Author Topic: Live audio from Wilmington on 12 & 13 July 2014  (Read 19778 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Live audio from Wilmington on 12 & 13 July 2014
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
Hay Chris.  I forgot the one mike that was in the crate of stuff that I've still got in the barn at home.  Might that one be an omni?  I'll take a look at it when we get home and maybe get you a part number.  If that's the case we can use it next time.  Thanks for all the help getting Greg (that is his name, right? :evil:) up and going.  I'm not going to stream from SpeedWeek (as far as I know.  If SCTA elects to not do so I'll see if they'll let me do it :-D), but from World of Speed I sure do plan to do so.  I hear the announcer that'll be on the CB for all to hear is a pretty good race event announcer.  We'll see. . .

This weekend made it pretty clear that streaming audio from the Shootout will be a technical possibility - but maybe a practical not worth it reality.  Hours of dead air punctuated by an occasional announcement by Mike Cook (something like:  "Speed Demon is going to run in about 45 minutes, and Nish is buttoning up the bodywork and planning on making a pass later, and Greg Waters is going to town for lunch but does want to make runs this afternoon" - - - followed by a half-hour of dead air.  Then we'll have maybe fifteen minutes of real stuff -- getting in the car, starting the engine, a run with the Rice Brothers announcing speeds, then - - then that's about it.  There's no real announcer and not any information system (like a computer with all of the data in it for said announcer to read to the folks back at home).  I'll be glad to give it a try -- but would appreciate it if one of the folks out there in internetland would show up to be the announcer.  Thanks in advance.

Over to you, Chris.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
An issue I noticed this morning was wind noise in the mic.  This was to be expected.

The Shure SM 57 being used is a cardioid pattern microphone - in many respects, an industry standard for dynamic microphones.  I can't think of an audio engineer in the field who doesn't have one in his ohshit kit. 

But due to their directional nature, even with wind screens - of which I installed 2 - one can't keep the wind noise from buffeting the diaphragm.

I'd like to come up with a less goofy looking omnidirectional mic for this application, which are much less susceptible to wind noise.

The one we included last year - which never really was properly proven - is actually a half-omni pattern, which is better, but a true omni mic would all but eliminate the noise.

Gregg - we're going to make a broadcast engineer out of you, yet!

Well played, my friend.

:cheers:

Oh, by the way - Gregg - you left Budweiser in my fridge, I ran out of Pabst, and - well, I owe you a beer or seven . . .

All that was about 500' over my head except the thing about Beer!
Maybe I need to hang out at a freeway exit with a sign that says:
"Wannabe Broadcast Engineer Will Work For Beer".......LOL...LOL...LOL    :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Gregg

PS
As for the owing me a Beer or 7, it has to be paid off at my house in NC.....so you and Kate, come on down!!!!!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »
I tuned in on once for about 30 seconds -- all I heard was the wind noise.  Led me to believe I was "hooked up".  So maybe it's not that bad(?).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:36:17 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
Stan - and everyone that might be interested:

Well, let's see.  If you heard only wind noise - it makes it difficult to be sure you're hooked up to the streaming sound.  We could find an announcer to sit/stand there making totally inane remarks and talking about things he used to do and trying to tell lousy jokes and otherwise filing the blank time between runs, or instead we can try to find something that's a little bit worthwhile to let you know you're listening to our program - when there's no "real" audio being sent down the wire.  What would you prefer, or should we first bother with trying to make sure what we do send is reliable and easy enough to link up to?

I thought so. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:21:23 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
We had the inane announcers at SpeedWeek -- I never lasted more than 3 or 4 minutes.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records