Author Topic: Competition Coupe Questions  (Read 2929 times)

Offline xxobuick

Competition Coupe Questions
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
Hello All,

We are considering running in VGCC and GCC this year.  We run a 36 buick coupe that has bolt on front fenders, running boards and rear fenders.  For the GCC and VGCC classes I know that you can have skirting going all the way back down the car, a belly pan and a nose.  We will be wanting to un bolt the front fenders and un bolt the running boards.  IS this legal?  Also we are contemplating trying the car with unbolting the rear fenders since they are bolt on.  IS this also legal?  If we leave the rear fenders on can we put fender skirts on the rear fenders to cover the rear wheels?

Here is another car of the same car without the fenders or running boards but with the bolt on rear fenders still attached for reference. 

Offline dw230

Re: Competition Coupe Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
Send an email to Doug Robinson, info in section 16 of the rule book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
Over the years I ran my 40 Chevrolet Coupe in Vintage Gas coupe, Vintage Altered and Fuel coupe, and Vintage Gas Comp coupe meeting the rules each time. Listed below are the configuration. It had a GMC for power. I hope this helps.

Gas Coupe..All stock body including running boards, head lights and fender mounter parking lights, bumpers and rearlicense plate and mount.

Altered and Fuel Coupe..Running boards removed, head and parking lights removed. grille covered, bumpers
removed, license removed. (not practicable to remove front or rear fenders on this style car even tho legal)

Comp Coupe... All above plus a fiberglass bumper/nose extending the front by 18". (easier than a belly pan or a greater than 25% engine set back)

I set and held records at Bonneville in each of the classes listed above. The car was a true vintage gas coupe and still is; however with the changes I was able to run in the above vintage classes legally.                                                        
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
I'm sure you saw comp coupes at Bonneville last year. The '32 Ford pictured to the left was built and ran as an Altered coupe. But as I mentioned, with a pointed nose on it, it was a legal CC and ran as such. I don't see why anything you want to do would cause any difficulty.