Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 545681 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Saving Dry Lakes Racing
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 11:21:31 PM »
One very important tactical point I would liked to make - specifically about Bonneville.

The Department of the Interior refers to it as a speedway . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tommy-ironic/59100644

With respect to Bonneville, I think any and all correspondence with government officials should use the entire name that the Department of the Interior has christened it with - "Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway".

By using the entire name, there can be little doubt in the minds of even the dullest of politicians as to what the DOI intends its use to be, and underscores the racers rights on linguistic grounding that the DOI has long acknowledged.

As to who I can write, I haven't a single Representative or Senator in Wisconsin on any pertinent committees.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:44:41 AM by SPARKY »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
1LEG and MM  thanks!

We are on a roll----I just joined C.O.R.V.A.  

There is a meeting coming up in Livermore Ca on May 31st that was posted on the CORVA website---free to the public

WE need some one to attend and take good notes

Pls someone  Step up  go to the CORVA website and read what this is all about!!

This is the kid of interaction we need all across the USA!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:45:17 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
Neil while we may not think like they do ---they may or may not be worthless but they sit on the committee  we will need to contact there offices and start "INFORMING THEM AND LEARN TO ASK" in such a way that they want to help!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:45:40 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
Just got off the phone with The Blue Ribbon Coalition  ----

Some of OUR biggest foes are going to be "TREE HUGGERS" like the Sierra Club

The BRC actually has joined a lawsuit on behalf of the BLM in Utah over land use planning!

That is the reason why we need someone to attend the Livermore meeting to listen and learn---we just need someone who can be a fly on the wall!

JD you are right about posting on the El M rain thread.  Thanks for your offer

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Joined Blue Ribbon and CORVA. For you AZ residents, Jeff Flake (AZ senator) is on the BLM congressional oversight committee for public lands. I will post his contact info in a later post. With regard to the El Mirage mud, here's an interesting item I found while reading the BLM rules from their website: "The lakebed is closed to all users 'WHERE' wet or muddy". Wouldn't this verbiage mean only the muddy or wet areas shall be closed? Otherwise, the word would be 'WHEN'. Right? :-o
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 07:45:50 PM »
Tim Thanks  I just got of the phone with Amy the Ex. Dir. of CORVA---they will be able to help us tremendously in CA.  We should be able to help with Washington.

Tim I just learned that call is  a "best science" interpretation  when their opinion is different than your experience or the reality

---Miss BLM's "best science" call trumped Bill L's El M experience and the reality of the lake bed

Some one needs to go to the CORVA WORKSHOP In Livermore and get up to speed on COMBATING this on 5/31/15

Offline 1leg

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
Little to far for me down by the southern border. I'm going to look at joining Corva maybe they have a san diego group. I think i was member like 20 years ago.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 10:44:01 PM »
They will have other Workshops  I was impressed with their depth and spread  They are working on a project that will affect may AZ Citizens---The Imperial Dunes just over the AZ/CA border. That area kills and maims several ever year!

Thanks for the heads up 1Leg  this is what we are going to have to do align with others that are fighting the battle!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:54:52 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Test-N-Tune 2015
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 12:47:19 PM »
Monte,
Could you publish a list of people that have signed up for your "Test and Tune" event?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
Monte,
Could you publish a list of people that have signed up for your "Test and Tune" event?

Rex

Rex,
I will get with Ellen and put together an entry list. I believe we are just over 70 at this point in time.  Give me a couple of days and
we will have it posted.

Offline Texican

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
  Hi, folks:
I'm involved in a road trip to visit family in Indiana.
I-80 in Western Nebraska is undergoing a major rebuild.
All overburden down to the bare dirt is being removed; so you have 20 to 25 mile
stretches of one way, 2 lane traffic.
Sometimes separated by a New Jersey barricade; others, just a row of candles and a bright tape.
  Speed limits can vary; 65 most common, sometimes 55.
Typically, there is a citizen who is  extra cautious, and runs at 10 under.
The point of these is to tell those coming from the East, to check the website, and leave
early enough to deal with the mess.
There are also a few problem areas in Wyoming.
Good Luck!
transportation.nebraska.gov/511/detours/construction-detours-info.pdf

Jim

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Rex, et al;
I have learned that most of the competitors registered for the July Test-N-Tune have requested that we not publish an entry list for the event.  In keeping with their requests we will not be posting a list of those entered.  I can say that we have 69 paid entries at this time.

The salt report from 2 days ago, says there is still standing water on the surface.  The month of May in Utah was one of the wettest
in many a year.  Normally the course prep for the year gets started early June.  This year we will be delayed until the water goes away.
I will post updates as I have them.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
Heard back from Amy at CORVA today! 

She had contacted several people, inside both organizations.

Their suggestion: introducing SICENCE into the evaluation process--- a Moisture Meter-- that way everyone will be able to see and record what the conditions of the Lake Bed are.  May be a way out for racers and the GOVT.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2015, 04:00:10 PM »
... or maybe common sense.  If 99% of lake bed is dry and usable, open the gate and allow access.  The 1% of lake bed that's wet whether determined through objective or subjective means should be coned off, closed and monitored/patrolled.

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 05:11:39 PM »
Common sense would be great but in my experience, especially dealing with a government agency, it doesn't come in to play. A lot of that has to do with the person making the call not wanting any backlash from above and if there is no data for them to back it up it's just their, not fully informed, judgment call. If you can give them a map with a handful of moisture sampling points so you can point to where the bad spots are it would likely make a solid argument for "it's good over there but not over here". It would be easy to do, use a quick moisture meter and make a point with a gps and call it good. The question I would have is where is the line between a moisture content good to run and one that's not? I have yet to be to El Mo so I have no clue.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO