Author Topic: Dirty laundry....  (Read 34517 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Dirty laundry....
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
I guess I don't see the purpose of this whole thread.

This may not be a popular view, but this thread is a complete waste of bandwidth. This should have been handled with the SCTA, not here, IMHO

Until a ALL of the FACTS are honestly revealed, this is nothing more than what the title states-dirty laundry

JH, I'm very happy that you are ok after the crash!

Good luck with your current build.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2014, 09:24:04 PM »
Buddy,  that cuts to the chase----this should have been handled---off the record-- then attempt to get a modification---this is nothing but crying in ones beer and woe is me BS

---the SCTA is not going to respond other than Dan saying the "Current Board" is in the Rule book --- JH just doesn't get it---nearly everyone who has raced at a few events could tell a story ----

But thank God and the SCTA--- the volunteers come back ---and nearly all of us return until we just can't---

I had a delightful visit just yesterday with an 82 year young racer ( one of the earlier 2 club members) who having to come to grips with he may have run his last race---the body just will not respond to his commands anymore.  I only hope my checkbook and body wait that long to give up!!!!!!!!!!!!  He is planning on being at speed week without his car!!

Here is to this wonderful "SICK ADDICTION" and the PASSION we all seem to suffer from and the SCTA that enables us to do it!    :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
JR 529 said "...you can be class illegal and hot lap at Bonneville and nobody would/should care. That only matters when you want to certify a record."

Boy, I guess i should be racing cars and not bikes.  Last year I was in inspection with my ZX12 motorcycle that was plumbed for running nitrous.  There wasn't a bottle attached - and neither was the plumbing complete enough to let me spray if I put on said bottle.  A solenoid in the line was quire obviously missing.  I was planing to register the bike in a gas class - just because that was what I figured I'd do.  No particular reason, and no intention or hope of making it into impound in any way, shape, or form no matter what class I ran in.  And so I told the inspectors - that I wasn't going to take the bike to impound no matter what - when I was informed that I wouldn't be allowed to get an "inspected" sticker when the bike had and of the nitrous plumbing on it -- lines, bottle, wiring.  I could run if I chose -- but only if I ran in fuel class.

That told me that at least some inspectors DO check for class legality.  It wasn't just them letting me know that I wouldn't make it through impound if I tried it.  I wouldn't be allowed to race if I registered as a gas bike.

Dang, I shoulda chosen cars. :?

Now Slim, that wouldn't have been about class compliance. It would've related to rule 7.B.21.
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline JR529

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
To JR529 , I suggest you fully read or reread my post.

No where does the word safe, safer, safest, safety or any other word that might be used instead of safe show up in any of my writings. I can put words in my mouth but please don't you try to.

We all know the inspectors look the other way at some cars with obivious rule infractions and get the microscope out for others.

Sorry, I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. Inspectors only check safety items, that's why I assumed you were talking about safety issues. If you are talking about class legalities then that's Record Certification (different from tech inspection) and Dan Warner, the specific committees and the racers (protest) themselves police that area. If you know of a car that was getting certified and you believe it was not in compliance with the rules then what official did you tell about it? If nobody then why not?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:55:07 PM by JR529 »

Offline JR529

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »
JR 529 said "...you can be class illegal and hot lap at Bonneville and nobody would/should care. That only matters when you want to certify a record."

Boy, I guess i should be racing cars and not bikes.  Last year I was in inspection with my ZX12 motorcycle that was plumbed for running nitrous.  There wasn't a bottle attached - and neither was the plumbing complete enough to let me spray if I put on said bottle.  A solenoid in the line was quire obviously missing.  I was planing to register the bike in a gas class - just because that was what I figured I'd do.  No particular reason, and no intention or hope of making it into impound in any way, shape, or form no matter what class I ran in.  And so I told the inspectors - that I wasn't going to take the bike to impound no matter what - when I was informed that I wouldn't be allowed to get an "inspected" sticker when the bike had and of the nitrous plumbing on it -- lines, bottle, wiring.  I could run if I chose -- but only if I ran in fuel class.

That told me that at least some inspectors DO check for class legality.  It wasn't just them letting me know that I wouldn't make it through impound if I tried it.  I wouldn't be allowed to race if I registered as a gas bike.

Dang, I shoulda chosen cars. :?

Now Slim, that wouldn't have been about class compliance. It would've related to rule 7.B.21.
G

Yep, you are right. That's a M/C specific rule. The car rule says just the bottles have to be removed (rule 3.I.2)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
Am I the only one that finds it ironic, and somewhat disturbing, that so many ambiguous allegations are directed at our volunteers, yet those complaining don't step up and themselves get involved?

Just sayin'............
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »
I do not know other that hearsay what happened---but it must have been pretty dang bad for him to not tell us what he did and for an all encompassing catch all rule to make it into the rule book!  This "JH Rule" should scare us all!!!!

At one point I was hellbent on proving that I didnt do what they accused me of. I was going to roll down there with all the stuff that would of shown that I was innocent of at least that ('that' as in what the rule was generated from). Now, as apposed to showing pics, or getting people that knew the deal to say so, it is likely just better for me to admit to whatever they say, dont argue with them, say I am sorry and learned a lesson.

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Thank you JH

I am sorry guys but this seems like a great time to end this thing!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:09 AM »
Things we learned from this thread...
If you have an axe to grind, you will grind it at every opportunity... (I know I do and this is not necessarily directed at JNuts, we should all think about this...)

If you do not talk to the SCTA, they will act without your input.

Everybody wants racing to be safe... it is not, but we should stay on task and try to keep it as safe as we can and still race.  Everybody has to do their part.

Think before you change anything after tech inspection

If you do alter your car after tech, even if you don't think it matters, maybe you better check with tech.

You can crash even if you don't think you will... for no apparent reason

The SCTA is not perfect, but it is our sanctioning body, work with it or don't race. 

I will not lock this thread, as suggested, but if Jon wants to I will not argue... although I am sure there is more we learned here than I thought of.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
I locked this thread own my own--- my decision MINE alone 

If Jon as owner or another moderator want to unlock it--- will not hurt my feelings at all.   This seem like a good place to stop beating on OUR BELOVED SPORT---we are all losing!

Lets let this thing scab over and try to heal before PERMANENT damage is done!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:55:04 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
Lock the thread?  No, I won't do that.  I do think that we've chewed on the subject pretty thoroughly but don't want to stifle someone that hasn't yet had his chance to let us know his feelings.  I'd just as soon that the thread went away because it's now old news, though.  When I thought that Sparky had locked it -- I was fine with it.

So -- why not let us get back to racing?  We've had a good amount of opportunity to listen, read, talk, and mostly think about a serious situation that might affect any or all of us.  Do that - and tell us how your new tuneup will get you down the racetrack faster than so-and-so's unusual way of adjusting the exhaust deflectors.

After all -- we're racers, not legislators.  Let them do the endless talking. :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com