Author Topic: Motorcycle solid rear wheel vs brake plate-like disk.....  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Hans Blom

Motorcycle solid rear wheel vs brake plate-like disk.....
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:53 AM »
I was wondering about the legality of basically a large disk on either side of your rear wheel in a modified or special construction motorcycle.  If a rear disk wheel is permitted, could you have basically like the roadster guys have , meaning a flat disk that covers the inside of the wheel up to the outside or the rim? This would be in a non-streamlined class as in M-PG or A-PG. While actually theoretically substantively, it's not the wheel, could you have plates on each side if they where only the diameter of the wheel?

Hans

landracing

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:12:57 AM »
I dont have the rule book in front of me... But I remember reading that a solid rear wheel is ok, NO wheel disks permitted at all..

Jon

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »
my point exactly, it is neither a solid wheel, nor a wheel disk.  A solid wheel is self explanatory, and wheel disk, I assume is a disk attached to the rim like your typical moon disk.  This would be a disk attached to the axle covering the wheel area, but not touching, nor rotating with the wheel.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
motorcycle
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:32:50 PM »
The rule book states NO WHEEL DISCS ALLOWED
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

landracing

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:40:05 PM »
Hans,

You cannot even do as you state... Rear wheel rim has to be visible for 180 degrees rear of the axel (horizontal line thru the axel)...

So nope not be those rules you wont be able too.

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
motorcycle
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »
They are also effected by cross winds and that ain't a fun ride. I have seen about 5 bikes go down in the past 22 years and it's ugly to see what a rider goes through. There are rules made for every reason.
Glen :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
INTENT AND RESULT
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:34:36 PM »
The intent of the rule is not always equally understood.
Some of it has to do with the difference in effect if a wheel disk comes off
a car and the effect it would have in a bike.
The rest has to to with aerodynamic limitations that allow greater flexibility
to handle the various conditions the bike is expected to run in.
Theoretical designs produce theoretical results but then you have do deal
 with the real world that is not so compliant.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:57:04 PM »
I kinda figured it wouldn't be allowed since it wouldn't actually be a solid wheel it would be defined as a streamlining aid which of course is behind the axle.  It would look pretty cool though, as long as you didn't blow over.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Looks good in the picture.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 07:30:40 PM »
Spinners would look good also.
Blowing over looks bad no matter what.
It sounds like you understand. :D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Utahfab

Wheel disks
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 07:28:42 PM »
When the rule book says "No wheel disks" what exactly is it referring to?  Does this mean the old Moon disks that screw on the rim are no longer legal?  What are your options?

Does this mean that if you have a streamliner and want a streamlined wheel you have to have custom disk wheels made as your only option?
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »
you can do whatever you want in a streamliner class car or bike

cammer113

Re: Motorcycle solid rear wheel vs brake plate-like disk.....
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 06:51:42 PM »
Crazy cracker!!

Norway/Texas???

I was wondering about the legality of basically a large disk on either side of your rear wheel in a modified or special construction motorcycle.  If a rear disk wheel is permitted, could you have basically like the roadster guys have , meaning a flat disk that covers the inside of the wheel up to the outside or the rim? This would be in a non-streamlined class as in M-PG or A-PG. While actually theoretically substantively, it's not the wheel, could you have plates on each side if they where only the diameter of the wheel?

Hans

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 08:10:27 PM »
so I have always tried to understand this rule. can someone do some rough numbers for me?

assuming I use a 17" solid wheel on my hayabusa. x 2 wheels. how many square" does this equal? I already know the answer. that would equal a cross sectional view to wind of X.

now... take my 6' tall, 62" shoulders, 56" chest, 21" arms, 44" waist, 34" thighs and 20" calves (which equals more than 300lbs) what is my cross sectional view to a cross wind?
how are these two numbers so different with one being illegal and one being perfectly legal (in most states!!) and one of the rules makers makes me physically look like dolan. well, except that big ol' scar on his flank!

Offline tortoise

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »
assuming I use a 17" solid wheel on my hayabusa. x 2 wheels. how many square" does this equal? I already know the answer. that would equal a cross sectional view to wind of X.

now... take my 6' tall, 62" shoulders, 56" chest, 21" arms, 44" waist, 34" thighs and 20" calves (which equals more than 300lbs) what is my cross sectional view to a cross wind?
how are these two numbers so different with one being illegal and one being perfectly legal (in most states!!) and one of the rules makers makes me physically look like dolan. well, except that big ol' scar on his flank!
First off, "solid" wheels are only illegal on the front. Second, when you steer a front wheel, it creates a cross wind.

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 10:00:18 PM »
since when at speed does a wheel turn on a motorcycle while traveling in a straight line? I understand countersteering etc...