Author Topic: Don Garlits sets new world record...  (Read 11012 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Don Garlits sets new world record...
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »
  :cheers:   :cheers:

I'll have some!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline salt27

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
I`ll make the popcorn...Who wants butter?? :cheers:

I'll take it with a grain of salt.   :roll:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »
I`ll make the popcorn...Who wants butter?? :cheers:

I'll take it with a grain of salt.   :roll:
Just couldn`t wait for friday could you???
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline joea

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
"""We've been timed at the same venues, and I believe I've run faster, luckily, than your blown machine.  Could it be you want to change venues until you find one you can be successful at? """

Offline tauruck

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
Who can make popcorn the fastest??.

That's the guy I wanna meet!. :-D

Offline Duramax

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 01:56:41 AM »
"Sidebar – Since you know so much about drag racing, let's set a time and date.  I suck, so my wife will drive.  You run your Hot Rod Ford, she'll run you with a street legal pickup.  Rules?  Drive it to the track, drive it home.  Name the track.  She likes HRP, but it's your choice."

Never said I knew so much about drag racing.  But I know Ollie Morris in his Smokin' White Owl won some eliminator races at Santa Ana in the early 50s with a rear-engine dragster.  I personally won "X Eliminator" at Colton in 1958.  I beat an Willys station wagon and a go-kart which, fortunately for me, broke its chain.  I carried him back to the pits in my stock 1930 Model A pickup.

I've been hanging around LSR for a few years.  We don't race side by side.  My old licensed, unblown, mechanically-injected, gas Street Roadster has been set up for Bonneville and El Mirage.  I remember you tried both ventures as I did, and, although I don't remember the exact results, I do remember you unluckily broke a lot of parts and never reached your goals.  You quoted a figure once on what you spent for a week at SpeedWeek and it would cover my entire 12-year budget including the cost of the car.  I was fortunate over the years to set 5 Bonneville and 2 El Mirage records in one of the most-competitive classes.  I'm proud to be in the Bonneville 200 MPH Club.

Somehow you think I might want to race you.  You're wrong.  I don't want to race your wife, either.  We've been timed at the same venues, and I believe I've run faster, luckily, than your blown machine.  Could it be you want to change venues until you find one you can be successful at?

Dunno Jimmy,

Do you get timing slips for running out of bounds?  Guess it depends on who you are?

Luckily, I've driven my Elmo entry to and from the track.  So nobody would ever claim I'm not running Street. 

PS - screw the popcorn, looks like I'm having chicken, and you're having crow...  Afraid to race a pickup.  How sad.

:evil:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 09:59:31 AM »
Ok....One with butter, One with salt....Anyone else?? :roll:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline sabat

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 10:12:48 AM »
Didn't one of these folks flounce off this board a few weeks ago?

Offline Duramax

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
Didn't one of these folks flounce off this board a few weeks ago?

Yes! 

Uh...

What's a Flounce?  Fluid ounce?

As a family, we decided to discontinue efforts at running Bonneville, and sold or are selling/dicarding the specialty parts. 

That doesn't mean we are not racing, nor that we won't run maximum speed events, like Texas Mile or Mohave.  We've been racing for a long time, and it's now time to teach the kids.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on Subject:

82 year old legend of motorsports sets a record with electicity.  It apparently upsets some folk.  I'm thinking of the possible reasons:

1)  I'm an arse.
2)  The NHRA is not real racing.
3)  Electricity is not real racing.
4)  Garlits is stooge who's legend is urban myth.
5)  It's all a dumb publicity stunt.

I'm 99% sure the answer is #1 but to people reading who are thinking of getting into SCTA racing, they might not know I'm a jerk.  So they have to pick one of the last four "attitudes" by SCTA members towards Don's racing efforts. 

And what crazy attitudes they are.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
Don seemed to be a good old boy when he raced on the salt, racer to racer.... and struggled most of the week to go fast enough to get in the 2 Club.  Not sure what attitudes you might be referring to...
But then the scta and I don't always agree on everything.  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Duramax

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 07:28:32 PM »
Don seemed to be a good old boy when he raced on the salt, racer to racer.... and struggled most of the week to go fast enough to get in the 2 Club.  Not sure what attitudes you might be referring to...
But then the scta and I don't always agree on everything.  :cheers:

Good point.  I apologize to any members I offended.   :cheers:

I just can't figure out why any gearhead worth his salt (har) would rag on Garlit's new record. :?