Author Topic: Test and tune  (Read 36483 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

Test and tune
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
I am interested in news from the test and tune event at Bonneville.  I would like to know who is there, the conditions, the speeds,  and anything that is going on?  I know a couple of teams that are there, but I do not want to call and interrupt their work.  If you have news, pass it along.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Test and tune
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
I would be interested in the same thing. Anybody have anything for us guys that are stuck at work until next month?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
It's raining where I am at Hill afb in Utah. The base is abou 120 miles from the salt. Hopefully they are not getting wet, we had enough of that last year. :cry:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
Looks like they're running to me.... This from Shane T's facebook page 15 minutes ago:

"StradaleRod Ferrari license pass 1 143 on a max of 149 so step 1 is handled. Next we go 175".
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:35 PM »
Danny Thompson (Challenger 2) did 245 on his first checkout pass. Yippee-yay!
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
Course & weather look great...

Picture from Holly Martins facebook page.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
Go Danny! Paint job looks great.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »
Danny Thompson (Challenger 2) did 245 on his first checkout pass. Yippee-yay!

That's a real nice number for a first pass.  Way to go Danny T.

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
425 on a shakedown! :cheers:

Transposition of 245?  sparky
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:21:29 PM by SPARKY »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
What happened to the 150-175-200 licence pass rules?? :?
  Sid.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
T&T isn't a scta sanctioned event. Don't think licensing applies. Plus if you're referring to DT, I'm pretty sure he's AA licensed anyways. Didn't he flip that Mustang going over 250?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline DallasV

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »
I was there yesterday. Have my military weekend so had to bail early. Thompson ran, the carbonex car got to the line but had problems with the starter and aborted. I think Strasburgs in their AA/BFL had top time yesterday at 293. I recorded the project 550 car on my phone making its first pass on the salt, it's an awesome machine. Vesco ran the small liner. And I think the black salt car made a shakedown pass. Turbinator, Nish's Frankinstein and carbonex have yet to run.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 11:23:55 AM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
As a side note,  I did not know that there is another post under the heading "World of Speed".  There is a number of post there and some good information.  My bad for duplicating and not paying attention.  I am old, is my excuse.

I did visit with Sumner a few minuets ago on the phone.  Thompson just made another great pass.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »
Danny Thompson - Challenger 2 - test run #2 - 317.756mph in the 132ft traps at the 3!

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
Don't hold me to this info but it might be close.  I think at the end of Sat. Thompson is still fastest at the 317 with Copeland's Black Salt Racing modified sports next at 314 (they also put down the last run of the day at about 280? and had an early run I believe in the low 200's.  The CB isn't always the best and the times aren't repeated at all so some of this might not be accurate.

Also the AA/BFL has run a 303 I believe with a 290+ first run.  Impressive.

Near the end of the day Flashpoint ran a 303 and was the best sounding car so far down at the 3 that I heard while watch some of the runs at the 2 1/4.  I think I also heard the 550 car fire up late in the afternoon but no run today.  Also Rob's Carbinite has only been able to make two passes, with one a full course at I think 278.  I believe they are having fueling issues and it sounded like that from the 2 1/2 to the 3 when I saw them run.  The car was apart when I left the salt at 7:30 or so.

It has been a fun meet being much smaller than SW and more laid back.  We have made 2 passes with Sparky's new lakester.  Being a new car they wanted 3 passes under 150 and the two have been about 135.  Brakes only on the first.  One chute on the second and in the morning the next pass will be with both chutes. They we will see what the next step is.  So far it has run straight, stopped fine and the chute looks really good on the video I took.

At this point my money might be on the modified sports to possibly beat the streamliners and the AA lakester with the fast time of the meet,

Sum