Author Topic: Renting a car to take to Speed Week (any advice?)  (Read 22770 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Renting a car to take to Speed Week (any advice?)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
I sometimes wonder what it is about salt racers and rental cars.  The good Dr.'s usage of the cars has often been questionable in terms of good long-range care of the well-being of the car, and there's another very well known racer (whom, for the sake of his reputation, I won't name) that feels the appropriate way to bring a rental car to a stop (at least while on the salt) is to slow down and, when going at say, 10 mph or less, put the gear lever into the "P" position and let the parking pawl sing, clatter, vibrate, and buzz 'til the car stops.  When I'm at the long end after a run and hear that noise I know without looking that Scott- whoops, can't use him name -- is there to offer corngratulations or advice.

Any others?  I'm holding back on their full names in case the rental companies look for them on this Forum. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
Mike --

I think you're right.  They've captured him.  Probably will pay a large ransom to give him back.

Although, when he visits Berdoo, he always takes his shoes off before entering.  Maybe wants to not get Birdoo on his high-priced tennies.  Don't know.  Not much he does surprises me lately.

This from the guy who's coached me on how to drive max speed out of a rental in reverse.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:52:05 AM »
You people really do things the HARD WAY.

Ask Freud for clarification.
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
I agree about HARD WAY.

This is not rocket science.

Rent the car, clean it before u return it and take what comes.

No reason to wash it every day. If it's your own car for certain DON'T WASH IT DAILY.

It just allows salt water to have 7 chances to seep into every crack and crevice.

The build up keeps extra water from getting inside.

If it's a renter...open the doors, use the wand and wash the floors, the

seats and then the underside.  Vacuum the inside and by morning it will be pristine and dry.

Bro Kepner learned me that method. That's the way they did with the Space Shuttles.

Take full coverage in  case you drown out the electronics under the dash.

That way they will bring you another car so you can get back to SLC and it will be clean.

I am an authority on everything that your Mother told you not to do and many things

she never even considered.

I you eat your breakfast cereal at an odd time and want to to be considered a meal use

teriyaki sauce on it and you can call it dinner.

FREUD

« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:16:46 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
"I you eat your breakfast cereal at an odd time and want to be considered a meal use teriyaki sauce on it and you can call it dinner.

FREUD"

What a great idea! Now why didn't I think of that!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:11:08 PM »
I rent one out of OC when I drive  up and not running. Don't use duct tape. Use clear packaging tape, leaves no white tape marks. Put a piece over the throttle pedal, brake pedal and emergency pedal before you go on the salt.i also tape the weather stripping seams at the lower doors. Never had a problem.....don't rent near an airport it's cheaper. Got a Kia last year with satilite radio too. Remember a CB"...........
             GAFFERS TAPE  from a music store works really well     not much cleanup and very strong

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »
If you rent in California read your rental agreement VERY carefully as most car rental places only cover rental for State of rental and an adjoining state..rates go up otherwise.

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »
I have rented in CA before. I told them I was doing work related travel and would be going to Las Vegas, Tahoe maybe Arizona. No issues.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
I have rented in CA before. I told them I was doing work related travel and would be going to Las Vegas, Tahoe maybe Arizona. No issues.

DW

Yep, we get cars through here, SE Utah, all the time with Nevada plates where people fly into Vegas, rent a car, and then loop around here through Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming,

Sum

Offline tallguy

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Maguromic, thank you for the information posted 6/20/14.

I was very surprised by your report of a rented vehicle for
$12/day.  It's been quite a few years since I rented a car,
and today I tried to find a price (online) anywhere near $12/day,
for rental from Budget and/or other companies.  Didn't have
much luck. 

Could you please advise regarding how you got such a nice
low price?  Thanks. 

Tallguy (near Oakland, CA)

Offline Freud

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:32 AM »
Get your friend at the body shop to get it for you.

They have a way with rental agencies that we can't duplicate.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline widgeon

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
I have done this many times and there has never been a problem. When renting, the counter person might ask you where you might be going.  "DO NOT" tell them the Salt Flats.  You are traveling on business to different areas for the week.  I would line the carpet area with plastic (Home Depot) as the salt is very hard to remove from carpet.  Returning the car to the SLC airport, in a town called Toole there is a Blue Beacon truck stop (24 HRS) on your right hand side going in.  Probably will cost you about $30. to remove the salt but the key is give the guy doing the work another $30. or so (Don't be cheap) tip and tell him to make sure he gets all salt off.  Return car to rental agency.  If they find salt on the car I have been told by one person Hertz charged him $650. detail charge.  Good luck.

Offline john robson

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
Check the rental agreement. You are probably violating it when off-road at the salt. That may well open the door to personal liability and void your insurance. That said, I have not only done it but used the car as our tow vehicle. Follow the advice in the posted responses an run a sprinkler under the car for hours moving it regularly. It will take a little effort, but will be  ok if you are thorough. Someone is going to buy that car and it will be that person who will probably bear the loss. I have seen rental cars severely abused. Be respectful and have fun!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
Tallguy,  I start on rentalcars.com, then compare the prices on Price Line with the pop window and look for the inefficiency in the system. When I checked this morning the best deal I found was $22 for a full size car at the San Jose airport.  Just keep hitting it every day and find the sweet spot and besides it doesn't cost anything to reserve a car on rentalcars.com.  I think at the Oakland airport you should be able to find some great deals, but its pointless at SFO, there always out of cars.

Some tips:
weekend rates start after 12PM on Thursday
5 day rental is usually the same rate as a 7 day rental
when you buy the cheap gas option at the car return you still get hosed because they add a hefty airport tax on top of gas charge unlike the gas outside with the built in tax on the pumps.

This is my rental reservation to show you its not hog wash. The airport tax was $2 less than my rental  :-o  Tony
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:32:01 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline tallguy

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
Thanks a million.  I'll give it a try.

Tallguy