Author Topic: Grizzly metalworking tools  (Read 7945 times)

Jessechop

Grizzly metalworking tools
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
Looking at buying some metalworking tools. Looking at a 3 in 1 (slip roll, shear, brake), rotary shear, bead roller, etc. Have been looking at Grizzlys stuff. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Grizzly metalworking tools
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
Looking at buying some metalworking tools. Looking at a 3 in 1 (slip roll, shear, brake), rotary shear, bead roller, etc. Have been looking at Grizzlys stuff. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?

I've bought some items from them but when I was looking for a mill/drill, a large mill and a lathe I went to their showroom in MO and all the items were the same Chinese items being sold by Harbor Freight and Enco and others.

I bought the mill/drill from Enco since I like them and they had a Christmas Special price plus free shipping at the time so the price was the same as HF.  I bought the large mill and lathe from HF since the shipping and price were way better than anyone else at the time.  Check them all out but if HP has the same item I'll bet it is cheaper there than Grizzly.  I've been very happy with all of it.

I looked at those combo units like you are looking at but didn't buy so have no experience there.  You might post which one you are looking at as their are different ones and maybe someone has the one you are interested in.

I made a press brake...

...for not too much and it works for most things for me.  More on it here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/teardrop/sheetmetalbrake.html

There has been times I would of liked to have had a slip roll but I've been able to bend body panels...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar-3/construction%20page-125.html

..other ways.  I still might make one at some point but like the brake I'd want one that is at least 3 foot and hopefully 4 foot.  The same with the shear.  I've used them at others shops and loved them but a 4 foot one would take up too much room in my shop.  After buying a plasma cutter some of the need went away but still they are very nice,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »
Check out the capacities for the machine. I had one for a while but it tends to be on the light side for most items. I liked it for rolling cones. Individual machines would be a much better solution if you have the finances and the room.

The other thing I found was that all the bolts had to be replaced and the holes retapped deep enough. That improved the machine a whole bunch!

Pete
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:45:14 AM by Peter Jack »

Jessechop

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Check out the capacities for the machine. I had one for a while but it tends to be on the light side for most items. I liked it for rolling cones. Individual machines would be a much better solution if you have the finances and the room.

The other thing I found was that all the bolts had to be replaced and the holes retapped deep enough. That improved the machine a whole bunch!

Pete

Thanks for the feedback. I am buying the machine (the 3 in 1 any ways) with intend of working on .040 aluminum. The shear will be used very, very little if any. The slip roll and press rake will be used more. I am limited on space, thus why I wanted the 3 in 1.

Jessechop

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
My other option being the Woodward Fab 3 in 1, which seems to be a better built piece from what I have gathered

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 01:18:04 PM »
Jesse,

If you haven't found them already, check out the forums on the www.garagejournal.com.  A lot of feedback there on all types of tools and equipment as used by many for many different applications in many different settings.  Should give you a good idea of what's total junk, what's OK for "normal" limited use, and what's needed for heavier duty and closer to production work.

Ed

Jessechop

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »
Jesse,

If you haven't found them already, check out the forums on the www.garagejournal.com.  A lot of feedback there on all types of tools and equipment as used by many for many different applications in many different settings.  Should give you a good idea of what's total junk, what's OK for "normal" limited use, and what's needed for heavier duty and closer to production work.

Ed

Ed, thanks! I will check that out. Looks like lots of good info there.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:24:55 AM »
Sum, the press brake is cool.

I'm going to build one just like it soon.

Thanks. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
 If you treat the metal working machinery made off shore ( China) as a kit not a ready to use machine they will be useable.

First thing to do is take it completely apart. Clean and inspect it. Drill and tap all the fastener holes to American size and use good quality fasteners. Deburr, brace, finish as is needed for the work you are going to use it for.

I have some low cost machines and some high dollar ones. If I'm just going to need it once every few months I have no need to spend the extra money.
Just the best way for me to things, might work for other people also.

Cheap-ass Doug in Big Ditch 
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
lobuck tools is another to look at.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:25 PM »
Don't buy the Grizzly 6' combo slip roll press brake. It flexes to much and will not shear 18 gauge.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
I would try to find a good used industrial brake. With practice and patience you can also do clean radius bends. 
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean