Author Topic: Flathead Ford Main Girdle  (Read 3332 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Flathead Ford Main Girdle
« on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
I have a nice Flathead Ford girdle for the mains for sale.  This sits on top and ties the mains all the way through the motor like some of the (V4) cylinder guys are doing.  Its a pretty trick unit and machined from a big chunk of aluminum. There is a a lot of time in this beast and what  you see in the pictures is all that I have for it $1000.  I can deliver to Speed Week. Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline saltracer1

Re: Flathead Ford Main Girdle
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:48:14 AM »
I'm intrigued. How many of those long bolts go all the way through the block? And what is that offset looking bushing for on a couple of the long bolts?Phil

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:21 PM »
Wonder if the spcers are to be used between the bottom of the plate and the inside of the block. Seems to me you would need some type of crush proof spacer to give any type of support.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »
This girdle came with a bunch of Flathead stuff and I don't know much about it other than it was built to be used on a salt flats car.  The long spacers do go in the block for the crush and take up the space between the bottom mains and the top. Its very similar in deign to some of the vintage four cylinder blocks I have seen on the salt. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:34:03 PM »
Want to sponsor an XF motor for the lakester!?!?!?! :-D :cheers:

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »
Reminds me of some of the ideas/crap that I've thrown at the FlatCad engine :-D   We're always trying to find ways to keep the lower ends together now aren't we.   This approach just might work - though I'd probably make the plate out of steel and I'd angle the port holes to follow the block angle.   This would make the creation of a custom intake a bit harder, but what the heck . . . seems we all like 'hard' or we wouldn't be doing this in the first place.
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!