Author Topic: Tank Placement  (Read 3254 times)

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
Tank Placement
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
I'm working on my rear engine roadster reconfiguring it for twin turbos so I need to build new tanks. The area on the car where a oil tank might work is in the rear beside the suspension bars and on top of the frame. The tank would protrude 3" outside the frame. This area is between the frame and the body. My question is: Is it allowed and/or advisable to mount part of the tank outside the vertical plane of the chassis? This is the first time posting a pic (hope it works)

Thanks
Ted

B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Tank Placement
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »
I'm working on my rear engine roadster reconfiguring it for twin turbos so I need to build new tanks. The area on the car where a oil tank might work is in the rear beside the suspension bars and on top of the frame. The tank would protrude 3" outside the frame. This area is between the frame and the body. My question is: Is it allowed and/or advisable to mount part of the tank outside the vertical plane of the chassis? This is the first time posting a pic (hope it works)

Thanks
Ted

The picture ...

... worked fine, keep them coming  :-).

We don't have an oil tank there but do have ....

... the rad-in-a-box in a similar location on the right side and ...

...the intercooler ice water tank on the left side.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20construction%20menu.html

The car went through tech with no problems.  It might be nice to see an oil tank better protected, but we are probably not the ones to ask about that,

Sum
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:26:58 PM by Sumner »

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Thanks Sumner
I'm thinkin some protection would be better too. Boy you sure run out of space in a hurry.
B/STR  209.97 best
2 club member 2012

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
Ted, I know space is tight but is there enough room to fit a bit of a cage around it. Even plating the inside of the cage similar to a roll cage might be beneficial. Tying the tank down firmly will also be really important. The part that makes me nervous is that the oil is likely fairly close to the exhaust system and if something does go wrong I'd like to see the chance of fire absolutely minimized.

Pete

Offline krusty

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:19:27 PM »

Meh. If the bulkhead does its job, the flames should stay behind the driver as long as the vehicle is moving forward  :mrgreen: Reference young Mr. Emmons  C/BFRMR in 2011. Caught on fire, completed the run, and took it to record cert. We were behind them in line; the consensus was "it'll buff out".  :evil: Some nerf bars might be helpful, however.

That's a big damn dry sump tank. Our C/GRMR, which is a bit quicker than your B record, only needs a 5 gallon tank and only has 4.25 gallons in the complete system. At the size you show, you can do a lot of turbo oiling! Your box looks like approx. 24 x 18 x 6 which is a bit over 11 gal.

I have a proven deaeration system for rectangular tanks using Oberg filter(s) which I'm finishing the build on currently. Don't let the round tank/swirl system guys get you crossed up.  :-D  8-)

vic

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Thanks guys
I think i'll go the safer route and put a bar parrallel to the top bar and another parrallel to the frame rail on the bottom then tie them together. The tank is smaller than it looks and measures in at just over 5 gal. I think that if I'm going to the work I'll put the fuel tank on the other side. It's in the front now but not having to run the fuel lines past the driver is better. As can be seen in the pic the angle part of the water tank is visible. The exhaust will run upwards through this area and exit out the trunk lid area. I'm not too sure how to isolate it from the oil tank and fuel tank on the other side.

ted
B/STR  209.97 best
2 club member 2012