Author Topic: For those that are going solo, is it acceptable to ride  (Read 13701 times)

Offline shiphteey

For those that are going solo, is it acceptable to ride
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:36:23 PM »
back to the pits w/out a tow vehicle?  I couldn't convince anyone to drive 33 hours each way with me  :lol:

Do I just have to beg a spectator or fellow racer to meet me down there w/my vehicle every run??!?!

Thanks

A.
Gemini Motorcycles
229.6 mph at Loring
201.957 mph 2-way average @ Bonneville;
203.85 @ the Maxton Mile
207.2 @ Maxton -- NAKED
200.2 mph @ TX Mile
195.6 mph on GPS @ the 9/10ths
9.4 @ 157 in the 1/4

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Tow Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:10:04 AM »
Ali, here are a couple of ways around your dilemma.  But first -- yup, you can't drive a race vehicle except on the race course.  You've got to be trailered, towed, pushed, or airlifted from pits to start and finish back to pits.

Simplest, but not necessarily easiest:  Get a nice, long rope, have someone drive your car/truck/4-wheeler ATV with the rope attached to the radio antenna or some other secure point, and you, sitting on the bike, hold the other end.  You get towed around that way.  Your hand will get really tired, it's not especially safe, and I wouldn't do it (again -- I've done it) unless there's absolutely no other way.  If you're by yourself -- don't worry, you shouldn't hae much troulbe finding a volunteer from the spectating world to drive your rig.

Or you could try to find someone with a simple trailer that is willing to help you out -- maybe his race vehicle has already broken or got its' record.

Or you could tell me that your car/truck has a 2" receiver with at least 15" ground clearance and I'll bring my spare thingie for solving your problem.  You plug the device into the receiver and roll the front wheel of the bike onto it, then strap the bars to the bumper of the tow vehicle -- and Viola, you're towing your bike.  You'll still need someone to drive the car/truck from the start to come fetch you at the end, of course.

let me know if I should bring the thing for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 01:18:06 PM »
Would be a lot easier to race your M/C at the Bub Meet and RIDE your bike back to the pit/starting line.
Just a thought!!!!

Offline sickracer

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
Quote from: bak189
Would be a lot easier to race your M/C at the Bub Meet and RIDE your bike back to the pit/starting line.
Just a thought!!!!

That's not very safe!!!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
for those
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »
Remember if you qualify for a record you have a time limit to get to impound. It best to have someone to get you back. I would do what Jon W . suggested and borrow the retriever set up he was. There will be no shortage of people willing to help you. :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

bak189

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:51 PM »
SCTA/BNI used to allow us to ride our bikes back.....but the rules changed......It is safe if there is proper control!!!!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
for those
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »
BAK
The rules changed because people do not obey them. Some one riding back at a high speed don't get it.  The rules won't change and will be inforced.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 01:36:50 PM »
Quote from: shiphteey
Haha....I think I'm gonna like it here  :lol:

Definately gonna do BUBs over the others.  From what I understand its

1) cheaper
2) more runs
3) more lax
4) given the 1st week of september slot its cheaper as far as hotels.

I will have to jump online and pre-register soon from the looks of things!  I will be bringing a buddy out on a 1000....so our costs will be split (except for the nitrous  :lol: )

Looking forward to meeting you all there.  Once I pick up a copy of the rulebook I'll post w/whatever my dumbass still doesn't get  :lol:

Thanks again Jon and everyone else!  Jon, every time I see a Maxton pic of me I looking like a friggin retard!  I'm doing some sort of chicken gesture in the pic you posted, in another one I'm loading the 12 w/someone and I'm doing something w/my arm that makes me look retarded (no offense to those that are or have friends/fam that are)....another w/some weird face w/Dave O.  Ah whatever.... :lol:

A.

I thought from this post on the previous thread he is going to BUB.  Jon are you going to Speed Week and BUB???  I didn't think you were.

c ya, Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
For those who...
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 01:47:52 PM »
No, Sum, Nancy and I plan to attend SpeedWeek and World of Speed this year, as well as the two remaining ECTA events, but NOT Bub's.  We need to visit the house once in a while in between -- leave Marquette for the Salt this coming Wednesday and return home on the 21st.  Then, 2 1/2 weeks later, leave again for the Salt and come home on the scenic route that takes us from Wendover to Marquette via Maxton -- another 2 1/2-week trip.  There's not enough time for a visit to Bub's, too.

I'm not speaking for Ali, but I think I remember that he's thinking of both SpeedWeek AND Bub's, and your snippet supports that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »
If your vehicle has air you should have no trouble at all getting someone to drive down and pick you up.   LOL   Really there will be lots of people there that are just waiting to help someone.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline sickracer

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »
Quote from: bak189
SCTA/BNI used to allow us to ride our bikes back.....but the rules changed......It is safe if there is proper control!!!!!!

Too many not doing proper control :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 02:46:18 PM »
Ali if you are going to Speedweek you could pit with us.  We have extra shade and a lot of helpers this year so something could probably be worked out getting you to the line and picking you up.

c ya, Sum

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 05:49:45 AM »
quote]

That's not very safe!!!!![/quote]

The DLRA allows cars and bikes Etc to drive /ride to the start line and return to the pits after their run under the race vehicles own power , we have had ZERO problems to date and I hope that continues as there are a great number of "lone wolves" who attend our meet, I personally would be very agreaved if the DLRA ever went to the system used at Bonneville ,just plain dumb and a great impost on those without a team .
Gary
slower than most

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
for those
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
You don't have 500 entries on two courses, we don't let people ride in the back of pick ups either. All rules are for a purpose. One person can ruin it for a lot of others and it has happened,thats why there are rules.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 10:29:14 AM »
Quote from: hawkwind
quote]

That's not very safe!!!!!

The DLRA allows cars and bikes Etc to drive /ride to the start line and return to the pits after their run under the race vehicles own power , we have had ZERO problems to date and I hope that continues as there are a great number of "lone wolves" who attend our meet, I personally would be very agreaved if the DLRA ever went to the system used at Bonneville ,just plain dumb and a great impost on those without a team .
Gary[/quote]

Gary I agree with Glen.  If you get to b'ville you will see the need for it at least at Speed Week.  There are thousands of people in the pits and near the starting area.  Common sense would tell you which vehicles might be able to go under their own power (one would be they have insurance) but where do you draw the line between vehicles and say yours is safe to drive off the track and yours isn't??

I feel it is a small price to pay to avoid the meet getting shut down by some lawyers and litigation.  Might not be a problem over there, but it is over here.

I'm glad your system is working for you guys and continued good luck with it.

c ya, Sum