Author Topic: intercooler water waste  (Read 3790 times)

Offline GH

intercooler water waste
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
I have never ran an intercooler before, can the water out of the intercooler be drained on the salt or does it need to be carried off the salt like oil and grease?

Offline Bob Jr.

Re: intercooler water waste
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:00:03 PM »
Quote from: GH
I have never ran an intercooler before, can the water out of the intercooler be drained on the salt or does it need to be carried off the salt like oil and grease?

As long as it is just water it can be drained onto the salt.  Just like emptying a ice chest 8)   8)  8)  8)
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline GH

intercooler water waste
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 12:12:19 PM »
Thanks Bob, just trying to figure out all the little details that can jump up and bite you just when you least expect it, like in impound.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Intercooler water
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
Gary -- Make sure you don't have anything in the water like Water Wetter or (worse still) antifreeze or (even worser) something yellow that might look suspciously like Joe Amo's super oil additive.  Yellow stains on the salt are sorta incriminating.

Plain water/de-mineralized water/deionized water/distilled water, in that order, are better for the innards of the intercooler.  Distilled is 64 cents/gallon at Wal-Mart -- cheap insurance against corrosion.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »
when you dump it or any other clean water on the salt---please spread it around--do not drain in such a way that it makes holes
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »
Nearly every year someone comes up to my pit at Speedweek needing a container for drain oil after they scatter some parts.  You can buy a collapsable 5 gallon water jug at most sporting goods or camping gear shops.  They take up very little space and can be used for a multitude of purposes when needed.
Bob Drury

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »
I like to take 3or 4 new five gallon bukets with the lids not snapped on.  Easy to pour into, leak proof with the lid snapped on, lite weight, and can be used for other uses. I put one in the back of the tow truck  for a garbage can. Works well for me.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger