Author Topic: Bonneville Spectator Advice  (Read 31197 times)

Offline Turbo Dog

• New folks
Re: Bonneville Spectator Advice
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
Thanks for the input...I like the reasoning for just buying the cheap ones, and I'll get a tarp to fit the bottom and skip the sides.

:cheers:

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
If you are the type that gets hooked on things, stay the hell away from the SALT. I went there in 1997 just to watch and help a friend that was racing. As soon as I saw the place, I said,"I gotta do this." The rest is history.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 08:24:59 PM »
If you are the type that gets hooked on things, stay the hell away from the SALT. I went there in 1997 just to watch and help a friend that was racing. As soon as I saw the place, I said,"I gotta do this." The rest is history.

Good Advice.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
Some people have some sort of new-fangled cordless electric drills that screw lag bolts into the salt.  Looks too easy for me.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
Kinda like a fiberglass roadster body huh Stan?   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »

I haven't even seen the place yet and I'm sick with salt fever. :-D :cheers:

Offline will6er

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »
Smith's is part of  Kroger's. Those points work at any of their stores.
Will Willis

Offline Turbo Dog

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »

I'm already trying to figure out how I'm gonna put my 500Hp Ford 460 into my cousins '73 Karmann Gia, or lower and build some ground effects for the '67 F100 it's in.  I've ordered a rule book, but I'm just gonna watch the first time.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:39 AM »
That's my man. Any guy that loves dogs and Fords just has to be way cool. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 11:43:10 AM »
I thought they handed out site maps at the entrance gate.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Turbo Dog

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
That's my man. Any guy that loves dogs and Fords just has to be way cool. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :-D

Thanks...I don't know if I'm cool...just easy going with a need for speed.

Is it a good idea to bring along a couple of cruiser bikes for me and my woman?  I'm thinking they may be nice since I'm expecting everything to be spread out.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
Hi Speed Freak Fellows...

Don't know about you all, but when I stepped in the shop at the Wendover West gas station looking for shades, being from the Alps in France, I headed straight to try the orange or yellow ones.

Basically, for my eyes, black shades don't work on the snow, it's just too dark... I figured out must be the same on the salt and bought a pair of orange flip adds ons to slip over my prescription glasses for less than $10.00, best buy so far...

Yellow tint are the best for keeping a 20/20 perfect perspective, orange not far behind... Same if you drive at night and are prone to headheakes due to lights of incoming traffic... Yellow's the word...

See you soon, the time is near!!!

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
My preference is for neutral density shades-- essentially colorless.

On a long road trip from WV to WY a long time ago, I ran out of gas in Denver. I knew I was close to empty but I was waiting for the red warning light in the gauge to come on before refilling the tank. I drifted to a stop on the shoulder of the road, took off my green shades and there was that red warning light staring me in the face. No more tinted shades for me.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline nickleone

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
One year we had a blue tarp from Harbor Freight stretched over the metal framework of my pickup.
The two of us found it effected our eye sight.  The previous outing we had a green tarp over the frame work and no problems with the eyes.
Nick

Offline bubruins

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
The shades that the squint place on the salt sells have an orange/red tint to them. They claim they block out the harsh blue uv light. It kind of messes with your eyes for a minute when you take them off later, but they work great for the whole day on the salt.