Author Topic: Test and tune  (Read 36376 times)

Offline sabat

Re: Test and tune
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Thanks for the report Sumner  :cheers:  Dean

Offline desotoman

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »
Sum,

Thanks for the report.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »
Well hopefully the report was half way accurate.  Anyone feel free to correct it.

Also the more I think about the 500 mph goal that is out there for some of these teams I think a car that can average 500 in the 6th mile at Cook's meet needs to be running over 400 by the end of the 4th mile.  Sure they still have 2 miles to run faster but think of it this way.  They are running a mile in 8 seconds or less so they would have less than 16 seconds to add another 100 mph to their speed and have to do it in time to average 500.  That is a big chore. 

If they want to just have an exit speed at SW of 500 they probably need to be running 400 or over by the 3 mile (this event).  Accelerating a car another 100 mph from 400 to 500 in less than 16 seconds is going to take a lot of HP and traction at those speeds considering the HP difference needed to run 500 vs. 400.

This year is going to be interesting but I personally think that it will take another couple before some of these cars reach their full potential.  This meet is an example of the time and work it takes to just start laying down some runs,

Sum

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 12:44:15 AM »
I'm sure Glen, who has timed lots of 400+mph runs, would have a pretty good idea on how fast you'd have to be through the 3 to have a chance at "the big 5" after 5 or 6 (Cook) miles.
Glen?

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
Sum. Thanks for the great info and posts.

I agree on the challenge of 5 is not simple or easy and will take even a few years for these cars to get sorted out as to how to accomplish this goal. It is going to be interesting! 

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
We need to remember what this test and tune means in relation to needed speeds. For the most part teams know what 1/4 mile (2-1/4) speeds mean especially to crews listening comparing it to the 3 mile speeds on whether the driver will qualify in the 5 mile average...This time it's at the end if the 3 and not an average in the third mile. If there are short course cars there the need to remember this...... It's a time to learn something........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Ok, dumb question... Apparently at the test and tune, a new car (lakester/streamliner) has to make 3 passes under 150 to check things out (going off of Sparky's deal) on top of licensing passes? If I make it to this event next year, would I have to do the same thing at Speed Week? I'm curious how this works...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »
Black Salt Racing sure does a good job of representing the door-slammers (roof-slammers in their case).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Just got back from the Test and Tune, and I would say that the meet was a complete success! At one time there were 6 cars in the pits with 400+ capabilities, Marlo Treit,Danny Thompson, Rob Freyvogel, the Nish's, Vescos turbine car, and for the life of me I can't remember the sixth car owners name it is the red car with a big blown late model hemi with a big vertical stabilizer and a wing, the headers run along the side of the car but right now my memory for the name fails me!. The conditions were good to very good, some light rain on the end of the course on Thursday and Friday evening but nothing to cause trouble, the USFRA did a great job of dragging a pretty smooth course and it didn't appear that traction was a problem if you watched your horse power application. Temps were in the low 90s. Of note was that many of the USFRA people where there on their own nickle and the meet was laid back and well ran, never a wait to run. I personally want to thank all of the USFRA people for doing this meet and being great host!

I think the greatest thing about this meet was that three of the contenders for the wheel driven record were making their very first runs ever, Marlo Triet, Danny Thompson and Rob Freyvogel and to be there when they made their first runs on the salt was a real privilege. Rob's first run was almost aborted as he had a problem getting the engine in gear but eventually got it in gear and ran a nice first run of around 180, the car ran very straight and Rob said it was effortless to drive, Danny Thompson's first run was with the engines pretty rich but it ran straight and true with minimal problems, on his second run they leaned on it a bit and it ran 317 which was the top time of the meet when I left Saturday afternoon. Marlo's car, 16 years in the building! made its' very first run and Davenport put his foot in it , sounded great but I understand they had some tranny problems and were working on that when I left. Rob make a 273 run on Saturday morning which sounded effortless but came back with some problems that would probably prevent them from making any additional high speed passes, although they were trying for one more low speed run to check out a couple of other things.

It is interesting, at least from my view point, the difference in design and fabrication of these three cars. As we all know Marlo's car is verging on being a rolling piece of automotive art, Jim Hume's craftsmanship and engineering is truly stunning. This car was built with many aircraft based techniques, especially the body work and to a quality level that far exceeds any airplane. Danny Thompson's car has a history that includes such hot rod greats as Tom Jobe, Pat Foster, Nye Frank, John Butera and of course his father's great vision, all to form a foundation for what Danny himself has done to make this car into, what I think, is one of the real contenders for the wheel driven record. Danny's car is extremely compact, much smaller when you see it on the salt than what you may think when you may have seen construction photos. It is built in the manner of early Indy cars, lots of hand fabricated brackets, perfectly TIG welded together, beautifully formed aluminum body panels Dzus-ed to the chassis. A true tribute to the original builders and to Danny and his team's skills.
Rob's car is the design of complete functionality, designed using Solid Werks computer program for the structure, suspension, and body. The body shape was developed by Eric Ahlstrom (Blue) and he built the mold and the body and it is a complete deviation  from the design shapes of Marlo's or Thompson's cars and certainly may be what is required to go 500. This car was 4 years from concept design to running car which shows you the power of being able to use the Solid Werks design software.

Each of these cars, it appears to me, really benefited from this test and tune. I think that Danny probably was closest to meeting all of his test parameters, he has shown that the solid block A fuel motors can make the three mile but can they make the 5 mile (or 6 mile) then turn around in an hour and do it again? Marlo found out about some possible transmission problem and better now than at the FIA meet. I hung out with Rob and Brandon alot with the Carbinite car and I can tell you this meet was great for them, I am sure that they have a "to do" list that is probably several pages long when they get back to the shop and also probably have developed a new respect for radiant heat transfer. An additional comment regarding the Carbinite effort, their crew is made up of many of the shop guys that helped Rob and Brandon built the car and have limited salt experience, Rick Yacoucci was there to help Rob and Brandon focus on what needs to be done to make a competitive car and Rick has probably gone faster for less money than anybody around!

USFRA thanks again!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
Nice write up Rex. Thanks for the update.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
Nice write up Rex. Thanks for the update.

X2

Tom G.

PS. Has the Nish car ran?
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 04:00:31 PM »
Thanks Rex  :cheers:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
Great reports and the pics look awesome. Can't wait to come over and have a good look/listen to these motors. No word on Speed Demon from T&T? I've been following a few teams on the build diary and Facebook so it's good to hear they all had useful time on the salt read for SW.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Rex, thanks for the detailed report. Been waiting to hear what was going on with those three teams. Sounds like this meet was necessary for all of them and speedweek should be really something to see with them there. The shoot out should be awesome as well,

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »
Rex:

Thanks for the update. Looks like a successful test and tune. It is going to be a great speedweek this year.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM