Author Topic: WARNING to ATV and off-road vehicles riders at Speedweek  (Read 18731 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: WARNING to ATV and off-road vehicles riders at Speedweek
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
....Correct me if I'm wrong but the Flats are not a state park. They are Federal so State regs do not apply. Provided you keep your machine on the Flats....

I believe that over 50% of the land in Utah is Federal in as far as it is either BLM or National Forest land.  Still you need to comply with Utah regs while on that land and since the 'flats' are BLM then you need to conform to Utah regs,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Larry, part of the salt flats (lower case) are a Utah state park, part are BLM.  I'm not positive how much is which, but while most of the salt area itself is BLM, I think that lots of the land around the Bend in the Road and up the mountains is State park area.  If someone out there in internetland has the details I'd be happy to hear them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
Larry, part of the salt flats (lower case) are a Utah state park, part are BLM.  I'm not positive how much is which, but while most of the salt area itself is BLM, I think that lots of the land around the Bend in the Road and up the mountains is State park area.  If someone out there in internetland has the details I'd be happy to hear them.

Jon I'm not aware of Utah having a state park at or near the salt flats and couldn't find one here...

http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks

But the Utah off road rules pertain to BLM and Forest Service lands along with any state lands not just State Parks.  The State Parks near us here in Blanding are very small,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
Sum, you may well be right.  I'm just going on what I've been told in the past.  I'll look around to see if I can figure out why I think there's a state park there.  I do know there's one thing that might lend credence to my state park idea:  when driving down the road to or from Land's End - my GPS device shows a distinct difference (goes from one color to another) in the land itself part way from Land's End to the Bend.  I've assumed that that "border" was the state/federal boundary.  I know, I know -- specious at best, but it's the first thing i could think of saying. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »
If someone out there in internetland has the details I'd be happy to hear them.

Here's your answer Jon, most of the salt flats is BLM land but scattered about are square mile segments of state land and occasional private and military land.
Just south of the lands end road about a mile past the bend is a block of state land, as is some of the hill side up above the flats.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ut/salt_lake_fo/bonneville_salt_flats/pdfs.Par.16381.File.dat/BSF%20Area%20Map.pdf

These are most probably what are sometimes called "school sections". When the west was surveyed they broke it up into townships and ranges these formed blocks of 36 square miles (6 miles on a side) out of those 36 sections frequently one section was granted to the states for their use, often directing any tax or mineral revenue to support public schools and such (hence the name)

Also to promote the building of the rail ways some of the western lands in each township and range the rail road was to pass through was granted to the RR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_%28United_States_land_surveying%29

http://www.cprr.org/Museum/Pacific_Railroad_Acts.html

Rail Road ACT OF JULY 1, 1862.

SEC. 3 . And be it further enacted, {Land grants. Alternate sections.} That there be, and is hereby, granted to the said company, for the purpose of aiding in the construction of said railroad and telegraph line, and to secure the safe and speedy, transportation of the mails, troops, munitions of war, and public stores thereon, every alternate section of public land, designated by odd numbers, {Changed to ten by Sec. 4, 1864 , and grant to twenty miles.} to the amount of five alternate sections per mile on each side of said railroad, on the line thereof, and within the limits of ten miles on each side of said road, not sold, reserved, or otherwise disposed of by the United States, and to which a preemption or homestead claim may not have attached, at the time the line of said road is definitely fixed: ...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:50:12 PM by hotrod »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
....These are most probably what are sometimes called "school sections". When the west was surveyed they broke it up into townships and ranges these formed blocks of 36 square miles (6 miles on a side) out of those 36 sections frequently one section was granted to the states for their use, often directing any tax or mineral revenue to support public schools and such (hence the name)

Also to promote the building of the rail ways some of the western lands in each township and range the rail road was to pass through was granted to the RR....

If you have been to Monument Valley and Gouldings...

http://www.gouldings.com/

..... (where John Wayne stayed along with the film crews) you have been on land that was a state school section and sold to Goulding.  I'll bet they could of got a lot more for it if they would of waited until now.  It is surrounded by the Navajo Nation.

Likewise with the land all along the Union Pacific tracks across Wyoming and other western states as you mentioned to help them financially in building the first transcontinental railroad.  There again UP has made millions off of that land subsequently in mineral rights and sales thereof.

The main thing is that Utah can ticket you regardless of if you are on state land or BLM land,

Sum

Offline Ozonkiller

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »
So, just to make sure I'm reading this correctly...

If I borrow my neighbor's Yamaha 450 quad with the current Arizona off road tag, I'm good to go...

Do the check for spark arrestors etc?

Tom

Offline aut0m4tic

• New folks
Re:
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
Tom:
 It's 50/50 on the spark arrestor I've been checked and I've been passed by, but that's mostly mountain riding.  I would suspect that they would have no reason to worry about a forest fire on the salt, but as always the Utah laws allow an officer so much leeway that if you don't "respect" their undying need for authority they can "uphold" the law.
Cory