Author Topic: Competition Coupe Windshield, required?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline swackerle

Competition Coupe Windshield, required?
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
The book says windows can be removed entirely, but do you have to have a windshield?  Can you run with no windows at all including no windshield?

Thanks,
Sam Wackerle

Offline JR529

Re: Competition Coupe Windshield, required?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:34 PM »
It says minimum vertical windshield height is 5", which is 5" more than no windshield. I read that to mean it has to be there.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
Didn't Jeff Brock initially run the Buick with no windshield or windows?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »
   Yes, Jeff originally ran without a w/shield. I think he changed that when the new notation in sec. 3 E was added.   ---"All driver's compartments shall not be open to the track surface such that the driver is exposed to dangers such as fire and track debris as well as dust". Spirit of the rule thing.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »
I will go with JR529's reply. The rule on the windshield dimensions state windshield, not windshield place.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
The book says windows can be removed entirely, but do you have to have a windshield?  Can you run with no windows at all including no windshield?

Thanks,
Sam Wackerle

Why :?

JL222

Offline swackerle

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
Well, I think I have my answer.  A few more nights with little sleep are ahead for me!  Thanks all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
Sam, you should be able to whip something up pretty quickly with a sheet of Margard Lexan. That's the scratch resistant version of Lexan and makes a great windshield.

Pete

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:38:12 PM »
   Yes, Jeff originally ran without a w/shield. I think he changed that when the new notation in sec. 3 E was added.   ---"All driver's compartments shall not be open to the track surface such that the driver is exposed to dangers such as fire and track debris as well as dust". Spirit of the rule thing.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

That rules doesn't have anything to do with windshields.  The intent was that the lower backside of the drivers compartment not be open to bad things.  We have a firewall in front between the engine and driver after all.  It didn't seem logical to leave the back open when there have been problems with fire and dust outs and such.  The intent was clarified recently when some words were added in to specify that it not be open to the lower exterior of the car.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »
Oh, good!  They're NOT outlawing roadsters.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline swackerle

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
I think the plan of attack is to have the structure in place if I need to run a windshield and take the lexan with me. I actually went and got all the materials last night.  If I need to run with it, I'll have it.  I have a full belly pan, a 3/16ths sheet steel firewall and the front wheels are covered, not too worried about dust getting in from my own car.  I'd just hate to not pass tech for such a thing.  Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
The book says windows can be removed entirely, but do you have to have a windshield?  Can you run with no windows at all including no windshield?

Thanks,
Sam Wackerle

Why :?
                                       JL222  

Exactly, why do you even want to run without a windshield?  The car would be slower.  I remember driving a couple miles without a windshield with my pickup when I was taking it to have one put in.  It was brutal, nothing like riding a motorcycle.  All the air in front of the pickup was being funneled into the car.

Put the windshield in now, you will have plenty of other things to do most likely on the salt before and after inspection,

Sum
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:23:15 AM by Sumner »

Offline JR529

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:56:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Sum, why would you not run one? It wont be faster, that's for sure.

If you are worried about the aero penalty of your windshield then do what everyone else does, read section 4.R of the rule book and build accordingly.  :evil: