Author Topic: border crossing  (Read 4542 times)

Offline lumpy

• New folks
border crossing
« on: May 03, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
Hello folks, I am a Canadian building a bike to compete in the 2015 races,it was my road bike for years the question is do I need special paper work to clear customs for it or the the tools etc.? I still have the ownership in my name. I live across from detroit mich.the border police can be bit of a pain in the butt

Offline Gary Perkinson

Re: border crossing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
On my way from NYC to Grand Rapids to get a new engine for my HHR last year, I crossed into Ontario at Niagara Falls and then back into Michigan at Port Huron and didn't have any problems. Granted, I wasn't trailering it, but it looked non-stock enough that they asked me about it, although really just out of curiosity (in fact, the woman agent at the Port Huron crossing looked the car up and down and finally said, "Interesting rims"--I had baby moons on at the time :-)  They asked me what I had in back--the car was packed with crap--and I told them it was just tools and ramps and things like that, although I think I intentionally didn't mention the five-gallon jug of gas that was also back there--I wasn't sure if taking gasoline over the border was an issue, but I don't think it is. They just waved me through, every time. Just make sure you have your passport...
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
Carry guns into Canada is a real no-no.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
We've never had any problem taking serious stock car operations down south of the border and bringing them back. The drag racers do it all the time as well. I had a routine we used to do years ago of listing everything in the trailer before we went down but we didn't do it in later years and never had issues. You may want to contact border services before you go down or even talk to a drag racer or oval track guy who travels south on a regular basis and see what the standard procedure is these days. I'm not totally current but I've never had issues and I always made sure I kept my act straight.

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
Carry guns into Canada is a real no-no.

Trying to bring guns across the border without proper declaration and paperwork can lead to seizure, charges and time, especially handguns.

No one except law enforcement officers and armoured car services carry guns in Canada. Handguns are very strictly regulated in Canada and you need a special permit anytime you transport a handgun, even between a club and home. Most of the guns that are regularly fired are kept securely at the club sites for target shooting.

The interesting thing is that when I go down to The States I don't bring a gun or carry a gun anywhere I go, and I've spent a lot of time in a lot of places down there. I've never felt any need to carry a weapon because I'm used to being without. I think the biggest thing that makes one feel the need to have a weapon available is the society in which we're raised and live. It becomes almost a lifestyle thing rather than an actual need. At the same time I will not argue with the American right to carry arms in many parts if the country. It's just that I feel comfortable not carrying because that's the atmosphere I've been living in all my life.

Pete

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:21:54 PM »
We've only had one issue in all the years going to the salt. I had someone pulling the trailer once and had to provide him a letter saying that I (the owner) allowed him to be hauling my car into the States. The've have never even looked in the trailer. It must be my honest face. The first year we listed everything in the trailer (what a pain), we were told it was no good unless everything had a serial number. If you do take the chance and not declare something and they catch you, be prepared. You could be barred from the States or coming home you could face seizure, jail, fine, or a cavity search. I just threw in the last one

ted
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »
"...or coming home you could face a cavity search."

Those Canadians think of everything, don't they?  I mean, what a great public service - to station a dentist at border crossings. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »
I bring my bike into the U.S. to go to the Loring Maine Event and to Bonneville every year.  I've never had a problem.  Once I entered Maine at Fort Fairfield near a U.S. Army base, and they made me go inside while they brought out the sniffer dogs and held me up for 15 minutes, but no problems.  If you have some expensive equipment with you, or a bike without a title, I would stop at Canadian Customs before crossing into the U.S. and get a green card and a customs sticker so you can prove you didn't buy them in the States when coming back into Canada.  Lots of Canadian road racers go down and back on a regular basis so most border crossings are aware.  They do usually want to look into the trailer and ask a few questions.  I think they are more concerned about illegal aliens and drugs than bikes and tools. One 24 pack of beer is allowed as well if you have a favorite Canadian beer, although I can't seem to find this info on the internet.
Tom

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline salt27

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
"...or coming home you could face a cavity search."

Those Canadians think of everything, don't they?  I mean, what a great public service - to station a dentist at border crossings. :cheers: :cheers:

"Marathon Man" comes to mind, eay.   :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »
What's that mean, Don? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Sorry Jon, I forgot they didn't have movies in the Upper Peninsula in 1976.   :-D

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
Out here in Skandia, Michigan, we don't have lightning fast dial-up service -- so I can't watch You Tube stuff much at all.  But you've given me a hint -- that Marathon Man is a movie.  Let's see if I can guess about what.  How about it's either a guy that buys his gasoline from Marathon gas stations only?  If not that -- it's got to be about one of those guys that competes running a little bit over 26 miles.

How'd I do?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:20 PM »
Failed.   :evil:

On second thought, technically you're right.   :cheers: