Author Topic: Safety of Motorcycles on open trailers at night ?  (Read 5220 times)

Offline TheBaron

Safety of Motorcycles on open trailers at night ?
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
Hello All,

It will be my first trip to the salt this year, and I'm wondering how well bikes sitting on open trailers at the motels fare ?

We had a motorcycle stolen at El Mirage this year (it did make back to the owners after a while) so I'm wondering what can be done to safeguard the equipment?

Robert in Costa Mesa

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Safety of Motorcycles on open trailers at night ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
I've heard a good number of stories of things being stolen or vandalised in the Wendovers overnight.  So I'll ask the next question - why take the bike back to the motel at night?  If you're going to work on it or are leaving early in the morning or such -- I can only suggest some extra security of some kind.  but if you're just taking it back rather than leaving it in the pits overnight -- leave it out on the salt.  The security out there overnight is about as good as you'll find, with access denied by the workers at Land's End and the pits patrolled by security folks driving around.  Since nobody is allowed to stay on the salt past 8PM (or so) at SpeedWeek if not security or official -- your equipment is safe.

Does that give you information that'll help?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
Yes, a big help....I was incorrectly thinking that we and our vehicle have to leave the salt each evening....

Big Thank You,
Robert in California

Offline gande

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Depending on how close the trailer is to your room, buy a driveway alarm from harbor freight. Duct tape the sensor to the bottom of the bike.  If someone walks around the bike no alarm, If some one moves the bike the receiver goes off. The downside is someone can steal parts if they don't jiggle the bike and many places use these as a redneck door bell.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
Robert, just leave your stuff on the salt like SSS said. Also bring a tarp or something to cover it at night. It has been known to rain overnight. Bring some rope to tie the tarp down too, it can get windy too! ;)
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline edinlr

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
I didn't worry about leaving the bike on the salt at night.  It is real far off of the road and I doubt any thieves want to deal with the local police or BLM.  I have a bigger concern traveling, than I do at the salt.  I use a heavy chain to tie my trailer to my hitch on the truck and if I had an open trailer I would use an equally big chain to fasten the bike down at night to the trailer.  I also try to back the trailer into a place where it can't easily be unloaded.   I would also put a very plain cover over the bike at night too.  Don't use a Harley or GSXR cover, get one that doesn't advertise you have a nice bike under there.  Thieves are usually lazy and in a hurry, don't make it easy for them.  I also check the hotel reviews when I travel to make sure it is a safe neighborhood.  Good luck.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:22:35 AM »
Yes, a big help....I was incorrectly thinking that we and our vehicle have to leave the salt each evening....

Big Thank You,
Robert in California

Thanks for asking that!
I hadn't thought about it but this will sure make things a lot easier.

Knowing I can leave my bike on the salt all night leads to the next question - what time are we allowed IN ?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Freud

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »
I think it's about 7 AM.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JR529

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
At Speedweek the pits open at 6am Utah Time (5am Nevada Time) and its just before the sun rises.

The stuff is safe on the salt, It's in town where you are asking for trouble. If you leave anything of any value in the back of a pickup truck outside one of the hotels just consider it gone...  :x