Author Topic: budget busa build  (Read 22499 times)

Offline mtkawboy

budget busa build
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
Great looking work. Just curious, isnt that small cooler going to get packed with salt pretty quickly hanging down that low with it coming off the front tire?

Offline gazza414

On a budget
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 09:05:21 PM »
Hawkwind, some might be interested in what you have spent doing it as you say

the author /builder practices the time honored minimalist approach ,minimum ,money,time ,talent,tools and everything

also how did the lower bearing machined recess end up after the welding around it??? ie did you check for distortion? outa round
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice

landracing

budget busa build
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »
Quote from: mtkawboy
Great looking work. Just curijous, isnt that small cooler going to get packed with salt pretty quickly hanging down that low with it coming off the front tire?

The typical year for Australia, doesn't pick up any salt that will pack...

Their salt is very hard and almost like running on pavement...

Unless you are an American contigent that goes over with like, lets say 4 motorcycles, then it will rain and get salt pack...

Jon

Offline mtkawboy

budget busa build
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 02:03:29 PM »
Thanks, I thought it was like Bville salt and it looked to me like it would just pack solid with salt off the front wheel by the time it was to the timing traps

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
budget busa build
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »
Quote from: mtkawboy
Thanks, I thought it was like Bville salt and it looked to me like it would just pack solid with salt off the front wheel by the time it was to the timing traps

The last 3-4 years the salt at b'ville even off course has been really hard even off course.  I remember when if you got off any of the roads you could fill up your whole fender in a very short distance.

c ya, Sum

Offline hawkwind

Re: On a budget
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 02:40:40 AM »
Quote from: gazza414
Hawkwind, some might be interested in what you have spent doing it as you say

the author /builder practices the time honored minimalist approach ,minimum ,money,time ,talent,tools and everything

also how did the lower bearing machined recess end up after the welding around it??? ie did you check for distortion? outa round

Gazza ,bearing race /cone went in no probs , and it turns smoothly without any resistance , I did not measure before or after ,as for the cost , its all relative ,which ever way you look at it speed costs , and anything that one can do to  keep that cost to a minimum is a bonus , infact thats the only way some can do it,anyone who has some basic skills and a good hobbyist tool kit and is prepaired to have a go can save a motza and get a heap of satisifaction to boot
, I base this against those ,fortunate enough who only need to "write big cheques " for billet and bling everything ,or the lucky ppl who have a sponser or two to sholder the burden ,as to what it has cost to date ,way to much but many 1000's  less than having someone else do it all
slower than most

Offline hawkwind

further progress
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
Im progressing at a steady pace ,the turbo system hardware is now mostly finished ,here are some more pics

gary
slower than most

Offline joea

budget busa build
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 04:45:04 PM »
wholy crap......is that looking awesome.....!!!!!

Joe :)

Offline hawkwind

budget busa build
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 04:22:30 AM »
Well I have been very busy since the last post , turned my hand to designing and making a complete new set of bodywork , the pics below show it all loosley fitted so I can mark out the final paint designs and finish the paint , it all fits reasonably well ,most of the parts are fiberglass ,each one made as a one off ,I have added the base colour (metalflake silver ) and its rubbed back ready for the final colours , the tank is a dummy and covers the inlectors and plenum and other stuff , It would be interesting to see how aerodynamic or not it is ,anyway back to the shed as I have lots more to make before its complete and March is just around the corner

I will add more as Its completed ,looking forward to trying it out
Chers Gary
slower than most

terry russell

budget busa build
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 08:56:56 AM »
I dont know about bikes but thats is one bad bike, Damn fine work

Offline Larry Forstall

budget busa build
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 10:37:51 AM »
Very Nice Gary. I hereby knight you into the royal order of OBRT. (Owner,builder,rider,tuner). Very few do it all. Big numbers are sure to follow. Hopefully a sponsor will appreciate your dedication. After 30 years I am still looking for someone to sponsor the tail wind.  :lol:  Best of luck this March.  Larry

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
IT CAN BE DONE
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »
I was fortunate enough to see a liner get a tail wind both ways in time for
 a 2 hour turn around.
Sadly he was not up to record speed yet but it was great planning.
Finally they did it with no wind, no spare parts, or enough fuel for
 another run.
 When he did set a record it stood for 16 years. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
budget busa build
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 01:38:56 PM »
incredible work. incredible fabrication. incredible forethought.
OBRT is right.
keep us UTD.

Offline firemanjim

budget busa build
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 12:25:59 AM »
Wow,Gary.You have certainly been busy. What are you forming body from? Looks like your rules regarding covering of rear tire are a bit more relxed than ours.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
do you sleep?
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2006, 06:49:37 PM »
Congratulations...........top work Gary , unbelievable amount of hard yakka gone in there!........inside and out it looks great............so , no choc-tops with nuts this year?? :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.