Author Topic: Question about Streamlining definition  (Read 5527 times)

Offline metermatch

Question about Streamlining definition
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »
Question about streamlining:

I have a car that will run in Production, Gas Coupe, and Altered.

I have been reading the definition of streamlining, with regard to:

4.CC   ”Any device which has the apparent purpose of directing, limiting, or controlling air flow around or within the car and is not a part of the original body will be considered as streamlining”
The above definition goes on to give examples of obvious things like air dams, splitters, axle fairings, belly pans, skirts, and spoilers.

It is also my understanding that I cannot tape body seams or move the body panels to close up the seams.

I would like to know if the following things would be considered streamlining  (illegal in my proposed classes)

1)    Installing a rubber gasket to seal the hood to the radiator support, fenders, and possibly cowl
2)   Installing a rubber gasket around headlights and radiator.  Radiator opening area would not be blocked from stock.
3)   Plugging up holes/openings in the radiator support/fender areas that are common in a stock car, and some that were the result of car owner    modifications.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline jacksoni

Re: Question about Streamlining definition
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
In my opinion all of your 3 questions are legal and may be worth something. Gary Eaker, who owns the A2 (and the bigger one, I forget the name) wind tunnels in NC showed I think on Keith Turk's Camaro that taping the seams did virtually nothing. Besides being illegal in Production and GC, it doesn't work either. :roll: He does say that sealing the hood is worth something.

Going from /GC to /ALT can be easy and just putting fuel in a production car makes you /FALT but Production to /GC takes a bit more doing. I think most commonly that is accomplished with an engine swap. But just running spread port heads, for instance, on a SBC is illegal in production and would accomplish that goal. Many ways to skin the cat.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline metermatch

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 05:06:39 PM »
I had the improvement of the hood sealing in mind.  It just seemed questionable, after reading the definition.  Just trying to get any advantage, like everyone else, per the rules.

I also have a few holes in the engine compartment area that I would like to seal.

Holes in the firewall would be required to be sealed, so that is a non-issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline metermatch

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
The light bulb just came on about something you said - If I had a car that passed tech and ran in Production, if all I did was add a shot of nitrous, then I would be legal to run FALT (fuel altered coupe)?

Just trying to think of an easy way to run 2 classes at Bonneville in August.

Oops, I need to get off the computer and get my Bonneville pre-entry in by tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:55 PM »
I can't see any reason to jump from Production to Fuel Altered.  It costs hundreds to enter another class.  And for a first timer, taking a Production to Fuel Altered would be, to me, a waste of money.  Pretty hard to climb both those hills.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline metermatch

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
Not first timer.  Set record last August first time out, with a very sick engine.  Been drag racing for decades.

The reason for the additional class is to be able to run a second (or third) class with a minimum of work to make the changes to do so.

And the few hundred it costs to make a class change is chump change compared to the work and costs involved in making the trip to Bonneville.

Jeff

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
The light bulb just came on about something you said - If I had a car that passed tech and ran in Production, if all I did was add a shot of nitrous, then I would be legal to run FALT (fuel altered coupe)?

Just trying to think of an easy way to run 2 classes at Bonneville in August.

Oops, I need to get off the computer and get my Bonneville pre-entry in by tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeff
Yes, nitrous on a production car makes you Fuel Altered. then You can tape up the grille, headlights etc for added benefit. Not sure your class but taking C as a common example, records are only 6mph apart. Not an impossible jump.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:03:35 PM by jacksoni »
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »
This is my opinion only. The things done for "streamlining" are normally centered around the outside of a production vehicle. Sealing parts for airflow under the hood are "normally" not in the equation. Grilles and factory openings are scrutinized but I don't believe closing up holes or gaps in the radiator support system are considered. Under the car is considered and the use of a step pan in altered and fuel couple is definately an aero advantage.

For Gas Coupe make sure the engine swap or quick change rear is done. Not positive on engine swaps as I once was with all these "family" engines. Good luck.....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline metermatch

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
Car is "H" engine class.  Car currently holds production record of 153+, with an (unknown) sick engine, and no special prep work on the car.  I'm currently rebuilding the engine, adding dry sump, scraper, electric oil/scavenge pump, electric water pump, (minimizing parasitic drag), higher (11.7:1) compression, repairing dragging brakes, thinner oil, lowering, etc, etc.  I expect to push the "H" Production record to 160-165.  The Gas Coupe record is 146+ (which I hold with 3 of the 4 cylinders with blown head gasket and cam that spun 10 degrees retarded), The gas Altered record is 148+, and the fuel Altered record is 159+, and gas Competition Coupe record is 144+, and the fuel Competition Coupe record is 148+, so all records are within reach for my car right now, without aerodynamic aids.  It is just a case of how many I can get in August if the car holds together, as I may only have 3-4 days because of drag racing schedule.  I kind of need to see which I can modify my car for easily while at Bonneville, and go through class change.  I'm just one guy with an 81 year old helper.  After I baseline what the car can do, I can go after each record all out, such as I have a 200hp nitrous/NANO  kit for the fuel class.  Kind of dumb to blow the motor the first time out going for the fuel records, but once you own the record, let it rip!

That is why I am asking what quick (minimal) things I need to do to go to different classes while at Bonneville for right now.  I don't have the time right now to build every possible advantage accorded by the rules for each class.  It sounds like I can take my Production car, and by adding a removeable step pan made of 1/8" aluminum, and masking tape the headlights, run gas Altered, and then add a mild 35hp shot of nitrous (already installed) I can run fuel Altered.  If I have time to extend the removeable step pan to a full removeable belly pan, then I can do the same for gas/fuel Competition Coupe.  Does all of this sound right?

Jeff

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
You are a local, take the car to the lakes this week end and have the inspectors look at it and tell you what is go or no go.They are the SCTA officials , have them make notes in your LOG BOOK that way it is the answers you want.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline metermatch

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
Car is still in a bizzillion pieces right now.  I was hoping to make El Mirage in May, but no-go.

Jeff

Offline JR529

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:55 AM »
The gas Altered record is 148+

I'm the one who currently holds that H/GALT record at 148.146 MPH. Set it in 2004. It's pretty soft and I am surprised it has lasted this long. I had a Honda B16, sleeved down to 1,479cc in a 2001 Honda Civic. I screwed up the transmission and only had first, second and third gear. Wouldn't go into 4th or 5th. So my son ran around the pits on his bike and found a set of 27" front runners for sale. We replaced the 22" tires that were on the car, removed the rev limiter and just floored it in 3rd for 3 miles. Revved the Plymouth out of that poor motor and I still cant believe it didn't pitch a rod out the side.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:11:42 AM by JR529 »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
Meter. All sounds good....Gas Coupe / Production is the hard move. Actually not normally done at Bonneville in the same week. Either one to Altered/Fuel Coupe and Comp Coupe is the norm. Since it's where I started, once a gas coupe it's hard to go back to Prod especially after an engine change..... Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »
I remember a truck that was booted from Impound for a few items. One was a foam seal at the top of the radiator support that the hood pinched down when closed.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth