Author Topic: securing a shade canopy  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: securing a shade canopy
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
Maybe Slim will tell us about chasing staked-down potties.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
I've never had the occasion to chase one while in motion, although I've found them way out of place and - sometimes - tipped over.  I won't bother you with those stories.

As for chasing 'em, ask Monte Warnock.  He seems to have the best stories about moving toilets, such as seeing a handicap unit (much bigger cross section), door wide open (bigger still), sitting on the water on the surface during a storm.  The water made the surface really slick, and with the door open -- Monte said he chased it in his truck and the toilet was moving about 7 mph.  As for having one of them go through the traps - well, i take those stories with a grain of salt, because by the time the weather is bad enough to send toilets flying - the timing light equipment is shut down.  Makes for a good story, though.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Tie one side to your trailer. 12" spike at 90* angles on each of the corners. Flag your ropes to help folks from tripping on them. Roll up the cover over night. If you leave you vehicle under the cover frame, tie it to the vehicle over night front and rear.....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 11:53:05 AM »
At the end of Speed Week the dumpsters are full of skeletons of mangled sun shades. If the canopy is up when a wind storm hits, it's gone.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jauguston

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
4"X 1/4" lag screws and a electric impact wrench will hold really well.  Salt is so hard nails are very hard to drive.

Jim

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »
When we put the shade tarps up in tech/sales at Speed Week we pound foot long stakes that have washers welded to them into the ground at an angle.  Then we tie off the shade frames to the stakes using rope.  The rope pulls on the stakes at roughly a right angle which won't pull the stakes out of the ground.  We've rarely ever had to take the tarps down as they're well secured using this method.  Only downside is that people trip over the stakes/ropes all week long.  It's kinda funny until someone get's hurt - then not so much.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member