Author Topic: Roller Starter for Motorcycles  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Roller Starter for Motorcycles
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
I built my current roller starters about 10 years ago and they have served me well.  I have drawings somewhere, but I got a new computer O.S. and my drawing program won't work anymore.  I'll have to use two posts to show all pics.  The photos shows pretty well how they're made using two 5/8" axles running on pillow blocks in a 4 " channel aluminum frame with 3" aluminum rollers.  The 3" heavy wall aluminum tubing is knurled in the center portion, and required a little machining on the ends to accept standard sprocket hubs.  The original starter is a Chrysler K-Car starter which is easily modified to accept a sprocket hub.  These reduction gear starters have no bushing in the nosing which allows the nosing to be cut off to expose the drive gear.  The gear is mounted on splines which just happen to be 1/2" OD, and retained by a small snap ring which is easily removed once you disassemble the nosing from the main frame.  By removing the spring which retracts the start gear and replacing with a sleeve (.535" ID by .625" OD by about 1-1/8" long) the shaft is forced out thru the nosing.  The splined section is hard as glass, so I cheated and just welded the sprocket on - - I'll grind off the weld if I ever need to remove it. I used 15 teeth on the starter and 20 teeth on the rollers.  You can select different gears on your bike to get the speed right for starting.  I use second gear with the bike geared for about 80 mph in second gear.

The following photos show some of the major parts of the starter motor and modifications made to mount a second starter motor to my original.  This was required to start my new motor which is a 600cc single with 14 to 1 CR.
Tom
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:52:36 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Koncretekid

Re: Roller Starter for Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
More photos: Feel free to ask questions.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:59:05 PM by Koncretekid »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
I've got a roller starter here at work
It has a Chev 350 starter motor on it
Doesn't give much problem and turns over most things
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline jo maoma

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
for you guys that use them what have you found to be the optimal speed to spin up the tire, thinking 500cc displacement...

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »
JoMamma,
I don't really know the answer as I haven't tried to figure it out, but I'm using a 3 to 4 gear down ratio to 3" rollers and my bike starts well in second gear.  In third gear, it won't turn fast enough to start. 
Tom