Author Topic: Vintage Engine Approved Crank Triggered Ignitions  (Read 10439 times)

Offline xxobuick

Re: Vintage Engine Approved Crank Triggered Ignitions
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »
Running a hall sensor, with a amplifier such as a HEI module I believe to be accepted?  There is no processor according to Google, and my research, but I can be mistaken.  I am purely coming here for advice from others, not to undermine any official, just that the officials did not recommend any approved system.

See, now you're really digging into making an ignition system.  Everyone else has used an off the shelf computerized ignition system that they don't even understand how it works nor do they comprehend that it's a computer and it sounded like you were venturing down the same trail with your topic title.  I apologize for being so brash with my first reply but I'm honestly disgusted with the state of the vintage engine category and disgusted with those who continue to push for these very un-vintage systems to be allowed.

What you're suggesting with the sensor and HEI module would seem to be legal IMO.  The sensor triggers the HEI and the HEI triggers the coil.  Super simple.  But how are you going to make that work?  Eight sensors to fire eight coils?  Or perhaps pair them up and run waste spark?  The only thing you're really gaining by triggering the ignition off of the crank is more accurate ignition control.  This would really only be beneficial if your current ignition system is already inaccurate and you're getting inconsistent timing between cylinders.  Now, going with individual coils will benefit you in that you can run more dwell and get more spark energy out of the coil because you're only having to charge and discharge the coil once (for sequential ignition) or twice (for waste spark) per cycle instead of 8 times like with a distributor.  But you can make up for the loss in coil energy output at high rpm with a distributor by using a CDI.  A CDI system doesn't really "dwell" the coils any real considerable period of time.  It simply blasts the coil primary with 500v for a very short period (1-2 milliseconds) giving you a fairly intense spark output.  CDI ignitions were the answer for high rev'ing V8's in the 70's that ran out of ignition juice with regular inductive ignition systems.  Sorry for the history lesson.  It's stuff you probably already know but it's worth mentioning since you're talking about piecing something together.

I'd be interested in hearing what you have in mind and how you plan to implement it.  And back to the officials not recommending an ignition system, do you think those old farts know what a hall sensor is or how an HEI module works?  They're still using mags with points in them.  I'm surprised they know how to turn on a computer and send an email.  I'm being facetious but in all seriousness, they're not ignition experts and they probably couldn't tell you what kind of crank trigger ignition is okay to use but if you wanted to know if a particular Harmins and Collins mag was okay I'm sure they'd have an answer for you.

My Idea is to run 4 VR or Hall Sensors, positioned at 90 degree intervals, and run a wasted spark coil system with 4 old school Mopar, or gm HEI modules, etc.  Have them on a slider to adjust full timing.  Yes there will be no curve to that system, but a lot of mags (including the one we ran last year) are locked advance anyways.  We usually just get the motor spinning, then hit the mag, and usually works pretty well.  Even at 38 deg timing!

I agree that vintage should be vintage.  I also do not agree how a 7,000 dollar race pack can be allowed, or the 44 amp mags people run, as both of these were never around in the 50's.  It should be a POINTS ONLY breaker in vintage. The problem is, what do you do with all of the people that have records with Crank Computer Ignitions???? 

Your right I was stating the "as long as the ignition doesn't respond to other inputs"  theory based solely on what I have been told and no where has the rule book ever stated this.  But then again, I am a newbie at this and all I know is what I read and what is told to me.  That is why I ask here, and to officials, on what is the accepted measures.  Not trying to spread rumor knowledge, just trying to gather what is right or wrong.

BTW where I got the crank triggers were used in the 40's and 50's was from an official as I never knew they were being used back then.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »
Nick, first I want to say I'm not on either side of this issue, believe me, I was asked for an opinion during a board meeting a year or so ago. But to say the officials volunteers during tech know everything about every class is silly. If the inspector see's something that he thinks is wrong he is asked to point it out to the competitor. Other wise he just follows the inspection form everyone gets before tech. This form is on the SCTA web site.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
Allow me to shed a little light on this subject. In impound we followed the "any ignition" rule when certifying a vintage engine. This statement has been argued for years
as pointed out by Nathan. JD can comment on our discussions that started when Don Monaco showed up with a coil on plug system on his flathead powered roadster. Just a few(3?) years ago this item was discussed/cussed at board meetings and events.

I think I have created somewhat of a fix. Mike Stewart and Mike Spacek created a V4/V4F manual that details the allowable modifications to these engines. A couple of years ago I spoke with Mike Stewart in impound(he is one of the staff) and agreed that he and Mike Spacek would be responsible to certify vintage engines for records. The impound staff will certify the body and gasoline before handing the cert card to them for engine verification.

Worked well at the salt last year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline A-Man

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »
So what about Streamliners running Flatheads 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
Vintage engine restrictions are listed immediately after:

2.A.1...."using Vintage bodies..."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Remember that the classes are broken into Categories and classes within those Categories. What is a rule in Vintage Category does not necessarily transfer directly to Special Construction Category.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 03:15:16 PM »
My Idea is to run 4 VR or Hall Sensors, positioned at 90 degree intervals, and run a wasted spark coil system with 4 old school Mopar, or gm HEI modules, etc.  Have them on a slider to adjust full timing.  Yes there will be no curve to that system, but a lot of mags (including the one we ran last year) are locked advance anyways.  We usually just get the motor spinning, then hit the mag, and usually works pretty well.  Even at 38 deg timing!

Sounds like a good plan to me.

I agree that vintage should be vintage.  I also do not agree how a 7,000 dollar race pack can be allowed, or the 44 amp mags people run, as both of these were never around in the 50's.  It should be a POINTS ONLY breaker in vintage. The problem is, what do you do with all of the people that have records with Crank Computer Ignitions???? 

Some people think vintage should be vintage and take it to extremes and say that everything down to the gauges you use be vintage.  Then there are those that think you should be able to use EFI.  So there are two ends to the spectrum.  I personally don't see anything wrong with any kind of logging system as they offer no direct performance advantage to the operation of the engine.  They just collect data.  And I've personally yet to see someone running vintage show up with a 44 amp top fuel mag yet but I get what you're saying.  I've honestly been pushing for something should hopefully work for everyone.  While saying points ignitions only is obviously very vintage, I think it's acceptable to allow CDI and HEI ignition which aren't truly vintage as they didn't exist until the 70's or so, they aren't as modern as a fully computer controlled ignition like an Electromotive.  What do you do about the records set by people using computers?  Nothing.  You let them be.  I don't think anyone has set a record so high using a computer controlled system that it couldn't be overtaken by someone using a vintage style ignition.  Case in point, Richard Reed took 3 of the Montana Boys records at Speed Week last year using an old Wico mag.  The point of limiting things to older technology IMO is to keep things vintage.

BTW where I got the crank triggers were used in the 40's and 50's was from an official as I never knew they were being used back then.

I understood where you got that from but I've discussed the usage of crank trigger ignitions on cars used at the lakes with my dad numerous times and we're both in agreement that they were not used however there's the likelihood that the technology to run a crank trigger ignition did exist back then in some form.  The rules have kind of followed the idea to try and use what was commonly used on the lakes and not just what was available anywhere in the world.  Perhaps he didn't fully communicate in his email what he was trying imply.

Are the committee reps supposed to be ignition experts and know everything about crank trigger ignitions and what Mallory, MSD, Accel, etc etc etc makes and what's legal and what's not??

Nathan, I chopped out the rest of your reply because this stuck out to me... If I had to answer this question, my response would be YES! It should be expected that the official knows, at minimum, what is legal and what is not.

You didn't answer my question.  Are the committee reps supposed to be ignition experts?  You said they're supposed to know what's legal and what's not.  They do know what's legal and what's not.  Ignitions that are computers and illegal and ignitions that aren't computer controlled are not.  That is known.   

I know you guys are new at this so maybe you don't know this yet but in the inspectors world, we take a very hands off approach to competitor vehicles.  It's not the inspectors job to tell the competitor how to build their car.  It's simply their job to make sure that the competitor is compliant with the rules.  The same thing applies to any other official.  It's not the officials job to tell you what kind of parts you should use.  If you want to know if brand x of ignition system is okay to use then I'm sure they could review how brand x ignition works and determine if it's okay or not.  That's a question that'll actually get you an answer.  Asking what ignition you should use to guarantee that you won't get protested is not.  Similarly, asking an official what kind of tires to use, what fire extinguisher brand to use, and what fire suit brand to use won't get answered.  That's not how it works.  It's your responsibility to use parts that meet the rule requirement and it's the official job to see that they are, not tell you how to do it.  Speed rated racing tires, check.  10lbs of extinguisher agent, check.  SFI -20 fire suit, check.  Not, oh yeah go buy some Mickey's, use FireFox and buy a Deist suit.  That's not how it works.     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
 :cheers:

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
.... I've honestly been pushing for something should hopefully work for everyone.  While saying points ignitions only is obviously very vintage, I think it's acceptable to allow CDI and HEI ignition which aren't truly vintage as they didn't exist until the 70's or so, they aren't as modern as a fully computer controlled ignition like an Electromotive. ....

Great post, but then you seem to draw a line of your own thinking with the comments on CDI and HEI ignition.  Not saying they should or shouldn't be allowed but I could see where some might even say those are not in the spirit of vintage.

Has the idea of a cutoff date in technology as far as ignition goes been considered?  Say you can document what you are using was used before the cutoff date then it is good to go?

Sum

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 11:17:11 PM »
Hard to do when the rule book states "any ignition". Gotta fix that first.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
Nathan --

You're too freakin' reasonable.

My only thought on all this (and, as you know, I'm one hell of an engine builder) is to have the right lead all in about the one, and floor it thru the five.

(Bob -- you should consider this.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records