Author Topic: Driver Needed for Speed Week  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Carl Fausett

• New folks
    • 928 Motorsports, LLC
Driver Needed for Speed Week
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:33:22 PM »
My team is looking for an experienced Coupe or Sedan driver to drive for us at Speed Week this season.
An illness in my family prevents me from driving the car myself, and it kills me not to drive, but by damn it, the car can run.

It is a supercharged Porsche 928 (930 BHP) with a 5-speed manual trans. Details of the car can be seen here:
http://www.928motorsports.com/928_land_speed.php

This car has already raced at World of Speed twice, and topped out at 216.63537 MPH with wheelspin at 5800 rpm.
Redline is 7000, but we had no traction. So we went back to the wind tunnel, lowered our Cd, added ballast, and she's ready-to-go.
My engineers tell me terminal velocity will be 245 to 255 MPH depending on conditions.

I'm looking for a driver who has already driven a coupe or sedan at 250 MPH and has a current Bonneville License.
I only ask you to pay your own expenses and drivers registration.  I am registering the car and the team, and covering all of the
team's expenses.  You must have your own fire-suit, helmet, gloves and shoes. You can use my HANS device or provide your own.

There's lot to discuss, but lets start the process. Serious inquiries only. I will be asking for your racing resume'.

Thank you

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Driver Needed for Speed Week
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
PM Pork Pie. He did an outstanding job driving our Lakester car #1000. Got himself into the 2 club :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Carl Fausett

• New folks
    • 928 Motorsports, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the lead. I will PM him.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
Carl - do you know Burton Brown?  He's up around Green Bay.

I don't know if Brown is bringing the streamliner again this year, but he's pushed his F/GT 240Z to 172 and change.  I don't know if he's driven a coupe as fast as you hope to go, but he's right up the road from you.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Carl Fausett

• New folks
    • 928 Motorsports, LLC
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
Excellent. I do not know him, but will try to look him up. If you have a link or an email for him let me know.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:17:33 AM »
Pick me, pick me. :-D

I can drive a little.

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:57 AM »
Carl, I'm real sorry to hear what is keeping you from being in the seat. It is a real cool deal your putting out there for somebody. Best of luck with family first and the car second.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 04:48:33 AM »
PM Pork Pie. He did an outstanding job driving our Lakester car #1000. Got himself into the 2 club :-D

LOL

JohnBoy,

thanks for this honor......but you think not that there is different between a lakester with a little engine and big door slammer with 930 hp.....

I wouldn't call me an experience driver....maybe I drove the Bockscar close to the limit (my feeling is that there is much more speed in as I pressed out of the Bockscar)....but the Bockscar is a lakester which is easy to drive with so less hp....have no idea how the Bockscar handles with the Hayabusa turbo engine.....

I know this Porsche....I saw him running and done some picture....with 930 hp this car is a beast and need a proper hand to go to the possible limit....from original design a 928 is a lifter...needs a lot of down force or weight....if all is right this car can be very fast.....

The car is a excellent built and prepared...from this point it is a racer you can sit in and run....and have fun....if the course condition is right...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
.....This car has already raced at World of Speed twice, and topped out at 216.63537 MPH with wheelspin at 5800 rpm.
Redline is 7000, but we had no traction. So we went back to the wind tunnel, lowered our Cd, added ballast, and she's ready-to-go.
My engineers tell me terminal velocity will be 245 to 255 MPH depending on conditions....

Very nice car.  What is your weight bias now front/rear (I see the total is 4675)?  What is your Cd and frontal area?  CG/CP?  With those and the "HP needed for A Lakester or Car to Run a Certain MPH" spreadsheets here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

.....you could get a good idea of how 245-255 will go traction wise.  HP wise I think you have it covered  :-).

Have you considered more cage around the driver?

The best to you and your current family situation.  Hope that improves and Pork Pie you are a wise man,

Sum

Offline DallasV

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:25:31 AM »
I'd take a stab at that. Looks like fun
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
Looks like a well built machine, sorry to hear you won't be saddling your own horse.  Will there be opportunities for the surrogate to get seat time in the car before speed week?  It's coming up quickly!

Kix
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:54:27 AM by Kix »
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Why the heck would you need seat time to figure out how to drive it?  Wouldn't the new driver just sit down, belt in, and STAND ON IT!!?? :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »
Maybe!. It's not a porch. :lol:

Offline Carl Fausett

• New folks
    • 928 Motorsports, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:43:48 AM »
The car as-raced for Bonneville is now 6000 lbs.

Since I had wheelspin  at 216 MPH at only 5800 rpm, we have increased thew rear spolier and added another 600 lbs of ballast directly over the rear tires. We also lowered our Cd a significant amount - so this is how we come to feel the drag will be less, the traction will be more, and our speeds will be higher.

The hard part about a sports car on the salt is the wheelbase. The 928 has a wheelbase of 2500mm or 98.43 inches. Great for cornering. Not so great for going straight! So things happen pretty fast when the vehicle gets some angle in it.

See this video of me catching a cross-wind in 2011 at 213 MPH... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGMxKHtkMU
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:10:48 PM by Carl Fausett »

Offline DallasV

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 11:51:15 AM »
The car as-raced for Bonneville is now 6000 lbs.

Since I had wheelspin  at 216 MPH at only 5800 rpm, we have increased thew rear spolier and added another 600 lbs of ballast directly over the rear tires. We also lowered our Cd a significant amount - so this is how we come to feel the drag will be less, the traction will be more, and our speeds will be higher.

The hard part about a sports car on the salt is the wheelbase. The 928 has a wheelbase of 2500mm or 98.43 inches. Great for cornering. Not so great for going straight! So things happen pretty fast when the vehicle gets some angle in it.

See this video of me catching a cross-wind in 2012 at 213 MPH... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGMxKHtkMU

Short wheelbase, big horses?? you're making is sound like more fun with each post.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.