Author Topic: "Breaking Barriers" LSR Documentary Tonight  (Read 13979 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: "Breaking Barriers" LSR Documentary Tonight
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
Yeah, I know...The sad thing is that it didn't used to be like this. No wonder fewer & fewer people are watching TV.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
Reality always conflicts with the media's version of events!  :x :-(
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Blue

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
What bothers me about this most is that aero of land vehicles is one area that only LSR and ultra-high efficiency vehicles really do well.  The Hennesey is a brick on wheels, and it is being presented as some fantastic example of modern car aerodynamics.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Take it off the pavement and put it on the salt and it would get beaten by LSR cars with a fraction of their HP.

Most people here know what I think of blunt tails, the Hennesey has a much fatter asz than we would ever want to see on the salt.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
Blue, how you tempt many of us here -- to make a comment about seeing a fat . . . on the salt.  I can think of a few of 'em that might be worth mentioning.  Discretion here will be appreciated, boys. :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

velocity

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »
Folks - this show was never intended to be an LSR program. As it was explained to me by the producer and director it was a chance to show how people approach mechanical challenges in a variety of motorsports segments. The idea was to show how a barrier could be broken with tenacity and hard work -- something every LSR team understands.

Instead of trying bad mouth the program, I chose to be part of it to foster a connection with the general public. It worked. The comments from dozens of people who are not involved with LSR were thrilled with the show and most all told me they came to understand why people want to break records at Bonneville (this last part because they know my affiliation) and many were inspired to find out more about LSR on line. They were not enamored with Mr. Hennesey as much as they were with the process.

My part was to not only comment on screen but make sure they did not honk-up the LSR history as film people often do. And yes, I am painfully aware of and saddened by the lack of Blue Flame data, there was no time, nor footage to get clearance for in time for the New York preview by the time I reviewed the director's cut. I opted instead to ensure that what WAS in the footage was accurate.

I am most pleased with the entire Bandito Brothers and Mediacom staff who exhibited nothing but professionalism and respect for motorsports and were quick to admit they knew nothing about. Every suggestion was fully vetted and all errors were corrected without complaint. I am particularly pleased with Frank Lockhart being incorporated into the show.

We want these people to come back, to revisit LSR and tell another story about breaking SALT barriers. They are wonderful storytellers!

As for the crabbing about the Venom -- he's the rub boys and girls. . . .where do super tuner people go for a record? 

FIA's Dennis Dean and I determined Hennessy would have to compete with George Poteet's Speed Demon. That will never happen with more than a 200MPH spread. I suggested the Sporting Committee open a dialogue to discuss where such cars might fit into the FIA record breaking matrix. Yes, these vehciles are special construction, but Venom and others like it, are street legal, so perhaps that might be the defining factor for a new class. This is ONLY talk. I AM NOT involved in any way with Hennessy and only met the guy and his wife in NYC after premiere. What I believe should be done is find a way to be more inclusive with the many super tuners and builders who have ONLY Guinness to approach for any type of recognition. Think about that and remember why the 200MPH Club was started more than a half-century ago.

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 08:39:40 PM »
FIA's Dennis Dean and I determined Hennessy would have to compete with George Poteet's Speed Demon. That will never happen with more than a 200MPH spread. I suggested the Sporting Committee open a dialogue to discuss where such cars might fit into the FIA record breaking matrix. Yes, these vehciles are special construction, but Venom and others like it, are street legal, so perhaps that might be the defining factor for a new class.

Your going to have to define "Street Legal". Most if not all of these are not even close to street legal here in the USA. Street legal means it has to pass current emissions in the form it was raced in and the Hennessy car was clearly not that. Changing the calibration alone that runs the engine is a no, no and as the Federal Government and State governments are looking for income They have been issuing fines and grabbing cars right and left. While I agree there needs to be a place for them calling them street legal isn't it.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »
So you were hired by them and can give us the word that they and their work is okay?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
So you were hired by them and can give us the word that they and their work is okay?

Sounded that way to me too... I feel so much better about it now with that info coming from such a trusted source  :roll:  :|

Maybe it can run in the new NASCAR FIA class, sounds like it fits the bill
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

velocity

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 11:19:23 PM »
Some are rather presumptuous in their thinking and commenting.

No one "hired me." No one paid Breedlove, or Penske, or Alex Xydias. Understand that most EVERY interview is done free-of-charge. We were all happy to help the bigger storyline and will get a copy of the show as "payment." We have NO IDEA what Hennessy's arrangement was, if you are curious, go ask him.

"Street legal" is straight-forward in transportation, but to help those struggling, it means capable of being licensed, registered and driven on the public roads. As for the term "production" car, that definition has ebbed and flowed throughout the automotive world for decades and will doubtless continue to do so.

As for OBD emission cut points, that also radically changes with the geographic location of "non-attainment" areas. There are places in the USA where no emission tests are required and others where the NoX, CO and Hydrocarbons are barely tolerated. Further, you can legally change the tune of a emission controlled vehicle when it being operated in a racing scenario. The vehicle must be returned to compliance for public roads. Drag racers have been doing this for years although I venture to guess not all "detune" their rides for the road.   

Offline jl222

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46:07 PM »
Velocity... Any car can inter at Bville and run '' time only'' as long as it passes the safety requirements and no class is available.

This would give them a legitimate time slip. NOT an estimated GPS time or rpm related time. Based on what they think tire growth or wheel slippage might be. YOU should know this.                                                                           
 It would not be a record but a legitimate time slip, and if one could make it 5 miles to exit trap, a top speed time

JL222
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:11:40 AM by jl222 »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 12:13:49 AM »
To me "street legal" means that there is a license plate on the car.

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

"Street legal" is straight-forward in transportation, but to help those struggling, it means capable of being licensed, registered and driven on the public roads. As for the term "production" car, that definition has ebbed and flowed throughout the automotive world for decades and will doubtless continue to do so.

As for OBD emission cut points, that also radically changes with the geographic location of "non-attainment" areas. There are places in the USA where no emission tests are required and others where the NoX, CO and Hydrocarbons are barely tolerated. Further, you can legally change the tune of a emission controlled vehicle when it being operated in a racing scenario. The vehicle must be returned to compliance for public roads. Drag racers have been doing this for years although I venture to guess not all "detune" their rides for the road.   

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Street LEGAL has a meaning and if your going to have a class limited by saying it must be Street Legal what was done doesn't fit the bill. The car as raced cannot be sold anywhere in the USA today, it breaks just about every federal and state law when it comes to what is required, so the excuse of it being OK in some racing venues still does not make it street legal in any state in the USA.

The federal government would grab that car just as they have been others lately as they are pushing more and more and the fines they have been handing out lately are in the millions of dollars to manufactures. Look I'm all for racing but that car is NOT anywhere close to Street Legal in any part of the USA and Hennessy knows it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
Come on guys, that thing is as street legal as any of the NASCAR cars... maybe more legal than some  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Duramax

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 08:01:23 PM »
The Venom is neither a production car, nor a street car.

I didn't see an airbag in the removable steering wheel, which is required for production, and we must drive by Ambush Emission Sniffers that check our tail pipe emissions and need to pass emissions to register/re-register a car.

It's simply a tuner car with lights and a plate.