Author Topic: elmo sunday the 22nd  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Eddieschopshop

Re: elmo sunday the 22nd
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
I would like to hear an official response to the incident.  I'm sure it will be discussed at the next drivers meeting but some may not be there.  Was making the turn the "right" thing to do?  I would assume that the large wedge at the end of the track is there as a buffer.  Yes there will be hell to pay if you go into this area,  but isn't this type of incident exactly why it is there?  You can't stop in the normal area due to whatever reason so there is extra area that is coned off to keep people out in case a race vehicle needs it? 

I understand that we try not to focus on "incidents" or give bad press however all I have seen is vague references so most don't understand what happened or how it could have or should have been handled differently.  I make the turn like most and end up facing the start,  should we remain going straight and just angle over to the return road?

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »
AFAIK the investigation is still on going which is why there hasn't been anything officially released.  I personally think it's more an issue of potentially not being able to see vs running out of track and pitching the car to the side to keep from going out of bounds.  The car only went 168 I think which isn't incredibly fast so it wasn't like he was running out of shut down area.  AFAIK the 'chute didn't fully deploy although it was pulled by the driver (again, only AFAIK, could be wrong).  The rules are absolutely not forcing anyone to force their car into a position where they no longer have control and are putting people in danger.  Those that do that are doing so completely by their choice.  The smarter and possibly safer thing to do is to go out the back and hopefully get stopped within the buffer zone. 

As far as the turn out goes, nothing says that you have to make a 180 deg turn.  All they care is that you clear the course in a fairly efficient manner.

I will say that after not driving at El Mirage for some years and now driving a car that has those ISP-style lateral head pads in the cage, it's a helluva lot harder to see over to the return road as I'm coming off the course.  I had to squish myself down to see under the pads to make sure I wasn't going to run into anyone as I turned out.     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
If you can "sguish" yourself down, someone didn't pull your harnesses tight  :evil: :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
The squish I have is what little bit of movement I have in my neck. My belts are always very tight.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member