Author Topic: tires/traction  (Read 2442 times)

filmermikey

tires/traction
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm new to land speed racing. And I'm building a 212cc pushrod motorcycle, was wondering what kind of tires You guys are running. And are there any good frame builders you guys know of around the socal area? Was also wondering how I should choose a club? Just by location or what?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:52:39 PM by filmermikey »

Offline TheBaron

Re: tires/traction
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
Hello Folmermikey and Welcome,

Use quality name brand street tires is the way to go for small bikes. "H" rated tires are good up to 130 mph, are available in  a lot of sizes, and are very cost effective.

I'd wait to buy them till you are close to riding the bike so they will be "fresh". Tire dates are checked as tires are only good for a fixed number of years from their manufactured date.

I looked around for a motorcycle friendly club that held meetings close enough to me so I could attend the meetings... The Gear Grinders have worked out well for me.....

Where are you located??? I'm in Costa Mesa, CA

Robert
MPS-PBG 350

filmermikey

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
I live in glendora, ca. Right near pasadena

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
Tires for bikes must be less than 10 years old.  And you'd be wise to make sure the brand-new tires you buy are new.  I've seen too many times when the new tire - is off the shelf where it's been resting for seven years or so - meaning that while the dealer can say with a clean conscience that it's new - it's got only three years of life on a race bike.  If you buy tires online - do something like specify that the mfr. build date on the tire must be current or a year or less old or you'll return it at no cost to you - or something.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

filmermikey

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:40:10 PM »
Thank you very much