Author Topic: Assuming.  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Assuming.
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
  After reading Jonny Hotnuts opening salvo a few days back and having neither any of the facts or a opinion on the matter, I decided to not even follow the thread until the dust had settled.
  Having seen the lock on the thread, I decided to read it from start to finish, and I still have no facts or opinion on the matter.
  What came back to my damaged memory was how I was guilty (more than once) of using this site during the Amo owned era to disseminate late night rebutals, wine fueled rants and facts for which I had no proof (which really means they were not in fact... facts).
  Probably the worst one was when I took umbrage at some long gone user of this site who was a devotee of Doug Herbert (Chet's son) and while disagreeing with the poster I made several outrageous statements about Doug's past History stating "facts" which may or may not have been true but which I believed to be the former.
  I did not, however, research my "facts" before I posted, and the results showed what a Idiot I was (and to some degree still am).
  Doug sent me a e mail the next day and simply asked that I not make personal attacks on him as he was already beat up by the recent losses of his only two sons and his father.
  What he should have done was threatened to kick my ass... I deserved it, but instead he chose to act as a human being ought to do, and acted like a gentleman about it.
  Although his e mail has not stopped my rants, it changed my life forever as I typed out a humble apology to Doug and it taught me a valuable lesson in life.
  We all need to temper our thoughts before we print and post, and we need to think about who or what might be affected by our lack of "facts" or knowledge before we "ASSUME" (making a ass out of you and me) that we have the "all knowing" answers or sage advice for others to peruse.
  As Jack Webb used to say: "the facts Mam, just the facts".
                                                                                           Respectfully, Bob Drury.
Bob Drury

Offline debgeo

Re: Assuming.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »
Great post THANKS
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
Mr. Drury

All I can say is Kudos to you. The events over the last couple days have been an interesting study in Human behavior.

This is not the first, nor the last time it will happen. History will repeat.

I can only hope that some folks learned some lessons and maybe, just maybe, step up and contribute to the volunteers who make it possible to race.

I would also like to extend a round of Kudos to ALL the moderators and especially Jon (SSS) for not censoring the site.

The disclaimer is sufficient and once started (censoring) the slope gets very slippery.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »
One Run, Thank you for the great insight. Now if only you could get you bone headed son, Jr from Kansas
To pay attention we all might be better off :cheers:

Smoke Jumper OUT 8-)
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
  John Boy, didn't I disown him a while back?  I can't remember sh*t anymore.  Where in hell did I get a name like "One Run"?
                                                                      One Run, out.....................................
Bob Drury

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:20 PM »
 :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »
It all depends on how you interpret the description "One Run."

You may have considered it as derogatory implying that you were only capable of one run.

It may have escaped your interpretation that it was a compliment that you had achieved a run.

Now that you have aged, and your knowledge increased, you should include the second possibility.

I'll watch for you Speed Week 2014. You know where to get the tune up for the second and third runs.

I just hope for that one run on February 15, 2015 to the Bonneville NW Reunion.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »
 :cheers: What's up DOC :? :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:30:07 AM by SPARKY »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
I don't know you Bob but I respect you big time.

More than before even. :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
  John Boy, didn't I disown him a while back?  I can't remember sh*t anymore.  Where in hell did I get a name like "One Run"?
                                                                      One Run, out.....................................

:cheers: "you are hallucinating and over thinking stuff.... that happens when you are sleep deprived" :cheers:

Darn, now I need a mickey :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »
From what i've seen, ol' One-Run gives it his best the first time out.  You gotta respect that.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records