicle is already full of salt or they have their floors covered.
You may want to refrain from riding in the back of a truck if that ride is offered. Salt in the eyes is a bad thing. It does blow around.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
Riding in back of pickup and similar is not allowed per rule book but no problem getting a ride.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
The real problem with your plan is that you may not realize the huge scope of the event.  Say you get dropped off at the pit entrance.  The pits are over a mile long -- and hundreds of feet deep.  The starting line for the nearest course is about three miles away.  Maybe about five to course 3 and 4.  Standing for hours can get a little long.

The plus is you can easily get a ride to and fro as suggested.  The easiest way to get a ride back would be at the pit entrance (and exit).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
The T & T pits were not far from Lands End and you could drive to the pits and the car did not get dirty.

In fact just off of Lands End the surface was dirty. Not enough underground water to bring up enough

salt to make it white. Farther onto the salt it was wet enough to build up on your shoes and fenders.

A roll of quarters cleaned my car quite well.

FREUD
Since '63

LittleLiner

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »
Lots of good advice and help.  Many thanks,   
Art

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 09:13:27 PM »
Taking bicycles to the salt is a wonderful idea.  Even if you are out of shape, it is really easy to ride on the flat surface.

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
I wonder how many people that went to Woodstock had to have all the answers before they went.

If you are actually interested in Bonneville you will go and solve the situation when you get there.

Bring your Mother and send her as a scout.

Secure your pacifier around your neck with a diaper.

The internet breeds f'ing wimps.

FREUD
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:14:36 PM by Freud »
Since '63