Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 547965 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #1065 on: December 18, 2015, 12:46:10 PM »
If the Democrats are for it then the Republicans and there fore the majority will be against it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1066 on: December 18, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »
If the Democrats are for it then the Republicans and there fore the majority will be against it.

It is sad that this is the way the parties work/don't work together anymore on about anything,

Sum

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1067 on: December 18, 2015, 01:00:02 PM »

I don't perceive it as so.  Every other Senator and Governor who has signed on in the form of letters of support of our position to the BLM have been Republicans.  I don't think it's Pollyannaish to think that the minority leader signing on has done anything but to give a green light to Dems to at take our position seriously.

I'm optimistic on this one - and I'm usually not.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:01:59 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #1068 on: December 18, 2015, 01:17:04 PM »
there is as much as 116 million tons of salt in pond 5 alone. at a recovery of 2 million tons per year, that is a 50+ year inventory. not saying we can or should get it all but it is a place to start discussions.

additionally, in our numerous discussions with our congressional leaders, we have been asked, "what do you want?"

Is this salt in the ponds chemicaly what is needed to replace the surface ?
Just thinking that without the potasium would it make the hard hallite surface needed ?
Hoping that the pond salt wont make a sludge or dust course.
David.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 03:15:17 PM by rgdavid »

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #1069 on: December 27, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »
Happy Salt New Year All, (let's HOPE so)  FYI, Hot rod newsletter had a fairly good article about the current and former conditions of our beloved flats> who knows, maybe some of the readers will motivate along with us> sure can't hurt. It gave references to UA & STS and did a comparision to 1957! Keep our fingers crossed and keep on pushing !  B T W it was the HR newsletter from 12/24  at hotrod.com  :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1070 on: December 27, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
I've been WTFing for some time about hotRod not making any noise over the issues at Bonneville, it's not as if they're not in the loop! :?
  Sid.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1071 on: December 28, 2015, 05:02:29 AM »
I've been WTFing for some time about hotRod not making any noise over the issues at Bonneville, it's not as if they're not in the loop! :?
  Sid.

You can judge interest about the condition of the Salt Flats just from the number of signatures on the petition . . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1072 on: December 28, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
I'm trying to find this article on Hot Rod's site to no avail.  Is there a direct link?

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #1073 on: December 28, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Good morning all, sorry about the lack of a link to HR newsletter, apparently you need to 'subscribe' to the newsletter, it's on the website and all you have to do is scrooll down to the NL tab, supply email  and zipcode, doesn't look like you need to subscribe to the mag to get the N L .Hope that helps>  :cheers:

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #1074 on: January 01, 2016, 09:25:03 AM »
Halite surface or Salt crust?
Could it be the BLM geologist doesn't understand our requirement?
Maybe it means different things to the BLM...

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1075 on: January 01, 2016, 10:29:30 AM »
Last night I heard a news story about U S Cong. Rod Bishop, from Brigham City.  He's working on a deal/plan/bill? to wrest control of BLM lands and give it back to the states -- in his case, Utah.

Is he on our radar list of folks we should be contacting?  He certainly sounds like he oughta be.

*Edited to correct a mis-spelling.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1076 on: January 01, 2016, 10:41:20 AM »
Last night I heard a news story about U S Cong. Rod Bishop, from Brigham City.  He's working on a deal/plan/bill? to wrest control of BLM lands and give it back to the states -- in his case, Utah.

Is he on our radar list of folks we should be contacting?  He certainly sounds like he oughta be.

*Edited to correct a mis-spelling.

He's already supplied a letter to the BLM regarding Bonneville, a copy of which is in the save-the-salt archives.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1077 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
That brings up a good tangential thought:

Is it worth the effort to write BACK to a congressman after he's helped out - with a letter, an phone call, whatever?  Will it bear fruit making him a better ally?

Just thinking out loud, so to speak, on a fine New Year's Day.  Nancy's crashed from last night -- I'm out working in the 22F and flurries.  Life is good, and Bonnie Raitt's on the stereo.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1078 on: January 01, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
That brings up a good tangential thought:

Is it worth the effort to write BACK to a congressman after he's helped out - with a letter, an phone call, whatever?  Will it bear fruit making him a better ally?

Just thinking out loud, so to speak, on a fine New Year's Day.  Nancy's crashed from last night -- I'm out working in the 22F and flurries.  Life is good, and Bonnie Raitt's on the stereo.

A "Thank You" note is always appropriate, and I would include any staff members who were involved.  Those are the "behind the scenes" people who, when acknowledged, can often be great allies if things start to go sideways.

Nancy and Bonnie - not a bad way to start a new year, chief!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1079 on: January 01, 2016, 12:28:21 PM »
This is so exciting to me that the political side of this is now beginning to gain traction.  Between what I have witnessed at EL M and B'ville and living  in AZ the Fed Govts relationship with " Fed. public lands" that should have been transferred to the individual states when they joined the Union.  This is very much a political issue and it will be solved politically.

I again suggest that the 2 Club take the lead in getting the racers message out.  Into the various congressional offices, the various news organs, the various states that do not have their public lands. 

The 200 MPH Club Board should embrace this and urge their members to get involved.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!