Author Topic: Al Teague at 400+ mph  (Read 12744 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Al Teague at 400+ mph
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
In an article on her web site, LSL states:

George Poteet, owner of the Speed Demon streamliner, commissioned “LandSpeed” Louise Ann Noeth  to chronicle the 2012 racing season of the land speed racing team whose dedicated work allowed Poteet to drive in excess of 400MPH a dozen times during two speed meets on the Bonneville Salt Flats. The timed runs on the surveyed course resulted in the certification of 1 National and 2 World Land Speed Records. This unprecedented achievement surpasses the remarkable speed demonstration by Californian Al Teague driving his Spirit of 76 streamliner in excess of 400MPH eight times in one season.

My question is about Al Teague's performances.  The year in question was presumably 1991.  Is there a published account of what was happening in land speed racing at that time, in particular the very fast runs of Nolan White and Al Teague?  This pre-dates my interest in the subject, and there seems to be limited information on the internet.

Thanks for any historically accurate references anyone can provide.  Maybe I need to wait for LSL's forthcoming book?

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Al Teague at 400+ mph
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
What would you like to know?
I crewed for Al from 87 until he retired & worked on Betsy full time from 88 till 91.
  Sid.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
Any photos of those days you would like to share? Probably a lot of interesting stories too.
John

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
What would you like to know?
I crewed for Al from 87 until he retired & worked on Betsy full time from 88 till 91.
  Sid.

My slightly nerdy/geeky interest is in the numbers - dates and speeds of runs, especially the fast ones. Something like the results spreadsheets published these days by SCTA/USFRA for their meets would do the trick.  Or the Burklands run log on the Ugo Fadini web site (http://www.ugofadini.com/burklandstory.html).  There is information about the records out there but I was surprised to read that there were eight runs at 400+ in one year.

As I understand it, in 1990 Nolan White made the first 400+ run by a wheel-driven car since the Summers Brothers in 1965.  Just one day before Al Teague.  Sounds like there should be quite a story behind this and the subsequent years, so I expected it to have been written up as at least a chapter in a book.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
When it comes to details & photos we didn't do very well, we were just too busy getting the job done.
It is true that Nolan was the first at 403 & Al ran 401 the next day. I think that was SW 90.
Other people remember more about how fast & when it was & had the time to take pics.
At one time we had the AA, A, B & C/BFS records, Nolan had the AA, A & B records at times but only ran on the AA when he went to two engines.
Bring on the info people!!!
  Sid.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
Check with Wendy at Bonneville Racing News.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

velocity

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »
The reference to Al Teague running in excess of 400MPH in one year came directly from Al in a conversation with him. I did not add the year as I opt for feature writing versus technical data copy in most of my columns.

Nolan was  1st in excess of 400MPH, Al heard his time as he working the bottom end of #76 and told me, "Good thing I was already on the ground, because I think my legs would have given way." Their back-and-forth battle was epic.

If you are inclined to have every detail, then I suggest gathering the hi-perf rags of the era and check the latter year issues. Back then there was more reporting coverage, not the feature work that pervades the media today.

AL and I have spoken repeatedly about telling his racing life story. I have many many form many interviews but nothing near what constitute the whole story. . . yet.

LSL

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
Sid definitely has enough stories to fill a few chapters, if you ever write that book, Louise.

Willi

Who Has More Fun?

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »

If you are inclined to have every detail, then I suggest gathering the hi-perf rags of the era and check the latter year issues. Back then there was more reporting coverage, not the feature work that pervades the media today.

AL and I have spoken repeatedly about telling his racing life story. I have many many form many interviews but nothing near what constitute the whole story. . . yet.

LSL

Louise,

Many thanks for responding.  Finding specific back-issues of magazines from 20+ years ago is not straightforward (at least, not from where I sit in England), but if that is the best way of finding the detailed information, I will give it a go.

My impression of your forthcoming "Bonneville: A Century of Speed" book is that it is a serious historical record of events on the salt. As such, will it include detailed tables of results, maybe in appendices?

One other question if I may.  Is The Demon's Dozen available to buy, or is the limited production run now sold out?

Thanks again.

velocity

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
There will be more of a technical slant to new book, but not as much as you might want. Most folks would be bored and I NEVER want to bore my readers. Unsettle them, amuse them, educate them and sometimes piss them right off, but never bore them. My work is thororughly fact-checked - usually with the person/team/group in question but even then memories fade, facts get skewed. Many rags back in the day rushed to print with preliminary data so don't think it is the FACTS. I know first-hand the HOT ROD had plenty of errors and omissions learning the hard way NOT to trust the old stuff without additional verification.

As for THE DEMONS DOZEN, it is digital print demand book with low volume so the individual price is very high. George has given me the rights to print more copies if I wish.
If we could generate 50 orders up front the cost per book would still be about $30.-$40. for a 68-page book. That known, if we could get 100 orders, the price would be more favorable. Shipping, taxes additional.
Perhaps I should start thread to see if there is any real interest.

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »
Start a thread, I would buy one! :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
Sign Nancy and me up for one of the books, Louise.  Seriously, hey?

PS  I got your email earlier today, but since we're on the road it'll take a day or two to get back to you.  Thanks for your ideas.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »
Put me down for two
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:09:33 AM »
Not long ago, Bill Hoddinott did an indepth interview with Al Teague in Bonneville Racing News. That should answer most of your questions.
John