Author Topic: Gender-specific records? Not a good idea, in my opinion  (Read 5701 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: Gender-specific records? Not a good idea, in my opinion
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
From the article at draglist.com by Ky Michaelson:

"Kitty O'Neil drove this same car on the Mojave Desert to a speed of over 400 mph in the quarter mile. She backed it up with a 396 MPH, 3.22 ET pass. This run was also the quickest quarter mile run in history.
We had all kinds of problems with clocks that day. The same people who time the International runs at Bonneville were there with their old timing equipment. We also had a set of Chrondek clocks. Their old clocks were hit and miss. Sometimes they would catch a time and some time they would not. The person who wrote a newspaper article that mentioned a 3.72-second ET for Kitty was a little confused. We had the lights set up to get the ET at the quarter mile mark. The other set were the speed trap lights at the 500-meter mark. Before the end of the day, we wanted an all out run. If I remember right, the speed traps were measured between 120 feet. The interesting part was when we slowed the car down, their lights worked every time. In the three days we were there, we made 13 runs. The lowest ET was 3.22 before Kitty bent up the car."

No clarification on the date.