Author Topic: Renting a car to take to Speed Week (any advice?)  (Read 22744 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Renting a car to take to Speed Week (any advice?)
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Utah rental car tax is still paying for the Winter Olympics.

Buy a taxi ride to an off airport location and the tax drops.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
My best at Oakland a few years ago was $11.37/day.  New Mazda.  Had to pay $45/night at the SF Marriot for parking.  Considered leaving it on the street to be towed away -- and ordering another one for the next day.  Came to my senses.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
.... Had to pay $45/night at the SF Marriot for parking. ..

We were going to stay at a Marriot over Christmas a year ago in Florida with family (where they wanted to stay because they had 'points) and the room was like $180 a night and then we were going to have to pay also the parking fee.  What a rip-off.  We can stay at Motel 6 or La Quinta or any other number of motels and not pay a dime for parking.  I was not un-happy when the stay was canceled  :-D,

Sum

Offline Freud

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
Fry FREUD.................

He was declared 4 F  and is waiting in line to get food stamps and

pregnancy protection for his new Lamb.

DSHS liked the name of a LSR project that is registered for

supplemental monetary support because it is for girls and

their Mothers that are not interested in going to school.

The funding is under the name GED. Greasy Engine Darlings.

Twins, Air Cooled and Kick Starters. SCTA has been notified

of the need for a new class.

Now quit pickin' on FREUD

Supreme Commander   US Army
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:11:03 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
Just reserved my rental today. I'll be showing up on Sunday (that's when my room starts) and have the car for a week. Hertz,I know this is crazy, is the cheapest and less than 1/2 mile from my home in a shopping center. $141 for the week Ford Focus type compact.  Enterprise says NO to Utah. Last year I hada Kia, satellite radio etc. Looking forward to helping #422 AA/BGMR Charlie Reno and Scott Brown.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Lakepipe

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
We've rented a "Standard SUV or similar" at Alamo in SF when we fly in from the UK and will be turning up in Wendover on Sunday night for a Monday visit to the salt. We move on to Price for the night and I've got a guy organised who is going to clean the car on Tuesday [while I go through a million pictures from the day before!]. We'll only have the Monday at Speedweek but we've a lot of ground to cover this time. We'll be back for a longer visit in a year or so...
Growing old is compulsory, growing up isn't...

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:38 AM »
We've rented a "Standard SUV or similar" at Alamo in SF when we fly in from the UK and will be turning up in Wendover on Sunday night for a Monday visit to the salt. We move on to Price for the night and I've got a guy organised who is going to clean the car on Tuesday [while I go through a million pictures from the day before!]. We'll only have the Monday at Speedweek but we've a lot of ground to cover this time. We'll be back for a longer visit in a year or so...

All that way and only staying one day? You will have a good time!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
.... We move on to Price for the night ...

What is in Price?  Bo Huff?

Sum

Offline Lakepipe

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

Sum

Being from the UK, that one is lost on me?  :-)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »

Sum

You said you were going to spend the night in Price, UT.  Not much there, but just east of there in Sunny Side and East Carbon you can find Bo Huff...

http://www.shopbohuffcustoms.com/

....who has been doing customs his whole life even when they went out in the 70's. 

I've got pictures of some of his cars and ....

... a car show there  sometime back on my site here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/carshows/cs-ss-2001-1.html

Have fun wherever you go  :cheers:,

Sum

Offline Lakepipe

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 04:21:17 AM »

Sum

Thanks for the tip, that's on our way so we'll let 'em know and maybe pop in!

T
You said you were going to spend the night in Price, UT.  Not much there, but just east of there in Sunny Side and East Carbon you can find Bo Huff...

http://www.shopbohuffcustoms.com/

....who has been doing customs his whole life even when they went out in the 70's. 

I've got pictures of some of his cars and ....

... a car show there  sometime back on my site here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/carshows/cs-ss-2001-1.html

Have fun wherever you go  :cheers:,

Sum

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
Sum took us to Bo's place a few years ago. A lot of nice cars and Stuff there Bo seems like a good guy.  :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline beck

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Rent at a down town rental station. It's cheaper and they arent paranoid.

Go to the East end of the terminal and ride the light rail into town.

The taxes at the airport are about 25%. They are still paying for the Winter Olympics.

When you make the reservation don't list a flight number. Many people rent that never go near the airport.

Just play that game.

Last year my car was a new Cadillac with 11 miles on it. I showed respect and took it back looking like new.

Enterprise will NOT pick you up at the airport nor drop you off there. Use light rail or a taxi.

Then I wrote a complimentary letter to the rental location. It will benefit me this year.

Just be sensible.

FREUD

I have been looking at Enterprise rates. For a 1 week rental they are $147 cheaper if you rent downtown. That is quite a savings for me.

I don't think I have enough time to make my return flight (9:45 am), because they don't open until 7:30 am. My solution is to rent the car downtown and return it at the airport. That raises the rental fee but it is still $124 cheaper than renting it at the airport.

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the pricing difference.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:59:22 AM by beck »

Offline Freud

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 04:59:18 PM »
Think about this.........

Just leave the car at the rental site. Drop the keys thru the slot and ride the train to the airport.

Taxi fee is about $15. The train cost me $1.25 and dropped me off  at the airport entrance.

The rental  places allow drop off w/o them being open.

I went to the one at 404 South,  300 West in SLC. Just call them about unattended drop off.  801-534-1888

If you still have questions just call me  425-422-6944.  I plan to post some more suggestions for car cleanup in SLC.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline beck

• New folks
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »
I already made my reservations, but I'm sure I could change them when I arrive. Thanks.

I always do the car clean up in Wendover. Last year the family of one of the first motels had a cleanup area set up in their parking lot. I had to wait for an RV in front of me, but they did a nice job. They did the inside and out. There wasn't a set fee. I think I gave them a $20. In the past I had used the car wash and done it myself. An issues I have at the car wash is all the salt in it. After you clean the car you have to drive through the salt that has fallen from yours and previous cars. That leads to a minor cleanup at the motel. Your ideas would be apreciated.

One year I had an issue with a film left in the wheel wells after spraying the salt out. It was some residue that didn't hose off. It was easliy hidden by a light spray of penetrating oil and wiping off with a motel towel. Now I always pack a small can of penetrating oil. If you use duct tape to install the interior plastic the penetrating oil disolves the residual glue. I am going to try packing tape this year as recomended by someone else. I don't use garbage bags on the floor. I bring along some heavy plastic. The garbage bags are too easy to rip getting in and out.

Another non rental car thing I do is using a cooler for luggage. Using the airlines guidelines measure your cooler to make sure it isn't oversize. Some coolers have wheels and a handle just like luggage. Once loaded the cooler gets a wrap or two of duct tape to keep it closed. I have a laundry bag I put everything into inside the cooler. When I arrive my first tops is for drinks and ice. Pull the inner bag out of the cooler and load it up. Half way to Wendover I have cold drinks. Do a SLC city search on Google for your favorite discount chain, then a Mapquest for directions from the rental location. There is a Wally-World 1.6 miles south of 404 South 300 West with easy access to hwy 80.