Author Topic: Anti-seize... Does it work?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Anti-seize... Does it work?
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Curious if anyone has an opinion on using anti-seize for fasteners on a land speed car that will see duty on the salt flats only. I'd love to hear any pros or cons. Thanks!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Freud

Re: Anti-seize... Does it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:32:13 PM »
Threads and fasteners need every protection possible when exposed to the salt.

It will continue to amaze you when even stainless bolts are removed and resist turning.

Lube them up......always.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
If the bolts are stainless steel, you will need anti-seize to keep from galling the threads. If not stainless, I use little clear silicone on the threads and on the shank if it's a long bolt through a housing, etc. It seals the moisture out, no moisture, no rust or corrosion.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
I'd use anti-sieze on all bolts that are exposed to salt.

I use Never-Seez Pure Nickel Special-- simply because I have a can of it. You might try the Marine Grade Never-Seez since it is touted to be especially effective in a saltwater environment.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »
We only use it on the fasteners we think we may want to remove in the future :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
We only use it on the fasteners we think we may want to remove in the future :roll:
 :cheers:

Good advice, I wrote that one down ;)

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
Some people can afford to do them all.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
It isn't expensive, if that's what you mean. You only need a little; slathering it on the threads only makes a mess and wastes anti-seize. If you meant time...you're right, it is a chore and it takes time. Using the brush applicator that is in the Never-Seez can lid works well. I think the can is the only way they provide a brush. A small acid brush works just as well, though.

Taking an exhaust system apart that was not assembled with bolts & nuts coated with anti-seize is a real PITA, too.

Offline salt27

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 09:06:35 PM »
I have found that by just looking at an anti-seize container It will be on every thing I touch the next two days.   :-P

Don

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
The Vesco liners use a lot of anti seize, better safe then sorry.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
  ...and it is simple to apply.  Simply start by putting a dab in each armpit, a smear up the insides of your arms, and a little on the living room couch cuz it will soon be in all those places and many more in short order..............
 It is great on spark plugs, exhaust manifold bolts. lug nuts and anything you might want to ever get back off of your truck and trailer post Bville, and  in this or your next lifetime.
  On stainless steel hardware I use a product called Krytox which is made by Dupont.  It is what we used in Clean Rooms in the High Tech Industry (think Intel) and will not allow galling or off-gassing (so Stainless Steele probably can't use it !).  It looks like Crisco and will allow you to reuse stainless nuts and bolts infinitely.  It also wipes right off your hands with a paper towel or your blue jeans if you are like me.
                                                                                               One Run
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
I'm leery of Crisco ever since someone recommended it to seal the .44 cal balls in the cylinders of my black powder Colt reproduction revolver. The first few times it worked just fine, the next time I fired the first round after reloading it again, I pulled the trigger and there was a BLAM and the barrel flew 10 yards downrange. The Crisco hadn't sealed the cylinders well enough and all six chambers went off at once. The old Colts used a tapered pin to secure the barrel & loading lever to the frame; one ball clipped the pin on the way out and disassembled the darned thing. No harm was done but I've never used Crisco again.  :x

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »
Bob & Don;

Yes it can get on everything-- no argument there. Anti-seize is bad but molybdenum disulfide paste is worse.

Back when I used to work for NRAO in Green Bank, WV, I convinced the telescope mechanics to try the new extreme pressure lubricant that Dow Corning had just introduced. It was very good stuff and I was rather proud of myself for having discovered such a useful product. It wasn't long before a tarnish befell my reputation-- someone (not me) left a big tube of Molykote lying on the floor of an elevator used to service the 140 foot telescope and during the night someone (not me) stepped on it. There were black footprints all over the observatory.  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:51 PM »
Do the guys that run at ElMo take the same precautions?.

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
as a maritime engineer , we would be sunk without it.  i use to order cases of the bigger cans.  building aluminum yachts lately , we been using tef-gel.   ptfe paste. i think it would do fine at bville.  much easier to clean off your hands too.