Author Topic: I'd like to break the Hovercraft land speed record!  (Read 8992 times)

Offline BIGRACING

• New folks
    • Click here for some BIG Hovercraft Racing
I'd like to break the Hovercraft land speed record!
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:01 PM »
Hi folks, my name is Raoul and I could use some advice.

I have been involved with hovercraft racing for over 12 years, and I would like to achieve the fastest recorded speed on land by a hovercraft.

At this point, the highest Guinness World record speed is listed at 56.25mph, set by John Alford (USA) at the Bonneville Salt Flats on 21 Sep 1998.
With my specially designed 1000cc Yamaha R1 powered racing Hovercraft, I’ve the full intent to easily exceed this set record speed.

Anyone know an official event at Bonneville that I would be allowed to participate in with a Hovercraft? (Already tried the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association, they won't let me.  They say there are not familiar with them, and apparently they don't want to learn about them either?)

Anyone know of anyone who recognizes a competition class for a non-wheeled air-cushion/Hovercraft vehicles? 

I would appreciate any advise you guy's and gal's might have!  Like the right person to talk to, or the name of the organization holding an officially timed  event that would let me race?  What the registration costs might be, and so on?

Thanks in advance, BigRacing Raoul.
...hey, hold my beer, watch this!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: I'd like to break the Hovercraft land speed record!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
Raoul, I'm thinking a boat sanction organization is going to be your best bet. 

Possibly the Texas Mile - seems they let you run just about anything.

Other than that, perhaps a speeding ticket on a public highway in excess of the Guinness record might be substantial enough to get you in the book, and speeding tickets are usually cheaper than entry fees.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DallasV

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
Have you thought about your local drag strip?
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Try Mike Cook at the Top Speed Shootout.  It's held in September starting immediately after World of Speed.  There's a link to the site on the home page of this website.  I don't think it'll be inexpensive - at all - but he's timed a riding lawnmower and a 200mph snow mobile.  Why not a hovercraft?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
I think Hovercraft are awesome, and I'd love to see you do it, but isn't a Hovercraft technically an aircraft?

Also, these guys are apparently going after the separate land and water Hovercraft records, so you have some company:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/03/19/supercraft-aiming-to-set-hovercraft-speed-records

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
Hovercraft are ground-effect machines. Aircraft fly outside of ground-effect except upon landing.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
Gee Raoul. If you wanted to set a hovercraft record over water you're about a year too late.  :roll:  I must admit, when I saw the title to this I was going to suggest you look for a site like "howmanygherkinpicklescanistuffupmynoseinthirtyminutes.com but you asked some reasonable questions so I won't. That being said, I got nuthin". Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
El Mirage?  might be hard to time...
Stan, suggestions  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:01:34 AM »
It'd have to run in a blown class wouldn't it?? :-D
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:48 AM »
It'd have to run in a blown class wouldn't it?? :-D
  Sid.

By definition.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
my name is Raoul and I could use some advice.
Anyone know of anyone who recognizes a competition class for a non-wheeled air-cushion/Hovercraft vehicles? 
Like the right person to talk to, or the name of the organization holding an officially timed  event that would let me race?  What the registration costs might be, and so on?

The world hovercraft federation would seem to be the right body to work with www.world-hovercraft-federation.org Bob Rennick seems to be the US name. WHF have speed regulations in their website download section.

Not sure that a record on land is going to impress the world, when the fastest speed acknowledged by Guinness for a hovercraft  through a kilometre is by Bob Windt at 85.38 mph over water set in 1995.

I agree with others, that if you pay the 'Shootout' costs that would be the best organised event.  If you can find time between the 500 mph cars and 400 mph motorcycles.  Otherwise you may have to make a private attempt - this has been done by individuals in the past at Bonneville.

If you were in the UK then the Coniston Speed Records week would be the event, but the lake byelaws do seek contenders to be UIM/RYA (ie boating) competitors and the Guinness organisation does not count.

Good luck.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 12:10:46 PM »
Call me at 253-228-0380, I have an idea for you..........Ed
Ed

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
You have been racing hovercraft for 12 years and you don't know of the WHF? WTF?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline POPS

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:24 PM »
DW,
LMAO. DOES THE WHF HAVE A IMPOUND?
POPS

Offline BIGRACING

• New folks
    • Click here for some BIG Hovercraft Racing
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 02:21:19 AM »
Thanks for all the advice folks.  These are all great ideas.

Yes, I do know the WHF, I participated in two Hovercraft World Championships, in 2002 and 2004.  The World Hovercraft Federation, in conjunction with the Hoverclub of America, had a Speed record attempt in 2004, but the weather conditions were bad.

And yes, Bob Rennick and Bob Windt are a very good friends of mine. Bob R. pretty much wrote the technical rule book for Hovercrafts, and Bob W. is honorably referred to as the "Grandfather of Hover-crafting".

Unfortunately, the local drag-strip isn't long enough, as it takes a bit of time and distance to pickup speed; and even more to slow down.  Also, I believe for an official record it has to be timed over a measured mile in both directions.
The ice around here works great in the winter time, (see video link below.)  I have exceeded the current record speed many times, but over long distances the frozen lakes have their hazards as well.

Yes, I'm trying to achieve is an officially timed Land Speed record.  I know it's not much, and I also know of faster hovercrafts out there, but I wouldn't mind getting my name in the paper, at least for a short while?  The main point is to bring a bit more awareness to Hovercraft Racing.  I don't now about your racing class, but Hovercraft racers have been drastically declining over the past few years.  Mostly, I'd like to see more younger people get interested into this type of sport.

Forget the Mercier-Jones people, that's an other Moller scam.

I'll try to contact Mike Cook for the Top Speed Shootout.  That sound's interesting!

Ed, I'll call you tomorrow.

For now, enjoy some of these videos:  http://www.youtube.com/bigracing/

Thanks, BigRacing Raoul.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:38:27 AM by BIGRACING »
...hey, hold my beer, watch this!