Author Topic: Aerodynamics  (Read 13913 times)

Offline 631

• New folks
Aerodynamics
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »
There is a nice simple to understand article on calculating CP and CG for lsr vehicles in the tech and FAQ section of this website.  It was written by Bill Dube' and Eva Hakansson who campaign the electric side car streamlined motorcycle and are engineers as well.  If an airplane exceeds its design limits in yaw, pitch or bank (roll) it may stop flying.  If a lsr vehicle exceeds its design or safety limits in yaw, pitch or roll it may start flying.  The 'numbers' as Jeff states are useful tools in helping us understand where those limits may be for our hot rods that we strap on every summer.  Running in a stiff cross wind if the steering wheel has to be turned down wind to stay on the track then the CP is probably behind the CG and the back of the car is being pushed down wind.  If the steering wheel has to be turned up wind to stay on track- don't go any faster.
Thanks for participating in an important discussion.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Have you met "THE SLOT"  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »
Second run ever.  Didn't get me, but it was close.

Still don't know if it's real or fictional -- I'm betting on real.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
oh it for real all right 

when I run that track with a West wind I have been known to aim West of the upwind mile marker-- never have been in danger of hitting the upwind one---I try to aim upwind enough that I make no steering correction as I get moved across the track in "THE SLOT" 

Ps I have had to make steering corrections to not hit the downwind mile marker.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »
Is the slot a west wind across the middle of the track when there is a lot less breeze at both ends?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
WW 
spot on--the cross wind comes through the little "notch, pass or valley" to the West of the track closest to the pit area .  Usually it "flows or blows" between the 3 and the 4

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
Will it be blowing next year???? :evil:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
No, this being an even-numbered year -- the wind will be sucking from the east side.  It blows from the west during odd-numbered years. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
LOL   :cheers:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »
except for LEAP-years :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre