Author Topic: 2014 Ohio Mile Kick Off  (Read 17374 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: 2014 Ohio Mile Kick Off
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »
#1010?  That's Gerald Davenport's Crosley Super Sport.

Impeccable build quality on that one.

http://www.crosley1010.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

His number - 1010 - references Romans, Chapter 10, verse 10 - and thus, the car is referred to as "The Witness".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
#1010?  That's Gerald Davenport's Crosley Super Sport.

Impeccable build quality on that one.

http://www.crosley1010.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

His number - 1010 - references Romans, Chapter 10, verse 10 - and thus, the car is referred to as "The Witness".

Thats it Chris, I knew someone would fill me on it! Thanks for the link as well

gkabbt

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »
And Frankie, if you see it at Bonneville, please take time to look it over.
As Chris said, impeccable build quality and probably one of THE best I have seen!

Gregg

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 06:49:12 PM »
Gerry:  When I saw the question Frankie was asking I presumed it was the little Crosley -- but couldn't find it in your Photobucket pictures.  How'd I miss it?  To add my comments about the car -=- yes, it is a fine example of how to make a little car go - and look great while it's going.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 06:58:49 PM »
Jon, Gerald's Crosley pics are in my Photobucket links from Friday and yesterday.
You might have missed it in my Friday link as he had the front end off for inspection.
Put yer glasses on and look again.....LOL!  :-D  :-D  :-D

Gerry

Trying to do my update for today but the internet here at the hotel is having issues!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:00:52 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »

Gerry

:? ?

:-D

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
Excellent day for Land Speed Racing here in Wilmington!
Issues in the timing system did not allow racing to get underway till about 10:30 AM. Because of this, the airport authority allowed racing to go to 06:00 PM instead of 04:00 PM.
Again, as yesterday, didn't get any speeds while I was at the starting line. I sporadically heard speeds on radios in tow vehicles but unfortunately CRS has kicked in! We'll need to wait for the run log from Tonya.

I don't know the drivers name but a silver Saturn caught fire near the finish line around 11:00 AM and halted the race briefly. Driver was OK.....car was hurt!  When I went down to the finish line I stopped by to talk to photographer David Whealon and he showed me his pics of the Saturn. Kinda looked like a funny car fire with flames out of the front fender wells and down the side of the car! Would not have liked to have been the driver of that car!

On his second pass ever on pavement, Donny Cummins ran a smoking 222 in the Jesel car! I think this was top speed of the meet! As I posted earlier, he is part of the Cummins, Beck, Davidson and Thornsberry 300 MPH 911 A/BFR that runs El Mirage and Bonneville. I tried to convince him to bring the 911 to Wilmington and he said no go due to lack of suspension.....BUMMER. I would LOVE to see that roadster!

Around 2:30 PM Norris Andersen, who has run at Bonneville for many years, was on a very good pass in his Studebaker truck when he blew a rear tire. He started sliding on the pavement, got in the grass and ended up near the short shutdown exit. Thankfully, it remained upright the entire time. Such a gorgeous truck. Pics are in my link.

Unfortunately, Sean Moates had ems issues all weekend and never got any good runs in with his BIG Black Cadillac.

I would like to give a BIG thumbs up to the III Gen Racing Ecotec powered Chevette. This team is 3 generations of the Lindsey family out of Missouri having fun. Due to the wind yesterday and late start today, made only two passes this meet. Royce (2nd generation) made a 117 pass yesterday with the strong headwind. Today, Brady (3rd generation) made a pass of 124.7xx just shy of his D license. What is so COOL is that Brady has just recently turned 16. REALLY nice family and it's GREAT to see the younger generation having fun in this sport. To top off that off, Butch (1st generation) gave me one of the t-shirts they had made up when they went to Bonneville.

As for the Hot Rod Top Speed Shootout:
Real Street winner was Bill Ammaral in his 2nd gen "Death Proof" Camaro with a 208!
Super Street winner was Brian Acton driving the Geezer 2 Express Firebird with a 217!
EXCELLENT runs from both cars/drivers!

As for bikes, IIRC quite a few of the fast ones were in the 175-210 range.....Sorry, I'm a car guy!

Again, GREAT day of Land Speed Racing.

Here is my Photobucket link from the staging lanes, start and finish lines:

http://s947.photobucket.com/user/GKABBT/library/Wilmington%2005042104

As usual, I hope you enjoy.

Gregg

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:55:05 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »

Gerry

:? ?

:-D

:cheers:

Chris, It's a Jon thing. He got my name mixed up last year on the way to WoS and I guess it just stuck!

Gregg or Gerry or Whatever!  :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »
Gerry:  When I saw the question Frankie was asking I presumed it was the little Crosley -- but couldn't find it in your Photobucket pictures.  How'd I miss it?  To add my comments about the car -=- yes, it is a fine example of how to make a little car go - and look great while it's going.

OK Jon, I'll make it easy for you.....LOL!

That's all I got!

Gregg or Gerry or Whatever.....LOL!  :-D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:03:20 PM by gkabbt »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 11:01:52 PM »
Mark, Gregg, David,

Big thanks for all the pics and reports, I enjoyed all of them.

Ed

gkabbt

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 11:33:50 PM »
Mark, Gregg, David,

Big thanks for all the pics and reports, I enjoyed all of them.

Ed

Ed, I enjoy taking/posting pics and giving updates so everyone, who is not, here can kinda get the feel of what's happening.
I know what it's like to be stuck at home when you would REALLY like to be where the action is!

Gregg

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »
Gerry, when did you start calling yourself "Gregg"?  I thought I used that moniker for you a few times and you corrected me.  Well, whatever you want to use as your name -- thanks for the reports and photos.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sabat

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
I just heard that James Hight ran 202+ on a naked turbo 600 this weekend?  Into a huge headwind? Can anyone confirm this, wow!!!  Is this the first naked 600 over 200?  -Dean

Offline osti

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:23 PM »
I just heard that James Hight ran 202+ on a naked turbo 600 this weekend?  Into a huge headwind? Can anyone confirm this, wow!!!  Is this the first naked 600 over 200?  -Dean

I can 100% confirm he ran the number. I saw him run and I saw the timeslip.

As for the first naked 600 over 200 I can't confirm it but James said he was pretty sure that it was the first one ever. Since he's a 600 guy I figure he follows it closer than me. LOL!

Ryan

Offline sabat

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Thanks Ryan, that's an astounding achievement, especially in a huge headwind. I'd love to see a pic, I hope David Whealon got one of James at the traps.