Author Topic: "Breaking Barriers" LSR Documentary Tonight  (Read 13940 times)

Offline Cameradude

"Breaking Barriers" LSR Documentary Tonight
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
 :-D :-) FYI. Tonight on Nat Geo Channel (276 on Directv) is premiering their documentary on going fast in a straight line called "breaking Barriers". It's on tonight at 8PM EDT and 5Pm PDT. I haven't seen it all but trailer looks interesting. supposed to be mostly vintage stuff. I'll be watching.  Check it out
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline jl222

Re: "Breaking Barriers" LSR Documentary Tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »
:-D :-) FYI. Tonight on Nat Geo Channel (276 on Directv) is premiering their documentary on going fast in a straight line called "breaking Barriers". It's on tonight at 8PM EDT and 5Pm PDT. I haven't seen it all but trailer looks interesting. supposed to be mostly vintage stuff. I'll be watching.  Check it out

Thanks,just saw this at 6:30 PDT but it reruns at 10

JL222

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
Most of it was a commerical for Hennesey  (SP) A little about early LSR and Breedlove etc.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Duramax

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:45 AM »
Yes, another Hennessey Informercial.   Only the Two Headed Bat Boy gets more ink in the press.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 03:04:52 AM by Duramax »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
Too bad Nat Geo didn't come through with their promise of real LSR drama.

If you really want to see LSR action, watch these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFEnzhP9Y4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFVUNoT5wE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmdffpaO4Vo

The last American team to set the absolute world land speed record.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
I don't know why I did a phone interview and sent them NAE footage. They didn't mention the Aussie Invader or Bloodhound either.
Oh well, that's the way it goes!
Ed

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
They had Jim Miller sitting in a chair for about 1.5 hs at the GNRS. He got maybe 12-15 second of voice over. I hate this tv crap.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Duramax

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
But it's nice to know that Lotus is now putting 427ci blown engines in the Elise!  (aka Venom GT 'production' car)

Can't wait to see them at the showrooms next year.

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »
Golly Gee.... Didn't realize Hennessey was so involved in LSR. Eye opening. I would prefer more LSR and less Hen commercial.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Is it a true production car 500 built, I doubt it. It was a one way run on the space shuttle runway. How was it timed, it is a Guinnes books record according their statement. just wondering. Bring it to the salt and see if it can get enough traction to qualify and back it up with a two way avg.Still is it a true production car? :-o :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:10:49 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
It's not a production car by any standards that i know of. On the show it seemed to be timed by GPS or some other on board system. The show was a disappointment to me. Pure wast of time.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Best part was Breedlove recounting the 600mph record. Not gonna lie, one of my eyeballs tried to leak.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:25 PM »
Maybe it is fast... but it sure is ugly!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
WORLD’S FASTEST PRODUCTION CAR? REALLY?

FIA has not done everything correctly and without criticism over the years. But, it (and its predecessors) has done a commendable job for over a century maintaining legitimacy of world and international land speed records. The vehicle classes and record distances and times are carefully defined and universally understood. The record event rules are clear and readily followed. BNI is similarly respected in their more limited venue.

However, the Nat Geo chapter “Breaking Barriers” lacks credibility. Mediacom and Bandits Brothers, the producers, have foisted on the uninformed public an infomercial as a documentary subject.

It is quite disturbing that the producers set a Hennessy Performance commercial against a backdrop of actual LSR achievements in an attempt to create authenticity for its premise, a “world record” for “top speed” with a “production automobile”. None of that is demonstrably factual.

What sort of a record is claimed? A momentary maximum speed measured by a (Racelogic VBOX 3i) GPS (calibrated?) operated by the record claimant. Who certified the achievement? Hennessy claimed they broke Bugatti’s record. That isn’t even the record that Bugatti claimed! See Sunday Times 04032014.

At least Bugatti used an independent speed certifying body, TUV, to proclaim their record average speed run over a one kilometer distance in both directions. Guinness World Records, at least, claims those are important requirements for claiming the record. Why not FIA? Hmmmm!

Apparently, there is not even consensus the Hennessy Venom GT or the Bugatti Veyron (whose “record” was allegedly broken) are actually production automobiles. See this topic of discussion at the Guinness World Records website. Guinness World Records?  Oh my God!

It is of no importance that commercial entities claim some made-up “world record” for million dollar toys. What really sticks in my craw is the producers of this con job using the hard-earned credibility of Xydias (my hero), Breedlove, and Andy Green (balls of titanium) to validate their questionable enterprise.

This infomercial is, in my opinion, an insult to everyone in this landracing community and all real land speed racers who ever lived. I guess that I’m just a grumpy old man.

If you missed the infomercial, Youtube links are attached.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
I finally saw the whole NGC TV show and, frankly, it left a bad taste in my mouth. The historical footage, as little as it was, was interesting. So was the part with the LSR true pioneers-- Xydias, Breedlove, & Green. These self-promoting "reality" shows are anything but reality. More and more, TV seems to be promoting dishonesty.