Author Topic: Altered Class with Pre 82 bodies  (Read 33359 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Altered Class with Pre 82 bodies
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
Pretty simple when you have read the rule book for 50 years. It breaks down to this: 6 categories, classes within these categories. Rules pretend to categories first, class rules second.

Lowest primary class(if available) - if you have a '32 coupe with a XX vintage engine you must run in the Vintage CATEGORY classes. As Buddy states, add modern engine management you are out of the Vintage CATEGORY into the Modified CATEGORY. The body year breaks define the Classic CATEGORY or the Modified CATEGORY.

Best place to find where your combination falls is to look at the last line in every body class. It tells you which engine classes are allowed. If you have trouble with this look in the record section. If a record exists it will be listed.

DW

BTW, there are no Comp Coupe classes in the Classic CATEGORY. This was done because at the time Classic was established the voting board was reluctant to add a whole crap load of classes. There have been 6 engine breaks added since the category inception.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
Ok, it all makes sense now. 

Vintage engine in A vintage body class requires no turbos, no engine management, etc.

A vintage engine in a vintage body in a modified class, IE Altered, Competition Coupe or Gas Coupe with and X or XX engine running EFI, TURBOS, etc, is allowed. 

Am I correct?

So If I want to bounce between Competition Coupe XX or Vintage Gas Competition coupe switching between carbed or EFI will do this class change correct?

Offline dw230

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 03:18:53 PM »
Sure.

Did you check records?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
[quote author=xxobuick link=topic=13943.msg251821#msg251821 date=1401217930

So If I want to bounce between Competition Coupe XX or Vintage Gas Competition coupe switching between carbed or EFI will do this class change correct?
[/quote]

Yes, but engine management is far simpler-we run a straight mag in Vintage, then add engine management to get to Modified comp coupe.

I'm with Dan-have you checked the records?

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:38:01 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
Competition coupe X0 is 166

Vintage competition coupe is 158

Where gonna have an extended nose to try this year so well try those two records.

We have a small motor right now, and a stock and speacialty head to switch between x0 and xx0

Offline dw230

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 03:59:15 PM »
Why not jump between XXO/VFCC and XXO/VGCC? You won't have to do an engine management change.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
That is also an option for us to consider. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
On re(un)thinking my thoughts on the manual spark (and throttle) controls on a Model A, it occurred to me that those would only be legal in V4F/Production.  Unfortunately, the SCTA doesn't (yet) have this class.  Time will tell.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
That is also an option for us to consider. 

....and as Dan has pointed out has lower records  :-),

Sum

Offline MrEracer

• New folks
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
The #6969 Gas Coupe you are looking at happens to house a twin turbo, late model Hemi with EFI. This combination makes the car not legal for Classic Category.

DW

Is this statement true?  I have plans to run a NA, EFI, LSX engine in an '80 Pontiac Sunbird (Monza clone) and I am hoping to run it in a Classic Altered class.  Am I in trouble here?  Please forgive the rookie question, I do not have my rule book yet.

SD
Shirl Dickey
Veteran, U.S. Army Airborne, '61-'64
Retired Aerospace Engineer, BSME, UofU, 1970
Circle boat racer, '68-'82 and '10 to present (SK and Comp Jet)
Dirt Bike racer, '66-'84 (MotoX and Desert, big bore)
Aircraft racer, '83-'05 (Varieze and E-Racer)
Road race driver/instructor, '02-'12 (C5 Corvette, 600 hp)
Future LSR racer ('80 Sunbird, potential Altered Class)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
The statement in the quote you referenced is correct.
You cannot run in any Classic Class with aftermarket EFI.

The #6969 Gas Coupe you are looking at happens to house a twin turbo, late model Hemi with EFI. This combination makes the car not legal for Classic Category.

DW

Is this statement true?  I have plans to run a NA, EFI, LSX engine in an '80 Pontiac Sunbird (Monza clone) and I am hoping to run it in a Classic Altered class.  Am I in trouble here?  Please forgive the rookie question, I do not have my rule book yet.

SD
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline RichFox

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
But you can run OEM EFI. I don't know about re-flashing the computer and going to bigger nozzles. I would think not.

Offline jlmccuan

• Rabid Snail Racing
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
OEM to the engine or to the body?  I always assumed it was to the body.  Are you saying I can run another maker's OEM EFI in my Studebaker powered Studebaker?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:21:28 PM by jlmccuan »
Rabid Snail Racing

Offline RichFox

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
Once again, What do I know? But as i remember, when this rule was proposed it ment you could run OEM EFI with the engine it came on. So, NO to EFI on the Stude. At the time a Buick V6 with factory EFI was the example of something you could run. I think it was the only EFI anybody would want to use at that time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:49:23 PM by RichFox »

Offline MrEracer

• New folks
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
Okay, I am running an OEM EFI computer and injection system, but I'm not swapping a stock engine into an altered coupe.  It's an 'A' stroker LS engine, 454 cid, and there is no way to run something like that with stock injectors and factory tune.  If I can't run injectors appropriate for the power (700 hp) and the tune to go with it I will be rethinking my interest in LSR.  That's like saying you have to run the stock carb and jetting in your carb'd, stroker 'A' engine...
SD
Shirl Dickey
Veteran, U.S. Army Airborne, '61-'64
Retired Aerospace Engineer, BSME, UofU, 1970
Circle boat racer, '68-'82 and '10 to present (SK and Comp Jet)
Dirt Bike racer, '66-'84 (MotoX and Desert, big bore)
Aircraft racer, '83-'05 (Varieze and E-Racer)
Road race driver/instructor, '02-'12 (C5 Corvette, 600 hp)
Future LSR racer ('80 Sunbird, potential Altered Class)