Author Topic: Port configuration for production class  (Read 8888 times)

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
Port configuration for production class
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
I was having a discussion with a fellow racer about them running in the production class and the rules say "heads were limited to original number of valves per cylinder AND port configuration". How do I read into that? To me, port configuration means "it starts here and ends here" in the original vicinity . That can be interpreted all sorts of different ways! Anyone go head to head with the powers that be over how that is so vaguely written and since it sounds like a judgment call, who's is it exactly? I'm curious...

Offline dw230

Re: Port configuration for production class
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:20 AM »
Easy to figure out - Production classes ONLY.

If it is a SBC, 265 up through 350s you will see two exhaust ports together with a spread to the outside ports. LS or SB.2 types have a spread port head, can't use 'em in a car that did not come OEM with said heads. Anything different, be prepared to defend your position when impound looks at the heads. Worst case - a competitor will point out that your heads do not pass the sniff test.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline krusty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:14:49 AM »

SB2 heads are the same port configuration as earlier GM V8s  (e-i-i-e-e-i-i-e).  That said, I don't believe they came on any production car.

vic

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
So basically it's just a matter of the ports being in the same "location" as what was originally stock (LS, SB2 or spread port 18 degree, etc. AREN'T stock location) then. Reading that whole thing (it's in the truck class) it says nothing about heads needing to be production or factory,  just that they're LIMITED to same number of valves and port location.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:31 AM »
Good luck with that theory

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
I'm just reading the rule book. We know it didn't come factory with aluminum heads, but it doesn't say you CAN'T run aluminum heads.

Offline MRK

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
The book also states that "The engine used shall have been available in the model of vehicle used as purchased from ANY automobile dealer." So if an engine for that model came with production aluminum cylinder heads, you could use those heads. If not, then no.
That's how I read it. Just my take.  :cheers:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
I read it that way too but.... the listing for the heads is totally separate deal. My thing was more for aftermarket than actually aluminum. It says nothing about using or NOT using aftermarket heads. As far as the "engine" is the reference the "whole" thing or just the block. Obviously for a racing application you wouldn't use the crank, rods, pistons, cam, etc. so I'm just asking what constitutes the actual production engine.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

SB2 heads are the same port configuration as earlier GM V8s  (e-i-i-e-e-i-i-e).  That said, I don't believe they came on any production car.

vic

Vic, the SB2 cylinder heads do NOT have the same port configuration as production Chevrolet heads. In fact the pattern is (I-E-I-E-E-I-E-I) but you were correct with the fact they were never on any production cars. Now step away from the keyboard and let the engine guys handle this......  :-P  :-D  See you at Bonneville Vic.   8-)

Kustom, that's why they say don't read MORE into the rules. Aluminum..... why not?  :-)  Now sit down with your buddy and look at different performance engines, Ford, Buick, Dodge, and you see how the rule works or don't. It might need a tune up.....   :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:03:10 PM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline MRK

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
I read it that way too but.... the listing for the heads is totally separate deal. My thing was more for aftermarket than actually aluminum. It says nothing about using or NOT using aftermarket heads. As far as the "engine" is the reference the "whole" thing or just the block. Obviously for a racing application you wouldn't use the crank, rods, pistons, cam, etc. so I'm just asking what constitutes the actual production engine.

As far as the "engine" is concerned, I read that to mean the complete engine not just say the short block. A production engine would be an unmodified factory engine available for that year, make and model of vehicle.  A cam swap is cool for Production category though.

Again just my .02

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
We run aluminum heads in our production pickup.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »
If stock manifolds bolt up, you should be good.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
That's exactly how I read it Midget!

Offline metermatch

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:27:54 AM »
If this helps:  my cars' stock head is 4 valve per cylinder, each cylinder has a single port that has a divider going to each pair of valves.  Ex: Each intake port and each exhaust port for each cylinder splits supplying the 2 valves for intake and 2 valves for exhaust.

My past discussions with tech type people is as long as the stock parts bolt up, and it is a 4 valve head, and has one port splitting to 2 valves (ex: not one port for each valve), it is OK.  Aluminum, cast iron, all are OK.

Jeff

Offline MRK

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »
How about......."Any cylinder head may be used as long as the original number of valves and the port configuartion/orientation remain the same"? Wouldn't that make it less cornfusing?? I think the current paragraph about cylinder heads leads isn't right or wrong or misleading, just too open ended.  :cheers: