Author Topic: Questions on Parachute  (Read 14276 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Questions on Parachute
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:31 AM »
A 16 footer is a really big chute for your car Neil & too much chute can really unsettle a car when it hits but I must admit I have no experience with ribbon chutes.
Racing chute manufactures don't wave their information around a whole lot, they want you to tell them your details then they'll sell you their recommendation & most of the time I think that's too big for the salt.
If you plan on anything other than a mechanical release mechanism you might want to read the rule book re manual backup.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
To BD point---it is not something that I didn't talk over with Bob Stroud---but the bottom line is nearly all cars have somewhat of a rooster tail behind them--- some cars need to fly their chute in front of the bounce others behind the bounce, few chutes enjoy being flown in the area of the apex of it---bottom line---the reason I film behind the car---I want to know, how the chute is behaving back there--Bob and I seem to have gotten it right on the new car.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations. I surely will talk to some vendors before I make my decision.
BTW, Sid- a ribbon chute is different from a ring-slot.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »
Yeah I realize that Neil, my point was that I had no experience with open weave chutes & they don't have a tendency to spill & hunt if they are too big like full form & cross form chutes can do but too big will still hit hard & can upset the car's stability. I lean towards a little smaller & longer that what the chute people recommend.
  Sid.

Offline olepaw

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »
I have a stroud land speed chute,and it opens smooth. other racers told me to be ready when the chute opened. they must have had drag chutes. my stroud was just a tug to slow me,what a relief.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:22:17 PM by olepaw »
D/CGC record Ohio mile
G/GC   record Ohio mile
H/GC   record Ohio mile
E/FSS  record Ohio mile C/GC TRYING

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Fifteen years ago I told Bob Stroud what I had and took what he recommended.  We had some minor problems with it in the dead (or cornfused?) air behind the roadster.  Consulted with him -- he sent a new, longer main line and a bigger pilot.  Been working fine since -- no charge!

I think with all the classes (and even very dissimilar cars in the same class), the best guess is just an educated guess.  And one should trust those that have made those guesses for years and not try to adapt something they bought at a swap meet from an old dragster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jfr757

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 10:30:38 PM »
We have a 4400# 3rd gen Camaro running in Production and Altered Classes.  When we were running 225+ with our "D" motor in Production class and with a full canopy 'chute, everything was fine.  When we added some "juice" in the Fuel Altered class, we came through the lights at about 248.  Pulled 'chute, 'chute hit, we got sideways about 45 degrees until the car slowed down enough that the 'chute got out of the dirty air and the car straighted out.  For a brief moment after it straightened out, I thought I had done a heroic rescue. 

Lessons:

1. Amen to mounting 'chute camshaft high
2. There is lots of room to slow down - we now use a cruciform 'chute (not a full canopy) and longer shrouds
3. The faster you go, the further dirty air extends behind you, and you may need longer shrouds to get into clean air 
Bonneville 200 MPH Club
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
DLRA 200 MPH Club
ECTA 200 MPH Club
Loring 200 MPH Club
Texas Mile 200 MPH Club
Colorado Mile 200 MPH Club
Arkansas Mile 200 MPH Club
Mojave Mile 200 MPH Club

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
  I run two ribbon chutes from Bob Stroud and they Hit nice and soft  and once again "camshaft high" mount.  I can't remember How big they are but I use the small packs for each and I am thinking they are around ten feet in diameter. I only use  the second one above 220 because the car now weighs 5200# and it doesn't like to slow down (neither do I)!
  The only bad thing is that I had to figure out How to load My Buddy's ashes which took a little bit of "field engineering" with a ribbon chute...............
                                                                                      One Run, out...........................................
Bob Drury