Author Topic: L S R news releases  (Read 7573 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
L S R news releases
« on: July 02, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
I've long been the recipient of lots of news releases from various teams and vehicles and racers and efforts - and sometimes have posted them when I've had the time.  Just recently a spate of them have shown up in the inbox, so I'm thinking of instituting a section of news releases (and such, sorta) on landracing.com.  Bob and I have hashed over what to do - and we've come up with having a box or space on the home page of the site, so that casual visitors might see it, and also a post on the Forum with a link to the release.  If you've got releases that you think are worth posting here -- well, I'll keep the topic thread locked and you'll be able to send them to me so I can post them, okay?

Just recently I've got one from the Aussie Invader and Team Vesco, for instance, and then there's the ongoing Bloodhound story and now and then some stuff from Gabriel Uttley - and so on.  Some of them are pretty blatantly glorified advertisements that tell the story about the race item - but also mention, in very plain language, the sponsors or brands used and such as that.  It'll be difficult for me to winnow out the ads from the non-ad stories, but will try - or will post 'em all and let you folks decide whether you want to read through them or not.

Any thoughts?  I'm still trying to keep the site kind of free of ads (although right now we sure could use some monetary support), and if I let these stories in it'll appear that I'm encouraging advertisments that don't bring anything to landracing.com. 

If you've got comments I'd be glad to hear them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: L S R news releases
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:33 AM »
Slim- I like your idea of gathering them under a heading like "News Releases". Simply leave it up to us readers to choose how we use them... or not.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
Slim, my guess is you will have to determine which ones are news... and which ones have a profit motive.
Most of us like to keep up with what others are doing and planning, so I am for it. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
So far you have been  most benevolent as the Chief PooBaa  of Landracing.com---we would expect no less than you continue to do it as:

Chief PooBaa your most Benevolent enabling owner of:
 Land Racing .com  :-D

John it is your decision we will like and love it o masterful
 Chief PooBaa!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Unh, Sparky -- are you trying to tell me something with that moniker - Chief PooBah?  It sounds kind of like you're saying I'm the one that's in charge of laxatives or something. :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
Unh, Sparky -- are you trying to tell me something with that moniker - Chief PooBah?  It sounds kind of like you're saying I'm the one that's in charge of laxatives or something. :?

Sparky is just sharing his knowledge and desire for the fine arts. I can totally see him directing, promoting or even starring in Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado" which is where he likely picked this reference up.

Heck, he might have event written this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Poobah  :-D
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
 :-D  came from Fred Flintstone for sure--when my kids were small I loved to watch Fred and Barney with them -- just recalled the term  no slight intended at all----just tried to say in a light hearted way-----it's  your call ---- we don't care -- we trust you  after all you used to be the Chief can pusher!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
Sparky, if by "chief can pusher" you're referring to my toilet duties -- you're on the right track with the PooBah name.  When Mike Waters gave me the job in charge of placing all of the toilets we decided that I would become the POPP.  No, not poop, but the "Potentate Of Porta Potties". 

Potentate, Poobah -- great words, hey? 

Have a safe and happy holiday, you hear? :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
You know, a press release is a press release.  It's certainly not uncommon to mention sponsors.

Jon, I'd keep it simple - if it's germane to your audience, post it whole cloth. 

We're smart enough to recognize the Lingering Odor of Water Buffalo . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »
I've long been the recipient of lots of news releases from various teams and vehicles and racers and efforts - and sometimes have posted them when I've had the time.  Just recently a spate of them have shown up in the inbox, so I'm thinking of instituting a section of news releases (and such, sorta) on landracing.com.  

SSS,

Personally, I don't think it is right for people to expect you and Bob to post their information. I feel if they have something to say, they should post it themselves, no excuses. With that said time is money, and if you want to have a section for people to post "News releases" and they expect you or Bob to post them, charge them for the privilege.

You have stated lately that the site could use some money and I think this would be a way to generate some. Make it a flat rate, for XXX amount of days or months, then delete it.  JMO.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:56:59 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
I've long been the recipient of lots of news releases from various teams and vehicles and racers and efforts - and sometimes have posted them when I've had the time.  Just recently a spate of them have shown up in the inbox, so I'm thinking of instituting a section of news releases (and such, sorta) on landracing.com.  

SSS,

Personally, I don't think it is right for people to expect you and Bob to post their information. I feel if they have something to say, they should post it themselves, no excuses. With that said time is money, and if you want to have a section for people to post "News releases" and they expect you or Bob to post them, charge them for the privilege.

You have stated lately that the site could use some money and I think this would be a way to generate some. Make it a flat rate, for XXX amount of days or months, then delete it.  JMO.

Tom G.

I really like this idea. Good thinking Tom!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
... I feel if they have something to say, they should post it themselves, no excuses. ...Tom G.

:cheers: :cheers: exactly right  :cheers: :cheers:,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
"I feel if they have something to say, they should post it themselves, no excuses."

Okay, Tom and Sum and others -- that's fine, but -- -- how can they post it here on the website?  Lots of the "releases" aren't postable using the Forum's software and the permissions allowed regular users.  I think (note: think) that's what you mean when you say they should post their stuff.

If you're suggesting they should put it on the internet (in general) for all to see -- well, that's what they're doing, sort of, with their releases.  By making them available to websites of general and specific interest (such as lr.com is for land speed racing) to do with as they/I might.  The concept of the news release is pretty well grounded with everyone and his flag-waver sending out information that they hope will find an audience.  Some send out stuff to every blamed place they can imagine -- for instance, the manifold items on Valerie Thompson.  Seldom does a week go by that I don't get one or two of them, apparently funded by money from the various sponsors and others that are providing the $$ for the team (read:  BMW motorcycles and others).  Then there's the other end of the spectrum -- Ed Shadle's ongoing story of triumph and tragedy in getting the N A Eagle up and running and successful.  Guy Caputo's 300++ motorcycle effort is interesting -- but very obviously paying obvious homage to the many brands or manufacturers or vendors of the parts used in the bike.  But Guy's doing the work on his own - where the Thompson (and others, too -- I don't mean to single out Ms. Thompson) are benefiting from major corporate sponsorship.  Should I include releases about the Bloodhound, because even if they are from a well-funded team - they're fascinating to see and learn from? 

Charging for exposure on lr.com might be feasible -- but again, Ed Shadle probably couldn't afford it (no offense, Ed) and Bloodhound wouldn't likely give the time of day to a tiny little audience as this website offers and so would keep their funds for outlets with millions of eyeballs to offer - not a few hundred.  I guess I could try charging -- with a variable rate card, probably known only be me and applied with a sense of what I think is right.  Nope, you wouldn't be allowed to tell me that I should allow Racer XYZ to get on the site for free 'cause it's your wife's second cousin's boyfriend and you think he's a great guy, and you wouldn't be allowed to tell me that I should charge extra for Team CBA because you know they've got Warren Buffett for a sponsor and therefore they should be able to afford it.

I think I am going to start posting news releases such as we've been discussing.  If I can figure a viable way to generate some income for the site from the releases - great.  But whether or not I do get some $$ -- I think the information that's available will be of general enough interest that we all can benefit from some of it.  After all, Jon and I have run this site for a bunch of years, trying to make it the premier location for information about land speed racing.

Q.E.D.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Seems to me you already have a place....

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,41.0.html

It's a press release right, not meant to stay visible to the end of time  :-).  They can post it there or make a section for "Press Releases", but I don't personally think you need another sub-forum.  They can post there and make it as fancy or factual as they want to spend the time on.

If they don't want to take the time to post it there and want you to do it for them in some manner then by all means do it if you so desire, but charge them, say by the word or whatever, but I think if you have roving rates for different people then you are opening a can of worms.

Good luck,

Sumner
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:34:35 AM by Sumner »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
Seems to me you already have a place....

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,41.0.html

It's a press release right, not meant to stay visible to the end of time  :-).  They can post it there or make a section for "Press Releases", but I don't personally think you need another sub-forum.  They can post there and make it as fancy or factual as they want to spend the time on.

If they don't want to take the time to do post it there and want you to do it for them in some manner then by all means do it if you so desire, but charge them, say by the word or whatever, but I think if you have roving rates for different people then you are opening a can of worms.

Good luck,

Sumner

Sumner,

We are on the same wave length.  :cheers:.  I really cannot add much to what you have said. Having press releases done this way actually might encourage people to register to the site if they are not already. Anyone from the shoe string racer through the million dollar team can post a release.

Tom G.

SSS,

If they want to use your time make them pay, but I have to agree again with Sumner on having a set price. It was just an idea, to help generate money for the website and pay for your time. As for being the premier LSR website you already are hands down.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Tom G. 

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.