Author Topic: 2014 The Road Ahead for Nish Motorsports  (Read 19250 times)

Offline ack

Re: 2014 The Road Ahead for Nish Motorsports
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »
I be believe some clarification is needed here. It doesn’t cost 25K to run and set an FIA record at the Shootout.  It’s not cheap but nowhere near 25K. I got the FIA numbers from Jim True who was set to run last year at the event. He paid $5,700 to the FIA much of which was refunded because the event was rained out. I understand the FIA as part of this fee pays the Rice brothers to time the event. There was an additional $5,000 due to Mike Cook if the event had run, for a total of $10,700. I don’t know what the ratification fee is if you want the record to go in the books and receive a certificate. I heard someone mention several thousand dollars however I just talked to Ron Main and he said it was cheap he is going to let me know the exact amount when he gets back and I will post it then.

Costs for the FIM portion of which I have direct knowledge as I coordinate this part of the event are as follows:

FIM/AMA sanction fees is $11,400 this includes all costs for air fare, food, lodging rental car for both Charlie who travels from Switzerland and Drew who travels from Chicago to be present at the event. The FIM requires that a certified surveying company lay out the mile and kilo to sub centimeter accuracy this costs $3,000 for a total of $14,400.

Since 2008 Top 1 Oil has picked up the cost for the FIM/AMA and course certification costs if a competitor runs Top 1 Oil graphics, so the cost to run if you run the graphics is just the 5K to Mike Cook for running the event. There is a $400 fee to have the world body ratify the record and issue a certificate.

An event like this is not cheap to put on and Mike has been able to keep it going with the help of some generous people, companies and volunteers. There are large costs such as keeping fire and EMT on standby up to 12 hours a day, insurance, sanitary facilities, course preparation starting a couple months in advance and many other miscellaneous expenses.

As to the need or desire to run for FIA or FIM records it all depends what your goals are. If your goal is to see how fast you can go any of the Bonneville events will give you very accurate timing of your speeds. For those who feel world reorganization is important as it is to our sponsor and ourselves, the FIA or FIM is where you need to be. I look at it this way there are many minor league teams that play under rules the same or similar to major league and have players just as skilled as many in the majors.  But if you want to play in the World Series you have got to be in the majors.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »
Thanks Mike, that is a good overview and gives many of us a better idea of what the options are.  I just hope I make it to the minors someday  :-),

Sumner

Offline Wester

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 03:39:58 AM »
Most of the folks who post here don't realize that USFRA did have FIA certification at some World of Speed meets in the 1990's.  Thomason-Tradup and Larson-Cummins both set international records at those meets.  There were others, Mary West would know all the details.  There's a lot of big $$$ involved and the question becomes who do you expect to be impressed by your record?  In a relatively small racing community the number of people who care about international records are small compared to the peer respect for Bonneville records set at Speed Week and World of Speed.  How many reading this post can name specific racers and their FIA record speeds? Think of the Bonneville records you know about as compared to the FIA classifications that don't identify vehicles in the same way.   Does it all come down to publicity and sponsors name recognition?  The publicity for new records depends on who sets them and the chest beating that accompanies them.  The Brits have taken national pride to new levels in their quest for the ultimate land speed records and their industries cough up big $$$ for the chance to be identified with a fast record.  My thought is it is only worth what a team is willing to pay to publicize their accomplishment.  I have a poster on my wall with the Burkland's FIA Category 11 record speed, how many of you know what it is?

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 03:56:10 AM »
I don't but please shed some light?.
I'm interested to learn more.

Thanks for the great post.

Mike.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 05:13:51 AM »
Burklands' mile record - and a few others.

The same runs yielded a km speed of 416.xxx mph, but not fast enough to beat Al Teague's astounding 425.050 mph.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Mr. Ack :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20