Author Topic: Why the need for the new disclamer?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline desotoman

Why the need for the new disclamer?
« on: June 05, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
SSS,

I don't understand the need for the new Disclaimer? Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Tom G.

http://www.landracing.com/images/forum_disclaimer.jpg
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Why the need for the new disclamer?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
Simply put, Tom -- on the advice of my legal adviser who I ask to give me advice (to put it in silly words).  I have always felt that it goes without saying that what's posted on the Forum is obviously the opinion of the person making the post, but I've been led to the decision to state so in plain language.  Obviously - it was the thread on "Dirty Laundry", by Jonny Hotnuts, that got the gears meshing in our heads, but it's something that I should have posted here sooner.  You're welcome to say what you will -- but now it's clear that you will bear the responsibility for putting it there should someone take umbrage at what you've said.

Thanks for asking.  I expected that someone would do so -- and you haven't disappointed me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »
I'm just happy to see legalese that is clear and to the point.

As far as boilerplate goes, I think it's a fine example.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
SSS,

Thanks for the reply, and I am glad I have not disappointed you by asking my question. Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Finely put Tom. :cheers:

Thanks Jon.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
A warning is better than not.
However: does it prevent someone from taking offense, and attributing the post to the management? No.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
Sept. 2013 SCTA Board minutes:--has references to LIABILITY, and the causal factor---- was actions of one and the same!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:12 PM »
Panic said:  "does it prevent someone from taking offense, and attributing the post to the management? No."

But it does make it a little more difficult to prove, in a court of law, that the website (in this case) or management thereof is responsible.  That's what I wanted to do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 11:40:49 PM »
Obviously - it was the thread on "Dirty Laundry", by Jonny Hotnuts, that got the gears meshing in our heads, but it's something that I should have posted here sooner.  You're welcome to say what you will -- but now it's clear that you will bear the responsibility for putting it there should someone take umbrage at what you've said.

:cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20