Author Topic: Welding Truck Disaster  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Freud

Welding Truck Disaster
« on: May 18, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »

We have wondered what would happen if the oxygen and acetylene welding gas delivery truck had an accident in front of us. View the video below for what actually happens. It’s spectacular … and just when you think it’s all over .. BANG!!

So the next time one passes you on the road give him lots of room

www.youtube.com/embed/FG1LGKieTxY?rel=0
Since '63

Offline salt27

Re: Welding Truck Disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:30:41 PM »
Apparently the driver had some place to be, he just kept on running.   :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
A good friend of mine, Bill Alexander, used to work for the Brookfield fire department, just west of Milwaukee.  They received a call about an acetylene tank fire - leaky valve - somehow a spark set it off.

They got it doused, but he's still convinced that it's as close to death as he ever came on the force.

This video is just frightening, but given the situation, letting it burn itself out was the smart decision. 

The dumb decision was to stand there and film it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:26:02 AM »
I really didn't wanta do it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline tauruck

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
Buickguy sent me that link a few weeks ago.

That driver was nuts or his brakes failed.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:35:12 AM »
A good friend of mine, Bill Alexander, used to work for the Brookfield fire department, just west of Milwaukee.  They received a call about an acetylene tank fire - leaky valve - somehow a spark set it off.

They got it doused, but he's still convinced that it's as close to death as he ever came on the force.

Your friend wasn't in serious danger. the fire would have just burned until it ran out of fuel. Unless you could inject oxygen into the cylinder the fire would remain as it was. A person with a heavy glove could probably have shut it off. Most people who have worked around acetylene a lot have seen similar things. The main thing is to keep your wits about you and do what's necessary to shut the source of fuel down. If the valve is leaky move the cylinder outside so that it vents harmlessly to the atmosphere.

The reason for the explosions on the truck was the intense fire heating all the cylinders. I imagine some of the brass valves on cylinders other than acetylene melted and at that point the high pressure gas cylinders become rockets. The major explosions were probably overheated acetylene cylinders. The intensity of the fire would heat the cylinders way too quickly to allow any of the safety provisions built into the cylinders to do their job.

If you're ever in a situation where there is a fire around the valve or gauge on a fuel cylinder the best thing to do is shut off the fuel source or snuff the flame and then shut off the fuel source. If the leak can't be stopped move the cylinder outside to vent and call the gas supplier. If you cut through the hoses shut off the fuel gas and then the oxygen.

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »

He was probably texting or on the phone.  :roll: :roll: :evil:

Pete

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:08 AM »

He was probably texting or on the phone.  :roll: :roll: :evil:

Pete

If you watch carefully the bus he rear ended changed lanes and was slowing, possibly through a lack of power.
Because of the other commercial highway truck in the curb lane there was no place for the bus to go and I believe the driver of the truck with the cylinders was not paying attention till it was to late.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 03:41:46 AM »
Peter Jack's comment sounds logical. Looking at the lettering on the police car, this appears to be Russia where they have these vehicle cameras running all the time. Also, considering the location, I'll wager they were transporting these cylinders without the metal safety caps. Melted brass shutoff valves and sheared off valves likely made a rather mundane traffic incident an entertaining spectacle. You always transport your welding tanks with the safety caps installed, right?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast