Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 547352 times)

Offline jww36

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #1200 on: August 30, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »
When will the time come when somebody steps up and gets a restraining order against the BLM to dis-continue all mining until a third party does a diligent job regarding salt depletion, which could take some time?

I'm no tree hugger, but I know one thing. If the BLM was allowing loggers to cut down old growth redwoods, they would have their asses in court as fast as Danny's streamliner.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »
 :cheers:  lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1202 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »
I think that the mining company is operating within what their contract allows. The problem is that BLM allowed that contract to be written in such a way that it virtually guaranteed the depletion of the salt crust. The culprit is the BLM- call it malfeasance or ignorance or incompetence. ...or even corruption.

With the infamous Roxanne Tea "we may not allow you to run if you keep criticizing us" still employed by the BLM, it demonstrates that their bureaucracy tolerates that kind of threatening behavior toward the public.

Any place I ever worked would have shown Roxanne the door as soon as they were aware of her threats.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

gkabbt

« Reply #1203 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »

Just saw this posted on BangShift. Fast forward this 1995 video to 5:50 to hear Steve Evans talk about Save the Salt suing Riley Industries and the BLM over the loss of salt. From the video, the U.S. Geological Service said 1.5 million tons of salt were being depleted annually.
Wonder what ever happened with the suit? Oh, let me guess!  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/watch-wayne-baileys-incredible-top-fuel-save-from-the-1995-us-nationals-stuck-throttle/

Gregg

EDITED TO ADD:
1.5 million tons X 21 years = 31.5 million tons of depleted salt and minerals!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:15:38 AM by gkabbt »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #1204 on: August 30, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
Bulk deicing salt weighs about 80 lbs. per cubic foot translating to 2,160 lbs. per cubic yard or roughly 1 ton.  At a cubic yard a ton that is a lot of salt ...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1205 on: August 30, 2016, 08:15:58 PM »
Bye Bye Roxanne!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline will6er

« Reply #1206 on: August 30, 2016, 09:14:14 PM »
I think you could do a core sample with a teaspoon.
Wouldn't salt replenishment affect the ground water?

At 1:08, did she say "Bonneville Salt crap"?

Will Willis

Offline dw230

« Reply #1207 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
Roxanne is NOT our enemy. There are some who include themselves in the community who are a determent to the cause.

Say goodbye to Roxanne if you will, but wish her good luck in her new assignment.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #1208 on: August 31, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
With the infamous Roxanne Tea "we may not allow you to run if you keep criticizing us" still employed by the BLM, it demonstrates that their bureaucracy tolerates that kind of threatening behavior toward the public.

I believe at the end of the BLM "threat" debacle that we discovered that she was simply conveying the sense and feeling around the BLM office and not directly behind the threat itself.  Perhaps you missed that part but now that you know, you guys that keep targeting her need to stop.  It's entirely uncalled for.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1209 on: August 31, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »

I believe at the end of the BLM "threat" debacle that we discovered that she was simply conveying the sense and feeling around the BLM office and not directly behind the threat itself.  Perhaps you missed that part but now that you know, you guys that keep targeting her need to stop.  It's entirely uncalled for.

Nathan;

Uncalled for? She was the one who said it; the fact that it represents the BLM office feeling only makes the situation worse! No offense intended toward you- this BLM threat situation is how tyranny begins.

Offline dw230

« Reply #1210 on: August 31, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
The statement by Roanne came from someone much higher than her pay grade. Don't shoot the messenger, look to the top.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline crawford

« Reply #1211 on: September 01, 2016, 06:45:38 PM »
Wow, you guys truely amaze me, don't you have anything better to do, hey its 5:00 pm, time for your dinner!!!
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1212 on: September 01, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1213 on: September 01, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »
Wow, you guys truely amaze me, don't you have anything better to do, hey its 5:00 pm, time for your dinner!!!

The same question could be asked of you.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1214 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
When will the time come when somebody steps up and gets a restraining order against the BLM to dis-continue all mining until a third party does a diligent job regarding salt depletion, which could take some time?

I'm no tree hugger, but I know one thing. If the BLM was allowing loggers to cut down old growth redwoods, they would have their asses in court as fast as Danny's streamliner.

AND, unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what it took to get the BLM to STOP allowing the logging of "old growth redwoods".    Their policies at the time defied all "common sense" and "conventional wisdom".   Go figure . . .

It took over a decade for the decision to be made in the courts, and who knows how much in legal costs.    And as far as the additional trees cut down during that decade, it will take a mere millennia for them to grow back . . . . . .

This is what "extractive industries" do, they remove public assets from OUR environment, typically with no compensation to the tax paying public, or worse yet, at government subsidized cost.    It is a great scam, the tax payer gets hit twice, and gets told by government: "Learn to like it".

I'll bet the same phrase gets used in prison . . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein