Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 547348 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #645 on: July 27, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »
Has anyone taken a core sample from the surface that has the mud on it? I would like someone local to do this possible. Some people say the mud will eventually sink when flooded  for a while and some people say it will surface then blow away eventually. Logic tells me if we took a core sample 6" deep and put the sample in clear tube the same size as the core (close), then added a bunch of water simulating this winters rains, we can see what will happen to the mud.
Salt racing has not ended in one year. When the crews were prepping the track for Speedweek 2014, they were very exited about the condition of the salt. Right now, it seems like the record rainfall received by the salt this spring and the subsequent mud that washed onto the racing surface is the most urgent problem and the mining depletion is more of a longer term threat.  Does someone want to volunteer to do this test?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline edinlr

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #646 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
On a slightly positive note, I noticed that Montego Bay did refund my reservation, less one weekend night.  That, plus what I will save on travel, will help pay for all the crap I bought for the bike this year.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline BasementBorn

Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #648 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
  Lets all remember that you have to be careful what you wish for.
  Hopefully all of these emails & calls to government officials dose not hit a nerve in the right / wrong official and then he or she gets the idea that we are right and the salt must be protected for future generations.  The possible result,,,,  Protection that bans all humans from setting foot on the salt. 
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #649 on: July 31, 2015, 11:00:13 AM »
Well said JC !

Offline joea

« Reply #650 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
walk on egg shells all you want, were not walking on salt at SpeedWeek as it is NOW...!!!

Offline jl222

« Reply #651 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:22 PM »
walk on egg shells all you want, were not walking on salt at SpeedWeek as it is NOW...!!!

I wish someone besides me would calculate how many truck and trailer loads of salt based on Intrepids figures there would
be. Then figure how many yards in truck and trailer and how many miles of salt based on 81sq ft to a yrd 4 inches thick.
and 200 ft wide.

I have and I don't see the Salt.

JL222

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #652 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
I am really lucky to have some amazing friends in my life. One of them heads up a major cable outdoor channel in L.A. and is also an Emmy award winning documentary film maker. I've been sharing some of the posts from several Bonneville related pages with him over the past few weeks, specifically those from racers and volunteers who have had their boots on the salt for multiple decades. If any of you that have several decades and/or generations of perspective on The Salt, PLEASE email me at fast4special@gmail.com and I will pass along his companies contact information. They are willing to travel for an interview, and are considering coming to The Salt next weekend for a cancelled Speedweek shoot, so could interview there as well. They are super low-key and can interview in any format that makes you comfortable. Please share this with anyone that you think is a worthy candidate. Thanks, Pedro ‪#‎savethesalt‬
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #653 on: July 31, 2015, 02:25:05 PM »

I wish someone besides me would calculate how many truck and trailer loads of salt based on Intrepids figures there would
be. Then figure how many yards in truck and trailer and how many miles of salt based on 81sq ft to a yrd 4 inches thick.
and 200 ft wide.

I have and I don't see the Salt.

JL222

Go to save the salt on home pg then history 1,600,000 TONS of salt pumped on lake bed NOT brine. divide that by tons
per load of a truck and trailer :-o

JL222

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #654 on: July 31, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
Yea it probably works out to about half of the NON-POTASH SALT they haul out of there every year.... and ship by the train load to God knows where...  :cry:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

gkabbt

« Reply #655 on: July 31, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
Just saw this article on Yahoo:

Visit This American Natural Wonder Before It Disappears

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/visit-this-american-natural-wonder-before-it-125448539732.html

Interesting that the author visited now and also that she linked the AP and SLT articles.
Maybe press like this, from non-racers, can help!

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:13:23 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #656 on: July 31, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »
Here's an approach I'm taking.

I've picked up the twitter feed of Dave Kallman, the motorsports writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.  As it turns out, the Project '64 guys in New Zealand also follow Dave's tweets.  I sent him a tweet with the link to the SEMA article, and simply said that as a local racer who races at Bonneville, it sure would be nice to see some press about the failure to be able to mount Speedweek two years in a row.

I'll keep you posted as to what comes of it, but local news is ALWAYS looking for local angles on national and international issues.  If they can bring a story to their editor about a local who has been affected by poor management on the part of the BLM, and how it's affecting an internationally recognized racing event, it's likely to get some traction.

It's my thought that by getting this story out in small, digestible and relatable bits into a number of different markets, we can raise awareness across the country, and even internationally.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #657 on: July 31, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
I agree drip drip drip news items in the long term make a difference. Most consumers need to see an item about 5 times before they decide it is important enough to pay attention to if it is outside their normal news concerns.

I would encourage all the local racers to try to get some local ink on the long term health of the salt flats, and its international standing as an important venue in the racing world.
Like the Pikes Peak Hill climb, Le Mans, the Indy 500 it is one of only a few racing events that has history going back to the beginning of the automobile.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #658 on: July 31, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
This is tough to do here, because I know Jon would prefer we stay non political in our discussions on the boards.

Unfortunately, we're already in the maelstrom, so it's my intention to move forward with these thoughts in a positive manner, respectful of others beliefs, and with a resolution as the goal.

What we do is demonstrably econeutral enough that I'm of the mind that in the particular case of the Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway, we're more likely to find allies in the environmental community than enemies - especially when issues of mismanagement on the part of the BLM are front and center.

I think it's reasonable to assume that many environmentalists would consider what is happening to the Salt Flats abhorrent.

I know I do.

Many environmental organizations with political sway have stated agendas and goals that are, on face value, contradictory to automotive recreation on public lands.  But realistically - at Bonneville - racers and environmentalists share a common boogieman.

It is not the racers who have degraded the salt flats, it is the mining interests who have, and under the purview of the BLM.

I suspect it goes against the very grain of what many of you hold dear to embrace a tree hugger, but as a tree hugger who knows a lot of other tree huggers, many of us are not nearly as militant or radical as you might think.

JC alludes to a possible negative scenario in which, out of concerns for the Salt Flats, we could be prohibited from racing by government decree.  But if that happens, that means one of two things has happened.  Either the environmentalists made this a cause and won, or the mining concerns made it their cause and simply sucked the salt right out from underneath us. 

In my view, this is a three way fight, the racers are the moderate force, and the mining interests are winning - yet any uncommitted allies we might have in the environmental movement have not been tapped out of fear that they might take the salt away from us?

I don't think that makes any sense.

Within the political and activist organizations regarding Bonneville, as with ANY political movement, there are moderate influencers on both sides who we need to reach out to.  While Save the Salt has communications with Intrepid, I'm unaware of any approach on the part of organized racers to reach out to any environmental organization. 

It is the moderate environmentalist that must be politically activated in this fight, and who we must win over as allies.  Some may be members of organizations you/I/we don't agree with, but such organizations are not homogenized monoliths in their makeup.  I believe outreach on our part to the environmental community will do more to strengthen our position than it will to hurt us. 

Yes, it potentially puts us in the crosshairs of a crossfire, but not reaching out has left us with little solid salt to stand on.

We're kinda at the point that if we want to get some additional help, we might have to put a little trust into someone we might not like.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #659 on: August 01, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »
Well said Chris, well said.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Whycantwealljustgetalongboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein